Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old October 28th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth
Re: Kickstarter: What game(s) are you currently Kickstarting

I'm looking into backing this one. I've heard nothing but good things about Omen. I was disappointed in Tooth & Nail, but liked Shadow of the Sun and Stone & Relic from Small Box Games.

Hand of fate is moving and the finger points to you
...Iron Maiden - The Wicker Man

TUTORIAL FOR RE-BASING FIGURES

3hrs 43mins 32secs = 1242nd of 8808 overall - 1988 Honolulu Marathon
Old October 29th, 2014, 12:46 PM
I reserve my inappropriate love for Heroscape.

Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Gurei-Ornery is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

World of Yo-Ho

@akden , this looks like a Merchants and Marauders using a smartphone for ship maintenance and movement. I am torn on the screen crossover to boardgames that we are seeing. While they would make it easier to keep track of your game, one of the main reasons I buy so many boardgames is to get my kids off of screens.

EDIT: Also, Soccer City, the beautiful game, but I won't link another video.
Old October 29th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
World of Yo-Ho, this looks like a Merchants and Marauders using a smartphone for ship maintenance and movement. I am torn on the screen crossover to boardgames that we are seeing. While they would make it easier to keep track of your game, one of the main reasons I buy so many boardgames is to get my kids off of screens.
Interesting viewpoint. I saw a game with the smartphone function at Gen Con and I immediately thought it was the future of board games.
Nice to have a parent's perspective.
Any other thoughts on the phone/board games in general G-O or anyone else?

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old October 29th, 2014, 01:52 PM

hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness hi1hi1hi1hi1 wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tornado View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurei-Ornery View Post
World of Yo-Ho, this looks like a Merchants and Marauders using a smartphone for ship maintenance and movement. I am torn on the screen crossover to boardgames that we are seeing. While they would make it easier to keep track of your game, one of the main reasons I buy so many boardgames is to get my kids off of screens.
Interesting viewpoint. I saw a game with the smartphone function at Gen Con and I immediately thought it was the future of board games.
Nice to have a parent's perspective.
Any other thoughts on the phone/board games in general G-O or anyone else?
I watched the video and the concept is neat, but I have to agree with Gurei-Ornery here - if I am playing a board game I am doing it to get away from the screens. Even though the phone is in use to play a game, I think people are going to want to still check their email/texts/etc. How long can you sit staring at your blinking notification light?

For reference, I am 24.

Old October 29th, 2014, 02:34 PM
Super Smurfy

Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Xorlof is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

I don't mind some integration, but there's a point where you go to far and you might as well make the whole thing a video game. I think Fantasy Flight has a good view on this issue, in line with my thinking, at least if the statements they made at their Gencon meeting hold up.

I saw the Golem Arcana setup at Gencon. That could be the game Tornado is referring to above. It looked wicked cool, but they may have gone too far--I saw people mostly staring at the screens, not each other or the game laid out before them, at least at the table I was observing. I didn't get to do my own demo of it though, and some of that may change as players get more experienced. I'm watching that game with interest. (BTW, the company behind that game has cool ideas of where digital device integration can lead, and they're hoping to take Golem Arcana in those directions. Listen to the Ludology podcast from a few weeks back to hear about them. Very innovative thinking).

There is nothing more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. --MLK
Old October 29th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Fan Fiction Prompt Master

Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth Tornado is a man of the cloth

Yes it was Golem Arcana at GC. The main complaints I heard online was, it did not work with every device it was supposed to work with and that you really needed to hook up to a larger screen as it was difficult to read everything on the phone screen.

Thanks for the input gentlemen.

A cloud can change its semblance, yet retain its will
With the intimacy of destruction, One knows what it is to be alive
The empty sky holds no reflection, for sorrow
- Eslo Rudkey
Old October 29th, 2014, 03:38 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by akden View Post
Reviving this thread after a bit of a lull. I apologize for the video, but I can't get the stupid link to work, and I'm sick of trying...

Small Box Games has just launched a Kickstarter for what is advertised as the last printing of Omen:Reign of War, the "Omega Edition." For anyone that hasn't played this game, it is a excellent two-player game that involves some excellent player interaction and screwage with some awesome artwork and mechanics (thinking of you @Dad_Scaper) The game has been out of print for a couple of years now, and you can pick up the regular edition for less than $20 through this campaign. Check out it's page on BGG, where it has some excellent reviews by some very well-known names.

Disclaimer: I already own the game, and I don't have any financial interest in Small Box Games, but for anyone not aware, the owner and designer of Small Box Games is John Clowdus, who got his start designing customs on Heroscapers ( @justjohn was his user name, I believe). He has had some modest success with his company, but I think his games deserve much more recognition, particularly Omen and Hemloch, which are both excellent.

Anyway, check the Kickstarter out and maybe help out an old Hersocapers alumni in the process.
Thanks again for the tip, akden. This project funded easily on the first day, I'm hoping for stretch goals. If it hits 1,500 backers, we get a new edition of Hemlock, which is also supposed to be a great game.

