Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games
Other Board Games Board games that are not Heroscape.

Old September 3rd, 2010, 08:54 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
Games you want but know you will probably never play :-(

I was thinking about this today after watching a video review for the game Tammany Hall

The idea of the game I love, I just know that it is not something my wife would play with me and my oldest son..and its not something I would play with my younger son (10)...at least not for several more years.

So the question is...Do I get it and hang onto it till the "right time" comes? ...or... Do I just forget about it and move onto a more suitable game?

I know from talking to nyys that this sort of thing does enter many people's minds.

So what game(s) do you want that you know will probably almost never/never get played?
Old September 14th, 2010, 01:38 PM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker
Re: Games you want but know you will probably never play :-(

I'm very big into strategy games, especially the global domination type games such as Risk or Axis and Allies. While my girlfriend enjoys playing board games with me, she prefers the kind that aren't as in-depth into micro-managing armies and strategies. She'll play the occasional game of Risk or A&A, but she'd much rather play Heroscape, Battle Ball, LNOE, or Zombies!

I take that into consideration when I buy board games because I know its harder for me to get the chance to play it as often as I'd like. Most of my friends outside of the HS community don't like board games, so its not like I can pursue that alternative.

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)
Old September 14th, 2010, 01:42 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth

Got Bang! and shouldn't have, it's in that category. No great loss there @ $15 or whatever I paid. It needs a good sized group and we just don't have that except on very rare occasions.

No question Descent is in that category for me, though. Looks awesome but with the main gamers in the house being the 11-year-old KidScaper and myself, I don't see 4+ hour board game sessions in my future for quite some time.

I would *love* to keep it in my basement until The Day comes, which I think is the kind of thing you're asking about.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =
Old September 14th, 2010, 01:44 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

I started out buying those types of game and quickly realized I had nobody to play them with.

Current games that I would like but have to pass on:

Runewars
Galaxy Trucker
Horus Heresy
<insert many other epic type games>

-insert signature here-

Last edited by nyys; September 22nd, 2010 at 08:27 AM.
Old September 14th, 2010, 02:18 PM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post

Runewars
I too would love to own Rune Wars, but I don't ever see my self getting 3-5 people over to play. I just rely on Pilgrim to invite me over to get my fill, heh.

There are a lot of great epic grames out there, but its so hard to collect them all because it can stretch you thin in the wallet. Well, for me at least. I'd love to own Battlelore and all of its expansions, but I just don't have the money for it.

I'm still trying to complete my AT-43 collection, which is going at a snail's pace. Then I come to find out they added two new factions... That made me shed a tear, because now I'm really behind.

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)
Old September 14th, 2010, 02:21 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Originally Posted by B:T:L Matt View Post
I too would love to own Rune Wars, but I don't ever see my self getting 3-5 people over to play. I just rely on Pilgrim to invite me over to get my fill, heh.
Yeah, next game night I think that one needs to come back out. In a few years (not wishing them away) when my son and his friends are a little older and can handle something that epic (along with the attention span for it), is when I'll be able to starting picking up these great games, and just think what companies like FF will have cooked up by then.

-insert signature here-
Old September 14th, 2010, 03:37 PM
Bill Nigh the Psions Guy

Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Dredd Stev is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Pretty much any other mini's game is out for me... I've got collectors OCD to the max and just can't fall in love with a game and NOT buy all of it's components.

I'm currently still working on getting some of the expansions for "A touch of Evil" and "Last night on earth"... and they aren't really that bad.

I've long been admiring Battle lore from afar... but I just can't start down that dark and slippery slope. At least not while Scape is still pumping out top notch waves and MS's!

Another game that's been on my "Must have" for some time is Decent... about a year or so ago I went to my FLGS to pick up a new game and spent an hour in the boardgames section with Decent in one hand and Arkham Horror in the other. I eventually picked up Arkham (which is just a golden gem of a game by the way, I absolutely love it and its seven expansions) but I'm still left looking out the window on cold September evenings wondering what could have been...

Looking for quality maps for 3+ players? Think your latest map-masterpiece deserves a place of honor? Join in the discussion of The War-zones of Valhalla

It doesn't get any more classic than this: The C3V project
Old September 14th, 2010, 04:36 PM

Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby! Land-based AE rolls all skulls baby!

For me it's just about anything Fantasy Flight makes.

Want: Epic games with tons O plastic miniatures.

But don't have: 3-5 people to play with regularily or 3-5 people who are willing to play the same game for 3-5 hours. This explains much of the FFG lineup.

I did just buy Descent last week though and I've been playing it with the solo rules I created and I'm absolutely loving it.

2011 most played: 1. Heroscape/Monsterpocalypse/Quarriors. 4. Warhammer Invasion. 5. Last Night on Earth.
Old September 21st, 2010, 11:26 PM

Heroic Monkey is surprisingly tart

I used to really want Dune. It requires exactly 6 players and takes several hours, so there's just no way it would ever get played.

I would advise against buying games and hanging on "until the right time comes." I did that for several games a few years ago and they don't do anything but take up shelf space. There are plenty of good games out there, so I'd say stick with the ones you know will get played.
Old September 22nd, 2010, 10:16 PM

wdgrant knows what's in an order marker wdgrant knows what's in an order marker

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
I started out buying those types of game and quickly realized I had nobody to play them with.

Runewars
Galaxy Trucker
Horus Heresy
<insert many other epic type games>
Have you tried Galaxy Trucker, nyys? It may be much easier to get to the table than you think. It is really 60-90 minutes. I works best with 3 or 4 (or 3 to 5 with the expansion), but my wife and I have enjoyed a 2 player game in the past. It is a great game, and maybe not too epic for you to try.

As for me, I have an unopened War of the Ring on the shelf that my wife promised she would play when I got it on my birthday, but no luck yet. I agree that long games are tough to get to the table at home, but I'm lucky to have a group that gets together ever so often and can fit in a longer one or two.

I truly avoid CCG like a plague though. I just don't have the time to play, as much as I have enjoyed them in the past. Maybe when I retire.
Old September 23rd, 2010, 06:33 AM

Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker Chardris1287 knows what's in an order marker

for me, any new monopoly, life, or risk game. I'll buy a new one, play it once or twice, and then it sits in the closets collecting dust. I think to myself, why do I keep buying these?
Old September 23rd, 2010, 07:14 AM
Sleeps with Monkeys

Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness Hendal wears ripped pants of awesomeness

I hate to say it, but I may be a collector, I would just keep buying as many games as I could and not worry about them getting played - reading the rules and dreaming of playing is a game onto itself.

Any game over 3 hours would be pushing it for my group here. I have had power grid and Puerto Rico for years now and no sign of them ever hitting the table.

Dust looked very cool at GC< but It would never hit the table and I would start to paint them and never finish

Heroscape - The Game I Have Waited My Whole Life For!
GenCon - a must for any true Scaper!

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Other Board Games