Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's
Official Rules & FAQ's Compilation and discussion of official HeroScape Rules and Frequently Asked Questions. **Special attacks never receive any bonuses.**

Old November 16th, 2016, 03:17 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!
Re: Question Dump: Post Your Questions Here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dok View Post
You can't use Healer if you are playing glyphs face-down.
So would you reveal the glyphs before the match, or would you just ditch Healer from the pool altogether?

(Moving this here so we don't clog up Dignan's Map thread)
Old November 16th, 2016, 03:28 PM
GenCon Main Event Champion - 2010, 2011, & 2017

dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth dok is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
Quote:
So would you reveal the glyphs before the match, or would you just ditch Healer from the pool altogether?

Either works, yeah. If you want to use Healer then you need to flip glyphs up before the game starts (which is my preference anyway).
Old November 16th, 2016, 03:30 PM

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by heroscaper2010 View Post
Quote:

Either works, yeah. If you want to use Healer then you need to flip glyphs up before the game starts (which is my preference anyway).
Thanks a lot!
Old November 16th, 2016, 08:20 PM

misterdoctor Woo who?

Ok, I'm visiting the dump with my first question.

Can anyone recommend some good custom four-player scenarios -- ideally using some combination of RotV, SotM, RttFF, FotA and/or TT? (Or even all of them if such battlefield exists??!!) I have one set each, as well about 60 loose terrain hexes (some extra sparkly water, grass, and rock).

I like the bigger maps, love the ones with a couple of distinct height levels (AliasQTips Secret bases has been a favorite so far), and don't mind taking a bit of time over the building process -- it's at least half the fun for me.

I ask because I finally got to play with a couple of adults yesterday (up to now I have been playing with my daughter and my niece). They were new to the game, and we were playing on a big map/scenario of my own design (my first attempt at such a thing), and I think I made a beginner's error in creating a slightly over-elaborate scenario -- but my friends still loved the game, and my wife -- a skeptic up till now -- enjoyed watching so much she said she wanted to play the next time we all get together. I've been downloading maps over the last week or so but most seem to be for two players ... we could of course just play in two teams of two but I think we'd all enjoy it more if we had our own armies ...

So I need a good four-hander for some relative newbies ...

All suggestions welcome, and thanks in advance ...
Old November 16th, 2016, 08:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by misterdoctor View Post

Can anyone recommend some good custom four-player scenarios -- ideally using some combination of RotV, SotM, RttFF, FotA and/or TT? (Or even all of them if such battlefield exists??!!) I have one set each, as well about 60 loose terrain hexes (some extra sparkly water, grass, and rock).

I like the bigger maps, love the ones with a couple of distinct height levels (AliasQTips Secret bases has been a favorite so far), and don't mind taking a bit of time over the building process -- it's at least half the fun for me.

I ask because I finally got to play with a couple of adults yesterday (up to now I have been playing with my daughter and my niece). They were new to the game, and we were playing on a big map/scenario of my own design (my first attempt at such a thing), and I think I made a beginner's error in creating a slightly over-elaborate scenario -- but my friends still loved the game, and my wife -- a skeptic up till now -- enjoyed watching so much she said she wanted to play the next time we all get together. I've been downloading maps over the last week or so but most seem to be for two players ... we could of course just play in two teams of two but I think we'd all enjoy it more if we had our own armies ...

I don't know of any good scenario maps, but building a custom map that is kinda circular/revolving around a central point and playing Kill-the-Person-to-the-Left is really fun as a victory condition. As the title says, the first person to kill the person to the left wins. It's frantic, and exciting.

If you don't want to play that though, I'm sure there's some people on here that know a good multiplayer scenario with those requirements. Good luck!
Old November 16th, 2016, 09:44 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:

Good question! It's surprisingly difficult, IMHO, to find competitive multiplayer maps. And among the multiplayer maps, there are those for team games, and those for free-for-alls, and the team maps do not (normally) work in the FFAs.

I run multiplayer tournaments once a year, and I've done my best to identify the maps that look good and have a strong competitive feel. Unfortunately, I'm not sure any precisely match your terrain requirements, but one of them might. Also there are 3-player maps mixed in, which you may also need. Check out what's in the spoiler tag of the OP of this thread.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old November 17th, 2016, 04:13 AM

misterdoctor Woo who?

Those are cool maps, DS! Right now they are all just a little large for my current supplies, although I'm on the look-out for more terrain when I can afford it. And Mergaine's Redoubt is almost within my means -- I could probably cheat a version of it by using pieces from my Marvel and Marro sets for areas that will get covered up as I build. But it also gives me a good idea about how to create something of my own along the lines Heroscaper 2010 suggests -- a map that turns around a central point for a "Kill-the-Person-to-the-Left" session -- which sounds like a hoot with the right map ...

Thanks, both, for the great suggestions!
Old November 17th, 2016, 04:29 AM

misterdoctor Woo who?

BTW, here is a pic of the map I made yesterday -- my first map! I *really* enjoyed making it and it played pretty well, though like I say, the scenario I developed to go with it was probably over-complicated. I'll post a few more pics and describe the scenario over on one of the "custom maps" threads when I get a little time if y'all are interested.

Old November 17th, 2016, 10:05 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Those are cool maps, DS! Right now they are all just a little large for my current supplies, although I'm on the look-out for more terrain when I can afford it. And Mergaine's Redoubt is almost within my means -- I could probably cheat a version of it by using pieces from my Marvel and Marro sets for areas that will get covered up as I build. But it also gives me a good idea about how to create something of my own along the lines Heroscaper 2010 suggests -- a map that turns around a central point for a "Kill-the-Person-to-the-Left" session -- which sounds like a hoot with the right map ...

Thanks, both, for the great suggestions!
Right, I thought you might be able to cheat what you needed. If you want a suggestion for rules for a 4-player game, I urge you to go back to my same tournament post, and look at the rules I use there. It's worked for me for half a dozen tournaments, and counting.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old November 17th, 2016, 10:46 AM
PDFin' sweet self spammer

lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth lefton4ya is a man of the cloth

@misterdoctor You can check out the Warzones of Valhalla, Nomad & Longy418 Multi-player Maps as well as a lot of the Official Maps & Scenarios (you can download as one combined PDF) have multi-player scenarios, both team and free-for-all.

As far as making players attack other players evenly in a free-for-all scenario, here is my sugestion:
Quote:
Originally Posted by lefton4ya View Post
See Three-player free-for-alls: how to structure them. My advice (what I do in multiplayer games):
  • In FFA games at the end of the round if you attacked at least one figure in the round, roll a 20-sided die to try to either bring back a squad member or remove a wound from a hero (but not resurrect a hero).
  • In 4+ player games, if you attack one player the round you need 16 or higher, if you attack figures from two players you need a 11 or higher, and if you attack figures from three players you need a 6 or higher.
  • In 3-player games (or after a 4+ player is down to 3 players), if you attack one player the round you needed 16 or higher, if you attack figures from two players you need a 11 or higher.
  • Once it is down to 2 players, the resurrection/heal roll goes away.
  • It makes the game last longer but stops turtling, and people go out of their way to attack 2 or 3 different players a round. Truces still form between 2 players but they don't last long (say until a dragon or Q9 from another player is dead).
  • You could also try instead of requiring someone to just attack an opponent, they must wound them, because sometimes people would attack knowing they wouldn't wound just to get the bonus. But even making people attack others still prevents turtling.

Last edited by lefton4ya; November 18th, 2016 at 11:06 AM. Reason: added Warzones of Valhalla
Old November 17th, 2016, 10:50 AM

cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla cmgames is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:

JIC, here is a link to a thread for three-player maps.

~Z

The influence of a frozen beef pie
My map thread
Old November 17th, 2016, 01:17 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

@misterdoctor - The Sunken Crypt is a really great one! It sounds like you might be able to build it, just subbing in something else for the Dungeon terrain. The scenario says it's for 3 players, but I'm pretty sure we played with 4 when I played it. We just added another adventurer player.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Rules & FAQ's