Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion
AotP General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Old July 16th, 2015, 01:11 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth
Re: Magic: the Gathering Strategy Board Game

When I saw that I had missed 5-6 new pages of discussion in the last day I thought I had missed something. Turns out I didn't.
Old July 16th, 2015, 01:32 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
<~snip/snip~>
WotC is not the nicest company in the gaming world, and they really only care about two games - Magic and D&D. They are known for getting the rights to a game and shortly after discontinuing it. If they wanted Heroscape to continue and expand and flourish they wouldn't have cheaply used already existing D&D minis for Heroscape's last expansions and then axed it. If they wanted to bring Heroscape back then they'd simply bring it back.

Call me negative or whatever, but a lot of you guys are over-positive. This is not to get people interested in Heroscape (although it might ironically), it's to get even more people into Magic. As I've frequently heard, a lot of the people trying this game have never heard of Heroscape. And Wizards definitely hasn't advertised it was based off it.
<~snip/snip~>
I agree with you @Cleon - I call it "eliminating potential threats to their own juicy Ca$h Cow$." There is a lengthy Geeklist on BBG about how WotC's parent corporation, THE HasBORG, ate the World (or at least the gaming industry). They also have a long sordid history of not just acquiring the rights to publish games, but entire game companies (i.e. Milton Bradley and Parker Brothers, etc.) and discontinuing MANY wonderfully great games that did not fit into their plans to maximize the return on their investments.

And it is IRONIC that this new AotP game just might win some of those curiosity seekers over from the Dark Side into the HeroScape Community. It is also profound to realize that very much of the 'Over-Positivity' that we are reading come from our peers is probably based upon the hope of that unintended consequence becoming a reality. That is speculative at best and may prove to be as disappointing as D&D-scape and Battleship Galaxies were.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old July 16th, 2015, 01:40 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

For now, I'm going to enjoy Arena. I hope others will as well. Let's give the game time to release more widely before we worry too much about the future.
Old July 16th, 2015, 01:52 PM

Johngee has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grishnakh View Post

MtG: AotP is not billed as a Heroscape game. It doesn't say it's a Heroscape game, it doesn't say it's inspired by Heroscape, it doesn't say it's from the creators of Heroscape, etc. To me it sounds exactly like they are trying to distance themselves from Heroscape. So, I'm just giving them the benefit of the doubt and saying it's not Heroscape and belongs, at least on our Heroscape site, in Other Games.
@Grishnakh - thanks for comment that adds weight to the suggestion that I made a few pages (already) back. IF WotC is *NOT* going to acknowledge the HeroScape roots of this new game to the curiosity seeking newbies that they are attempting to win over to their MtG (seemingly) bottomless pit, THEN it is up to us the HeroScape Community to get the word out and let the truth be know by FLOODING their sites and forums with Photos and Text proclaiming the wonders of HeroScape, the magnificence of the compatibility, and praising CVN the designer of BOTH for his fabulous designs (including BSG and even Battle Ball), with reference to the historical record and links to our own site. I don't want to give WotC another nickel, but this is my marketing strategy to attract maybe a few new-comers away from the Dark Side to join the HS Community. Does anyone have a better idea?
P.S. I apologize for dragging you back into this. Hope to see you in liny on sat.

Member: Mid-Atlantic Region 'Scapers

"Strategy without tactics is the most circuitous route to victory, but great tactics without a strategy is just the cacophony before defeat." ~Sun Tzu 500 BCE
Old July 16th, 2015, 01:59 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Attention Lurkers:

Many of the most excited people in this thread do not speak for most of us. We like them anyway, because they're our peeps.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; July 16th, 2015 at 02:17 PM.
Old July 16th, 2015, 02:15 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

Potential Major Forums...
You could just create a forum for other board games in general. Especially those related to scape in some way.

Games that Tastes Like Heroscape
It's Heroscape But It Isn't
Champions and Commons

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old July 16th, 2015, 02:25 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

I'd be happy just seeing a forum/sub-forum for it in the Off-Topic section. Just somewhere people can group together threads about variants, rules adjustments, battle-reports, etc.
Old July 16th, 2015, 02:28 PM

gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness gamjuven wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I'll chime in again, lol. I personally am not taking this game as being Heroscape reborn or anything like that. I also have no plans on combining the two. I love Heroscape, but I am keeping it pure. I personally don't use any CV3 stuff or anything like that. Not that that is wrong for anyone else, just not my taste.

I like this new game. It reminds me of Heroscape, so it brings about the same kind of excitement. It has it's own differences and I look forward to seeing what it can do. I really hope it succeeds but I am very anxious and worried because of how games like this have been handled in the past. I am trying to stir up excitement for the game.

My reasoning for wanting a separate forum for this game is as follows:

-I think that even though it's not Heroscape, it strikes the same chord as Heroscape, and that a lot of people that like Heroscape will like this game.
-Right now there is no fansite or forum for this new game. It's not even on the main website. There are the boardgamegeek forums but I personally don't like them as much as this.
-This is an established fansite with a dedicated community with a lot of the same members that would be interested in AotP, so I think it naturally lends itself to a subforum.
-I think there would be enough people that think like me that would like to see this too. I don't think it detracts from Heroscape at all.
-I want to have similar discussions for AotP that I did for Heroscape, and I know that will succeed the most from a fansite like this with a community like this.
Old July 16th, 2015, 03:20 PM

stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness stubobj wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Well the name will definitely sell this product. I didnt mention it all to any of the guys at the LGS or the owner. The reason being because Ive tried showing off heroscape before and I didnt get a good response. The owner said hes got 3 copies coming in so we'll see if the players will take to it just because of the name alone.

Peace is a lie, there is only passion. Through passion, I gain strength. Through strength, I gain power. Through power, I gain victory. Through victory, my chains are broken. The Force shall free me.
Old July 16th, 2015, 03:45 PM
Silly quozl, dinosaurs are for orcs!

quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer quozl is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johngee View Post
@Grishnakh - thanks for comment that adds weight to the suggestion that I made a few pages (already) back. IF WotC is *NOT* going to acknowledge the HeroScape roots of this new game to the curiosity seeking newbies that they are attempting to win over to their MtG (seemingly) bottomless pit, THEN it is up to us the HeroScape Community to get the word out and let the truth be know by FLOODING their sites and forums with Photos and Text proclaiming the wonders of HeroScape, the magnificence of the compatibility, and praising CVN the designer of BOTH for his fabulous designs (including BSG and even Battle Ball), with reference to the historical record and links to our own site. I don't want to give WotC another nickel, but this is my marketing strategy to attract maybe a few new-comers away from the Dark Side to join the HS Community. Does anyone have a better idea?
P.S. I apologize for dragging you back into this. Hope to see you in liny on sat.
Yes, I have a better idea. Give WotC some nickels too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Craig Van Ness View Post
I highly recommend C3V and C3G customs!
Old July 16th, 2015, 03:49 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

double post. oops.

= =
Old July 16th, 2015, 03:52 PM
Enjoy the Sausage

Quote:
Originally Posted by quozl View Post
yes, i have a better idea. Give wotc some nickels too.
d o e s n o t c o m p u t e

= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; July 16th, 2015 at 03:53 PM. Reason: Hmm. Nothing I can do to get all caps. I guess all lower case, then.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Arena of the Planeswalkers: MtG > AotP General Discussion