Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Closed Thread

Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:18 PM

hippogog Woo who?
Hippogog's Customs

After receiving feedback from the community concerning my earlier post, I've decided to take my customs down for a complete review, and to remove the "Sample" overlays that were obscuring the cards.

I will be re-posting them to a new thread, as my review progresses.

Headfoot's Customs Thread

As always, thanks to everyone for their feedback.

-hippogog

Last edited by hippogog; January 24th, 2009 at 12:55 PM.
Old January 22nd, 2009, 10:22 PM
Super Bowel

Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker Simpsons Scaper knows what's in an order marker
Re: Hippogog's Customs

They look cool!

Without dark, there is no light.
Without bad HScape figs, there are no good ones.
Dund is important, therefore
Old January 23rd, 2009, 01:54 AM

Utgar_strategist is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Neat what about mine you like mine? I think your are nice.

If you meet Utgar you have three choices 1 Bow before him and serve him 2 Be eaten by Marro 3 Be Mindshackled I'd go with the first one if I were you.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:14 AM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

You left these DemonBlade figs on their square bases???
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:00 PM

hippogog Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Utgar_strategist View Post
Neat what about mine you like mine? I think your are nice.
Thanks. I haven't looked at your customs yet, but I will.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 02:23 PM

hippogog Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onacara View Post
Thanks for your comment.

I think you mean Dreamblade, and the answer is yes. I focus more on the design of the figure and creation of the army card rather than conversion of the base. About the only thing I do with the actual figure is cover the bottom of the base with self-sticking foam, which covers the Dreamblade rules info that can normally be seen there.

My hope is that a fun design and professional looking army card will go a long way to making up for the figure not being on an authentic base.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:09 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Originally Posted by hippogog View Post
Quote:

I think you mean Dreamblade,

See what happens when I stay up too late.

The problem with not rebasing them is that I do believe square bases do not fit on the hexes to accomodate the "entire figure base must fit on a hex" rule of the game which would make these figures "illegal"

Last edited by Onacara; January 23rd, 2009 at 03:21 PM.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 03:35 PM

hippogog Woo who?

Quote:
The problem with not rebasing them is that I do believe square bases do not fit on the hexes to accomodate the "entire figure base must fit on a hex" rule of the game which would make these figures "illegal"
Thanks. That's a good observation. My experience is that the square bases fit "well enough," but I will give this some more thought.
Old January 23rd, 2009, 04:19 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Just took a quick look at your Jandar figs and my first thought is: OVERPOWERED. For instance, Adamantine armor subtracts three wounds from whatever is rolled. Two attack dice roll an average of one skull. So to come anywhere close to wounding this guy, you have to have a minimum of 7 attack dice?!! Only one or two figs in the game have an unmodified attack of 7 or more (Jotun, Nilf, SuBak Na and possibly an enraged Krug/Hulk off the top of my head).

Even "Hard as Ice," requiring a minimum of 5 attack dice is a bit excessive.

Triumphant Knight: Do his three "bonuses" stack? In other words, does he give +3 A/D to Human Knights who follow Jandar? If so, way overpowered. The only figure that comes close to this type of Bonus in HS is Spartacus (+1 A/D/M to Glads), a 200 point figure that doesn't bond...

Once you clarify these, I'll think about looking at the others.

Brandon

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old January 23rd, 2009, 05:11 PM

hippogog Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B.I.V. View Post
Just took a quick look at your Jandar figs and my first thought is: OVERPOWERED. For instance, Adamantine armor subtracts three wounds from whatever is rolled. Two attack dice roll an average of one skull. So to come anywhere close to wounding this guy, you have to have a minimum of 7 attack dice?!! Only one or two figs in the game have an unmodified attack of 7 or more (Jotun, Nilf, SuBak Na and possibly an enraged Krug/Hulk off the top of my head).

Even "Hard as Ice," requiring a minimum of 5 attack dice is a bit excessive.

Triumphant Knight: Do his three "bonuses" stack? In other words, does he give +3 A/D to Human Knights who follow Jandar? If so, way overpowered. The only figure that comes close to this type of Bonus in HS is Spartacus (+1 A/D/M to Glads), a 200 point figure that doesn't bond...

Once you clarify these, I'll think about looking at the others.

Brandon
Thanks for the comments Brandon!

With regard to Adamantine Bodyguard, I was a bit concerned about the Adamantine Armor 3 ability, as this took me beyond the Tough Hide 2, Hard As Ice 2, and other damage reduction abilities I had used previously (at the time of design, on other figures). My thinking was that, as a bodyguard, the figure should be especially tough to kill. Perhaps a damage reduction of 1 on the others and 2 on him would be better, or a higher cost for the ability.

With regard to Knight Triumphant, yes the bonuses stack, by design. If I'm not mistaken there are only a few Jandar Human Knights in the game, and with this figure I wanted to give players a compelling reason to make an all Jandar Human Knight army. The comparison to Spartacus only goes so far, since his bonus applies to all figures of the specified type, whereas with Knight Triumphant, it is an aura (i.e. the figures must be within 3 clear sight spaces). And even with his great stats and Gladiator bonus, I've always thought Spartacus was a bit over-priced.

As you look at the other figures (if you look at them), you'll probably find a common theme of "overpowered." My goal with these figures was to create something compelling - something players would see and get excited about - without going overboard. However, I tend to err on the side of "overpowered but cool" rather than "balanced but forgettable."

In any case, thanks for the comments! The feedback is very much appreciated.

-hippogog
Old January 23rd, 2009, 06:09 PM
Spandau Ballet Fanboy

The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla The B.I.V. is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
I tend to err on the side of "overpowered but cool" rather than "balanced but forgettable."
Well, if that's the case, then you've certainly acheived what you set out to do. I'm much more conservative in custom building so I'm kinda coming at it from the opposite point of view. I figure, since customs can be tweaked, I'd rather start small and go up from there, rather than trying to nerf an overpowered unit.

Quote:
No problem, Hopefully I didn't come off as too negative!

Brandon

I'm HipHoppa on Urban Rivals! Get cool rewards for your first credit purchase with my invitation code 6360776!
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Custom Creations
The B.I.V.'s Big Bad Heroic Creations
Old January 23rd, 2009, 09:08 PM

hippogog Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by The B.I.V. View Post
Quote:
I tend to err on the side of "overpowered but cool" rather than "balanced but forgettable."
Well, if that's the case, then you've certainly acheived what you set out to do. I'm much more conservative in custom building so I'm kinda coming at it from the opposite point of view. I figure, since customs can be tweaked, I'd rather start small and go up from there, rather than trying to nerf an overpowered unit.

Quote:
No problem, Hopefully I didn't come off as too negative!

Brandon
Not at all! Thanks again for the insight.

-hippogog
Closed Thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards