Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:01 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Global Warming?

Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart101 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
Quote:
Okay, just felt like mentioning that we are having the coldest spell in Florida that we have had in a few years. I guess it's thanks to Global Warming I had to wear a jacket during the summer. In Florida. Yeah.
This entire statement shows you do not understand what the "Global" in global warming means.

It does not mean that every single point on Earth is increasing in temperature - it means that the aggregate world wide is increasing.
Sorry, double post, but: That has to be the most convienent excuse ever!
Actually, no. It's about the most basic fact you can get in climatology. If you can't understand that, you have no chance of understanding anything else.

Let me break it down to you real simple. If you have 4 rooms, each at 50 degrees, and the rooms are the same size, then the aggregate is 50 degrees.

However, if one of the rooms drop to 45 degrees, one stays at 50 degrees, and the other two rise to 55, guess what the aggregate is now?

51.25 degrees. Despite the guy in the first room saying it's colder, overall it is indeed hotter.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:03 PM
Needs Reassurance

braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby!

Edit: I regret that comment, sorry if I offended you Jschild.

Need miniatures painted?

People to trade with: sixthflagbearer

Callipygian girls make the world go 'round.

Last edited by braveheart101; December 2nd, 2009 at 02:52 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:08 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth

Sometimes, I almost miss El Niño.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old December 2nd, 2009, 01:15 PM
Quest Quitter

Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death! Agent Minivann is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
Here's an interesting blog post I read this week that looks at the bigger picture of how climate change sceptics/deniers and believers do/can/should interact. A highly edited version:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharon Astyk
...But more importantly, I don’t believe that people can be easily and accurately divided into enlightment categories – I think they are mostly a distraction. ...

The truth is that if you could meaningfully divide the world up into climate skeptics and climate believers and use that information politically, then we’d already be acting on climate change. The fact is that you can’t – the vast majority of people who believe we should do something about climate change believe that we shouldn’t do anything very difficult, expensive or inconvenient – pretty much what the skeptics believe. ...

The truth is that even without acceptance of climate change, tens of thousands of people recognize the essential emptiness of our center and are looking for a better way. The truth is that even if we disagree on peak oil, or on the face of the financial collapse, we have things to speak about. Even if we fight over important (I do not claim they are not important, just perhaps not as important as preventing the worst outcomes of our future) issues that are simply secondary...

As long as we fixate on what we believe, rather than on the common sense that things are coming down around us, on means rather than ends, there’s no chance that our response will do what it needs to – give the best possible results we can get now *and* simultaneously serve us as well as possible if, as seems likely, we fail. ...

I get angry when I see someone believe passionately in something I think is deeply wrong – but I am adult enough to know that what matters is not that you believe as I do, but that we find a way to live and go forward...
I made a blog post a while back about a statement JFK made in his inaugural address that said in essence find the common ground and act on that. Then work on the stuff the two sides don't agree on. It just seems that the only legislation that gets proposed now days is the radical all or nothing stuff that one side or the other doesn't like. It seems like a lot of the calls for action are the "We have to do this all right now or else we will pass the point of no return in the next X years" types. Those vocal fringe elements are only fueling the skepticism, in my opinion. Get the stuff done we can agree on and then work on the rest. Chances are most people will be happy with that. The extremes at both ends of the spectrum will never be happy, so it would be nice if they we could just put them on ignore.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 02:31 PM

Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby! Draconious rolls all skulls baby!

jschild you kind of twisted everything I said up there...

I did not say anyting about a wild swing... or sunden change... it has been slowly changing since the last ice age...

I am not saying it is a hoax, I am just saying people are exagerating and taking advantage of it...

I did not mention scientists... its more hollywood and "society's what is cool now" aspect...

You basically agreed with what I was saying with the end of the wold just being an end of cycle... yet you word it like your arguing against it...

And yes Myans...
Old December 2nd, 2009, 02:47 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Except it's not slowly changing - it's changing not only fast, it's changing faster than our worst case scenario's.

Scientist's are the ones who are warning that something needs to be done - yes there are goofballs overstating stuff, but the problem is that we have politicians outright lying about the science - making bs claims that the world is cooling when every year this decade has been the hottest ones on record. Every single one in the top ten.

I didn't agree at all with the end of the world or end of they cycle - I quite clearly said the Mayans never once claimed it would be the end of the world. That's just stupid New Age bs (Yes, lefties can ignore and twist real science just like the righties).

Quote:
I like the way you cant debate, so you just mock people
I've been given nothing to debate except conspiracy theories that require literally thousands of climatologists around the world to perpetrate the greatest hoax in the history of the world.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old December 2nd, 2009, 02:50 PM
Needs Reassurance

braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby!

Hey, quick question: Can JsChild show me any global warming models that have been proven correct?

Need miniatures painted?

Old December 2nd, 2009, 02:55 PM
Dr Feelgood

No, but I can show you the best one's that were all proven inaccurate in the worst possible way.

EDIT: And they are also still the ones that best fit the continuing evidence and predictive power. They also all underestimated what is happening.

Old December 2nd, 2009, 02:57 PM
Needs Reassurance

Please do. Can you also explain the fact that 3200 scientests deny global warming, oh, wait, climate change?

Need miniatures painted?

Old December 2nd, 2009, 03:01 PM
Dr Feelgood

http://www.realclimate.org/

Hit that for the models and projections and predictions.

And please link me that 3200 please...

Is that like the one they claimed in Congress, full of lawyers, tv weatherman, and scientists who believe in climate change and had their names put on there without their permission and lying about what they stood for?

http://www.giss.nasa.gov/research/modeling/

is also a great website, but beware, it's all technical.

EDIT:
Here is actually the best resource probably.
http://ipcc-wg1.ucar.edu/wg1/wg1-report.html

Last edited by jschild; December 2nd, 2009 at 03:06 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 03:08 PM
Needs Reassurance

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worl...l-warming.html

Heres something interesting that I read about about the polar ice caps : "A NOAA report shows that ice levels which had shrunk from 5 million square miles in January 2007 to just 1.5 million square miles in October, are almost back to their original levels. "

I am looking for the NOAA report right now.

Need miniatures painted?

Last edited by braveheart101; December 2nd, 2009 at 03:19 PM.
Old December 2nd, 2009, 03:47 PM
Dr Feelgood

..Sigh... nobody reads my links...

http://www.reuters.com/article/lates.../idUSN29351585

Your report is from 2008 and was based on satellite data only.

Please read the link to see what they found when they actually physically went there.

Short story - the ice coverage wasn't what the satellite data implied.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General