Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old May 21st, 2007, 11:55 AM

dnutt99 has disabled reputation
The Book of Roman Legionnaires

The Book of Roman Legionnaires
Malliddon's Prophecy - Collection 1 - "The IX Roman Legion"

If you cannot see the Army Card graphic, check Hasbro's Unit Page for stats and special powers, plus "character biography" and other non-game unit info.

Character Bio: The foot soldiers of the IX Legion are stalwart, superbly trained and well prepared for war. On Valhalla they have put their
earthly training to good use, fighting endless battles against horrific foes. They are loyal to their commander, always letting him lead the
way in battle; and they are loyal to each other, always advancing in tight formations to shield their fellow soldiers from concentrated enemy
attacks. (Hasbro)

-Rulings and Clarifications-
  • - WARLORD BONDING : How Many Warlords
    How does Warlord Bonding work? Can I take a turn with all the Warlords I control first?
    No, you can take a free (move & attack) turn with any one Warlord you control before taking a turn with the
    Roman Legionnaires. (Hasbro FAQ)

- SHIELD WALL : Opponent’s Adjacent Roman Legionnaires
    Can an opponent’s adjacent Roman Legionnaire enhance my Legionnaire with the Shield Wall special power?
    No, only Roman Legionnaires that you control contribute to your Roman Legionnaires Shield Wall power. (Hasbro FAQ)

Synergy Benefits Received
  • - MARCUS DECIMUS GALLUS : Soldier Leadership
    As Soldiers, Roman Legionnaires may benefit from Marcus Decimus Gallus’ SOLDIER LEADERSHIP movement bonus.

- MARCUS DECIMUS GALLUS : Soldier Attack Enhancement
    As Soldiers, Roman Legionnaires may benefit from Marcus Decimus Gallus’ SOLDIER ATTACK ENHANCEMENT.

Synergy Benefits OfferedC3V and SoV Custom Synergies
Spoiler Alert!

-Heroscapers Community Contributions-

Power Ranking and Master Index
Quote:
Originally Posted by MKSentinel
Power Ranking
Roman Legionnaires- Cheap, effective, and easily boosted stats, the Romans will undoubtedly always be a powerful force. A

Roman Legionnaires
Shield Wall and the Death of a Roman? http://www.heroscapers.com/community...ead.php?t=8077

Unit Strategy Review
  • - TBA

Last edited by R˙chean; April 11th, 2015 at 05:36 PM. Reason: VC synergy added
Old May 25th, 2007, 01:46 AM

Roufus has disabled reputation
What, no comments for the Roman 'better than the greeks in everyway' Legionaires?
Old May 25th, 2007, 09:13 AM

Gidian has disabled reputation
We normally play with 4 players (2 teams) and every player can use up to 400 points. So I just can talk about smaller armies.

A few games ago, I played an army with just the Roman Legionnaires and Marcus Decimus Gallus. With 24 Legionnaires you have nearly always 3 figures standing next to each other so you normaly roll 4 defense dices. Not bad for such a cheap army.
The movement of 5 (thanks to Marcus) is ok and they are fast enough to reach the enemy before they die.
And you will never waist a roundmarker with this army.

Greetings from Germany

Gidian
Old May 25th, 2007, 12:03 PM
regurgitation cynic

Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness Eclipse wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roufus
What, no comments for the Roman 'better than the greeks in everyway' Legionaires?
I used to agree with this whole heartedly, but the last few waves have changed my tune a bit. The massive increase in Disciplined options have made the Greeks far more viable and given them their own strengths over the Romans. Most notably is a matter of flexibility. The Romans really need to get their shield wall bonus to survive against most other troops, which creates a couple problems. It makes them slower over jagged terrain, and it makes them far less flexible. Its easy to spread your troops out, forcing the Romans to choose between launching a full attack or keeping their Defense. The Greeks are a little more forgiving, especially with Parmenio, although both troops really need Marcus have something that resembles movement. I do find, generally, the difference between 2 and 3 Defense to be a significant one.

That said, the Romans have a lot going for them. Perhaps one of the most synergistic units in the game. They boost Marcus, and each other, while receiving two significant boosts in return (movement and attack). Considering they're only 50 points, and Marcus is a STEAL at 100, you end up with a 4 figure squad with 5 Move, 4 attack, and 4 defense. Probably one of the best deals in the entire game. While generally less effective, the Romans also greatly benefit NGS and MBS, giving them some cheap fodder to hide behind while they work on the opponents' heroes. NGS in particular really needs the Romans to tie up Commons that would otherwise slow his progress towards shackling his foes.

Great unit, perhaps excessively so.
Old July 23rd, 2007, 10:24 PM

GForce3062 has disabled reputation
Wow, I can't believe we don't have an 'official' grade on them! With that being said, I'll give one.

Roman Legionnaires- A four figure squad for 50 points is always going to be a steal. And with three attack, they can do plenty of damage. But their two defense and four move is their weak points, but both can be fixed easily by themselves and Marcus. The Roman Legos also have Warlord bonding, which has many options. A

Kinda lengthy but it covers all aspects.

Old July 23rd, 2007, 10:26 PM

hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Here's the official ranking, it just wasn't posted, but there is one. You were right on target here:

Roman Legionnaires- Cheap, effective, and easily boosted stats, the Romans will undoubtedly always be a powerful force. A

Old September 8th, 2007, 03:02 AM

manger has disabled reputation
Keep in mind when you wish to use romans or are playing against romans, yes they are cheap, people draft a lot of them... they are also weak (2D) so people will group them (to get 4D)... this makes them especially vulnerable to splash damage from figures such as DW 9000, Jotun and the AE. THe best counter to a bunch of slow moving romans is a dw9000 hands down!
Old September 8th, 2007, 07:18 AM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness
That is why I try to take the DW's out quickly with ranged units.I also use Marcus to help the warriors and a group of multiple Roman Archers do the trick. When in Doubt pelt them with arrows.

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old September 9th, 2007, 11:51 AM

manger has disabled reputation
I would argue that archers are the worst counter to DW9000... they too have to be clumped together on equal ground... easy pickings to splash damage... also they are out-ranged by 1 hex.
Old September 9th, 2007, 12:32 PM

DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa DingoDarkly is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
I would definitely pick the Legionnaires and Marcus over the SB and Parmenio.
Old September 9th, 2007, 12:51 PM
Wears Shades at Night

Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shades fan wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by manger
I would argue that archers are the worst counter to DW9000... they too have to be clumped together on equal ground... easy pickings to splash damage... also they are out-ranged by 1 hex.
I guess I was just smart were I placed them he was scared of a Jotun I had coming around the back of his castle. I was all about misdirection.

Spread Positivity and the joys of gaming.
Old September 9th, 2007, 09:18 PM

Silver1327 has disabled reputation
Today at Recruit Con it was quite the oppisite. Well against a Deathwalker 8000 a lone Roman Archer rolled one skull against it and, well you know the rest.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units