Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

View Poll Results: How important to you is the HS backstory?
Integral to my enjoyment of the game. 25 17.99%
I like it, but it isn't integral. 70 50.36%
Irrelevant to my HS game playing. 41 29.50%
I dislike the storyline. 3 2.16%
Voters: 139. You may not vote on this poll

Old August 8th, 2010, 10:37 AM
Theme Nerd

badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness badgermaniac wears ripped pants of awesomeness
POLL: How important to you is the backstory?

When I first started playing Heroscape, it was surprising to me to see the number of people who "got into" the backstory of all of these figures as opposed to "just playing the game".

We see that again with a number of discussions about what ramifications the River of Blood revelations will have on the game.

Now, granted, a poll on this site is not going to be totally representative of all Heroscape players, but I am still curious, how important do you view the Herocscape storyline?
Old August 8th, 2010, 10:42 AM

Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker Killer Lawnmower knows what's in an order marker
Re: POLL: How important to you is the backstory?

I love the backstory. I read all the character bios, even though I don't have msot of them. I love Thormuns journal, and the alliances mean everything to me. Its hard to explain, but it just all clicks for me.

It doesn't really effect my play, but in some cases it does. I've never really played any scenarios, except the one I made, but I like them all the same.
Old August 8th, 2010, 10:43 AM

Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker

The more I know about the game, the more involved I can become in it. Very important.
Old August 8th, 2010, 10:47 AM

Gold1 knows what's in an order marker Gold1 knows what's in an order marker

Pretty much the same for me here. The backstory makes me feel like I'm a part of something a little more than a game. I'm not saying that my overall gameplay is affected by this. I mix and match armies like any other player, but it just makes me more interested in each individual unit.

Check out my fanfics.
Ceasefire
JointStoryThread
Old August 8th, 2010, 10:51 AM

Kroz knows what's in an order marker Kroz knows what's in an order marker

I voted loved it but it's not integral just because it's not going to stop me from playing the game but I think that sometimes they give very good insights on how a certain figure must be played.
Old August 8th, 2010, 12:06 PM
I could go

flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun flameslayer93 is a penguin with a machine gun

I ignore the storyline altogether(hell I forgot that the Moon Tribe belongs to AqillA)

My customs.
NE Ohio Tourney - TBA
SW Ohio Tourney - NHSD 550 points
AotV - Colliding the minis of AotP with the world of HS.
Old August 8th, 2010, 08:12 PM
wants to have Anne Hathaway's babies

Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby! Schulzy rolls all skulls baby!

Okay, prepare for a bit of negativity here, but this is just my opinion and feel free to disagree.

I really don't like the lore and backstory of this game. I think it's kind of stupid and artificial. I ignore it completly. It's really just a flimsy reason to pile robots, aliens, dinosaurs, dragons, elves, army dudes, special ops, and angels and demons into one game. Don't get me wrong, I love the result. I just think that enjoying the game comes from accepting it right off the bat instead of having all the silliness explained.

When I'm imagining customs for Freddy Krueger, Bastila Shan, Gimli, Cairne Bloodhoof, or Batman, I don't think of how they fit into the story. I'm all "Freddy...go fight that dragon."
Old August 8th, 2010, 08:25 PM

stwaz is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Thumbs up Re: POLL: How important to you is the backstory?

I like to keep the backstory in mind when I'm playing. It makes the experience richer. When characters are defeated, we imagine they are transported back to "their world".

But I also prefer a "capture the flag" game to a "kill em all" game.
Old August 8th, 2010, 08:42 PM

Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schulzy View Post
Okay, prepare for a bit of negativity here, but this is just my opinion and feel free to disagree.

I really don't like the lore and backstory of this game. I think it's kind of stupid and artificial. I ignore it completly. It's really just a flimsy reason to pile robots, aliens, dinosaurs, dragons, elves, army dudes, special ops, and angels and demons into one game. Don't get me wrong, I love the result. I just think that enjoying the game comes from accepting it right off the bat instead of having all the silliness explained.

When I'm imagining customs for Freddy Krueger, Bastila Shan, Gimli, Cairne Bloodhoof, or Batman, I don't think of how they fit into the story. I'm all "Freddy...go fight that dragon."
I know who all those people are except for that one guy. You are entitled to your opinion. part of the reason the internet is so great.
Old August 8th, 2010, 09:10 PM

Gold1 knows what's in an order marker Gold1 knows what's in an order marker

Starwars Old Republic I believe. ^

Check out my fanfics.
Ceasefire
JointStoryThread
Old August 8th, 2010, 09:16 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

I like the fact that we have the different generals so I can run general wars games. Other then that the story line has no impact what-so-ever since most people mix and match the figures with no thought of the storyline alliances and fueds.

I really think for at least the offical WOTC/Hasbro run or sancationed tourneys (like Gencon), they should make all participants build armies that would actually fit into the storyline and then only battle vs. armies their army would view as an enemy. In order to do that though they would need to split up the 'good' faction in to a couple of smaller rival factions that fought both Utgar and each other.

Maybe Jandar & Ullar vs. Utgar vs. Einar & Vydar & Aquilla. Then you could build an army using figures from any one of the 3 factions. At home you would still be able to do what ever you wanted of course, but 'offical' tourneyment play would actually follow the story line they spent so much time creating. I think those tourney would actually be more fun since you would not see rats or Q9 mixed in with every army, and you would never play a match vs. the same army you brought.
Old August 8th, 2010, 09:41 PM

SonOfDumbledore is surprisingly tart

I seriously like the backstory. I think it really has an impact abouit how I think about the game and scenarios I come up with.

Giving flowers to people as a sign of affection is stupid. It's like, "Here, Happy Birthday. Now watch these die."

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion