Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units
Official Units Discussion of official HeroScape units

Old March 21st, 2010, 08:21 PM

Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby!
Re: The Book of Zettian Guards

These guys see a fair amount of play in my gaming group, and could very well be our most used RotV unit besides the Izumi samurai, who are my favorite filler unit. (Yes, even more than Raelin. We tend to keep away from her and Q9 most of the time!)

I don't necessarily think it would be better to make them common, but I think it would be quite interesting. I've got 1 set of RotV units, the others' bases I used for customs, but I am thinking of ordering 3 sets of just RotV figures for pretty cheap. I can use the heroes' bases for more customs, and the squads I typically like to play special games every now and again where multiple sets of the Tarn, Zettians, and others are used for fun effect.

I even saw once on the Heroscape main site a scenario using 2x Tarn, and this is where I got the more relaxed view of Unique squads. If it's fun, why not try it? 4 sets of Zettians would be a true machine force the likes have never been seen, and I'm sure everyone has secretly wanted to play a big band of 4x Tarn and Valguard.
Old March 21st, 2010, 09:02 PM

TnT2 knows what's in an order marker TnT2 knows what's in an order marker TnT2 knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brewster View Post
I even saw once on the Heroscape main site a scenario using 2x Tarn, and this is where I got the more relaxed view of Unique squads. If it's fun, why not try it? 4 sets of Zettians would be a true machine force the likes have never been seen, and I'm sure everyone has secretly wanted to play a big band of 4x Tarn and Valguard.
Sure, you can do what you want for fun, but for me, I like the unique squads. There are lots of common squads. But only a few unique squads. I like that part of the game.

Yes, we modify them as well for friendly play, but we make other changes. For example

Debt of the Wergild Before you take a turn with Tarn Viking Warriors, you may first take a turn with one Viking Champion for each Tarn Viking Warrior that has been destroyed. You may not take more than one turn with the same Viking Champion in this way each turn.
Old March 21st, 2010, 09:45 PM

Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby! Brewster rolls all skulls baby!

That's an interesting (and nice death-themed) ability! I may have to try that sometime
Old March 21st, 2010, 11:07 PM
Runa's favorite Minion

rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness rednax wears ripped pants of awesomeness

Remember this is the thread for z
Zettians
not Tarns.
Old March 21st, 2010, 11:32 PM
Will Ultimately Face the Evil Black Dragon

Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth Taeblewalker is a man of the cloth

I fully support making them Common, at the same 70 points.

Old March 22nd, 2010, 12:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednax View Post
Remember this is the thread for z
Zettians
not Tarns.
Ahaha, well I brought up the discussion, so I'm sorry :P but would you rather have me clutter up all the books saying "I think this would be a wonderful common" instead of just putting in the Zettian book that I also think the other squads in RotV would make good commons.

And Tablewalker, that is interesting, I priced them common at 90.

It's a perfect fit

3x Zettian Guards - 270
Warden 816 - 360
Deathwalker 9000 - 500

That makes for a mean machine powerhouse!
Old July 28th, 2010, 07:14 PM

hero9510 is surprisingly tart

I gotta say I disagree with most of the people in this topic. In my scape nights the Zettians are drafted almost 50% of the time. Why? I'm glad you asked:
1) first and foremost, they are something to be taken seriously from height, especially from the castle. This is kinda obvious making the 2 to 3 dice bump to 3 to 4.
2) In a ranged army, bolstered by Taelord, I know, Taeload is expensive but he gets the job done by helping all friendly figures, you got 3 to 4, and then 4 to 5 dice if you can get height.
3) Glass jaw syndrome is always a worry, but 7 defense dice is out of this world for a squad defense, gives them long last-ability.
In wrap up, these guys are really versatile despite a move of 4. Especially when you hang on to them for clean up.

If power corrupts,
and absolute power corrupts absolutely,
and knowledge is power,
does absolute knowledge corrupt absolutely?
Old July 28th, 2010, 09:43 PM
That's right! He can be taught!

Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby! Elven Lord rolls all skulls baby!

Well unfortunately there is almost never a clean-up in our games. Usually were so evenly matched it's a fight to the teeth. No huge clash followed by victorious person cleaning up. It's fight every step of the way.

Feeling like an old lurker. 15 years, wow. That's half as long as I've lived. Love y'all like family.
Old August 31st, 2010, 04:50 PM

wolfeman1968 is surprisingly tart

I just had some fun with a Guard army (Warden, DG, GG, Chain Drow, and ZG) I sent the Z guards out with the Granites. They all got height and were hard to take down for his Samurais. I was able to clear things out with granites and then I could shoot far away with ZG they worked nice together. I am going to try 500 pt
Warden
DW9000
ZG
GGX2=500 pts
Old August 31st, 2010, 05:16 PM
Online HS Season 1 Champion & 'scape's foremost 'scapegoat

Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun Filthy the Clown is a penguin with a machine gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfeman1968 View Post
I just had some fun with a Guard army (Warden, DG, GG, Chain Drow, and ZG) I sent the Z guards out with the Granites. They all got height and were hard to take down for his Samurais. I was able to clear things out with granites and then I could shoot far away with ZG they worked nice together. I am going to try 500 pt
Warden
DW9000
ZG
GGX2=500 pts
Cool builds! I always get frustrated at the GG without Raelin backing them up (it usually involves whiffing on defense against an attack of one or two, which translates to 33.3 points flushed down the filthy pipes). As another option, you could try a Torin-Pod. Basically, take your posted army and sub the two squads of GG's for Torin and 8 rats or Raelin (rats would give you better control, but you might as well paint a bullseye on Torin, if you are going up against range). With 9-ranged Zettians (and DW9K's special), you are plinking away at your opponent whilst he attempts to navigate your rat screen. Pity the poor fool who wants to shoot at your Torin-backed guards with a normal attack. And, if you lose a Zettian, the Warden makes a great dance [of death] partner with Torin (seven range with an attack of 3/4).
Old March 4th, 2011, 12:13 PM

Jonny Jon is surprisingly tart

I'm thinking the best role for them is a ranged filler unit. If you have 75 points left and need range this is a good choice. I put them in the matchup calculator against 10th reg and they come out on top 65% of the time.

after reading this thread, a few nights ago I used them with deathwalker 9k and they did well.

The way to procure insults is to submit to them: a man meets with no more respect than he exacts. - William Hazlitt
Old January 22nd, 2014, 01:14 AM
Opps. He did it again.

Airborne Elite 5 is surprisingly tart
Lightbulb Re: The Book of Zettian Guards

I don't know if any one said this,but another good use for these two is to block up certain two way passages. with their 7d defense they could hold it for awhile.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Official Units