Fingers crossed!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old October 29th, 2014, 03:43 PM
Adrian Monk

1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth 1Mmirg is a man of the cloth

I'm looking into
--seems like it might be a strong group game. I missed the chance to play with Robert at DTC, but I've had a chance to chat with him about this and feel like it could be an excellent step up from Coup.

Last edited by 1Mmirg; October 29th, 2014 at 03:43 PM. Reason: Weird that it dropped in the video, not the page link: https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/478379924/operation-faust
Old October 29th, 2014, 04:57 PM
Chewer of Cats

akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness akden wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:
Disclaimer: I already own the game, and I don't have any financial interest in Small Box Games, but for anyone not aware, the owner and designer of Small Box Games is John Clowdus, who got his start designing customs on Heroscapers ( @justjohn was his user name, I believe). He has had some modest success with his company, but I think his games deserve much more recognition, particularly Omen and Hemloch, which are both excellent.

Anyway, check the Kickstarter out and maybe help out an old Hersocapers alumni in the process.
Thanks again for the tip, akden. This project funded easily on the first day, I'm hoping for stretch goals. If it hits 1,500 backers, we get a new edition of Hemlock, which is also supposed to be a great game.
I also own Hemloch, which is a neat area control style card game with a unique theme. Like most of Clowdus' games, it involves the option to use cards in multiple ways, and players have to decide how to use them for the most benefit. My only complaint is that is for two players. If you don't own it by the next tourney, let me know, and I'll bring it along for you to try out.

And @Gurei-Ornery that looks like a pretty neat idea. I love IOS implementations of board games, but I'm not sure if I'm ready for a hybrid. It makes it seem like they got their chocolate in my peanut butter.

Last edited by akden; October 29th, 2014 at 05:00 PM. Reason: Reese's
Old October 29th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Prickly Cactus

Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth Hahma is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dad_Scaper View Post
Quote:
Reviving this thread after a bit of a lull. I apologize for the video, but I can't get the stupid link to work, and I'm sick of trying...

Small Box Games has just launched a Kickstarter for what is advertised as the last printing of Omen:Reign of War, the "Omega Edition." For anyone that hasn't played this game, it is a excellent two-player game that involves some excellent player interaction and screwage with some awesome artwork and mechanics (thinking of you @Dad_Scaper) The game has been out of print for a couple of years now, and you can pick up the regular edition for less than $20 through this campaign. Check out it's page on BGG, where it has some excellent reviews by some very well-known names.

Fingers crossed!
The 1,500 backer stretch goal for Hemloch allows for new Hemloch games to be published and we would still have to pay for them. It seems to read like it's a stretch goal that people would get free with the Omen game, but I saw the question asked on the comments section of the KS page and John replied that it would be an add-on item if it was unlocked.

Though I don't have Omen yet, I do have the Relics of Olympus expansion that I got in the KS for Shadow of the Sun (which is set in the Hemloch world) and Stone & Relic by Small Box. But hopefully it reaches that stretch goal so everyone can get the Relics of Olympus expansion.

Old October 30th, 2014, 01:36 AM

jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jbbnbsmith is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Regarding the integration of board games and smart phones, my biggest concern is support and the smart phone features becoming obsolete. My copy of Squad Leader from 1978 plays just fine after 36 years. Will the same be true for these games? I have a couple mass market games (one is some version of clue) that are maybe 10 years old and the "tech features are no longer supported, rendering the game almost unplayable.

I like smart phone apps that serve as player aides, but don't like board games that are dependent upon an app or any other technology. What is the power is out? What if you have no Wi-Fi or cell phone reception? For me the beauty of a board game is it doesn't need electricity and is timeless. If I want to play games that will be obsolete within ten years I'll play video games. (and I enjoy video games from time to time).

On the other hand, I love being able to play board games using a smart phone app. I'm an android guy so my choices are not as many as an iPhone or iPad, but I have several decent hex & counter war games on my phone as well as Ticket to Ride, Settlers of Catan, and Small World. So I'm not opposed to technology.
Old October 30th, 2014, 07:04 AM
Prickly Cactus

I agree JB.

I don't have a smart phone or tablet yet, I can see how the player aid apps can be useful, while not taking over the board game feel. But I totally stay away from looking at games that have the tech integrated into them, well because I don't have the tech to go with them, but I would more than likely be adverse to them even if I had the tech. While I like video games, I don't ever play them online because I either play them solo or want to enjoy the company of those I'm playing with (my kids). I like board games because I enjoy the human element of it and don't want to feel like I'm playing a video game with a board.

As far as the glitch issues, a guy in my group had gotten that Golem Arcana and had some issues with something not reading something or other. He eventually got it worked out, but it seems like it could lead to issues where the tech can hinder the playability of the game at some point and make it useless.

The one thing I guess I don't like about the phone/tablet versions of games, is that when people play those games on their phone so much, they may be less likely to want to actually play the board game version of it if you ask. Though I can see the benefit of them for people that can't always find people to game with in person, or if they travel or want a quick game during lunch etc.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games