Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General
General Random thoughts and ideas. "General" does not mean random drivel, nonsense or inane silliness.

Old October 21st, 2009, 06:37 PM
Monokidnatic

Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Jim is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Bad Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by J4Jandar View Post
Euridice is the one I like.
Euridice are rolling a lot of skulls...

Don't think of it as being outnumbered. Think of it as having a wide shot selection!
Scaper of the Week #17
How to get to Skyknight's house: Drive to the red light, then call him.
Old October 21st, 2009, 07:15 PM

habs1009 knows what's in an order marker habs1009 knows what's in an order marker

I like Ambrosia.

My map thread.
Spoiler Alert!
Old October 22nd, 2009, 03:39 PM
Needs Reassurance

braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby! braveheart101 rolls all skulls baby!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jschild View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by braveheart101 View Post
Wow, I just saw this thread. That. Sucks. Man, I am so sorry. I have a black lab that is almost 10 years old, that should have died by now, so he is probably not gonna live much longer. I have always loved collies because they are so friendly and lovable, and I can understand how it fells, seeing as my grandparents collie, bonnie bell, that really liked me died a while back.

God bless, Bravey

P.S. Wow, that puppy is adorable!
Ummm, labs typically live around 15 years so she should be good for a bit.
Yeah, I don't really know why the vet said that, but it had me depressed for awhile. Still, good to know he has more gas in his tank than the vet thinks.

Need miniatures painted?

People to trade with: sixthflagbearer

Callipygian girls make the world go 'round.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:10 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Yeah, most dogs typically live about 15 years, with some small fraction even approaching 20 years.

Of course, diet and exercise will greatly extend their life expectancy while breed (especially pure breeds) can shorten their life. I never get pure breeds simply for the far greater chance of health issues with them vs. mixed mutts. Mixed Labs being my favorite.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old October 22nd, 2009, 04:52 PM
pretty princess pony precious power!

J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

A bit off me thinks,

Smaller dogs live the longest (20+) while larger breeds have shorter life spans (10+). Labs typically live any where from 8 - 16 years of age.

I breed Yellow Labrador Retrievers

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Internet
How Long Do Labrador Retrievers Live?

The typical life span for Labrador Retrievers is 10-13 years.
Unfortunately, in many lines of Labrador Retrievers, life-threatening health problems are so common that it can be difficult to find an individual that you can count on remaining healthy for a normal lifetime. An unfortunate number of Labrador Retrievers live less than 10 years.

Is there anything that can be done to lengthen their lifespan?
Sometimes. The bad news is that many health problems are INHERITED, so if your Labrador Retriever inherits faulty genes from his parents, you may not be able to save him no matter how hard you try.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 05:11 PM
Dr Feelgood

jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla jschild is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Which is why you don't get pure breeds - I think it's insane that it's allowed to inbreed dogs again and again.

Get a mutt thats got alot of retriever in it and those problems disappear because most of those problems are recessive.

Now through May 28th, the Louisville region is in desperate need of platelets - call the Red Cross if you are interested in donating!
Old October 22nd, 2009, 05:52 PM

Takanuva has disabled reputation

This thread ruined my happy day. I am so sorry. I had a dog 3 years ago that was bitten by an animal with some thing that was like rabies, and he had to be put to sleep, so I know how it feel to lose something so close to you without any warning .
Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:19 PM
pretty princess pony precious power!

J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla J4Jandar is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Which is why you don't get pure breeds - I think it's insane that it's allowed to inbreed dogs again and again.

Get a mutt thats got alot of retriever in it and those problems disappear because most of those problems are recessive.
There's not a thing wrong with pure breeds if you know which lines your breeding pair has. My dogs were from opposite ends of the country gauranteeing their genetic diversity.
Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:32 PM
Dr Feelgood

Just because they were bought from other ends of the country does not "guarantee" their genetic divinity.

There is a simple reason they have health problems, why German Shepard's have bad knees, and why so many Dalmatians are deaf. There is no real genetic diversity because you are still dealing with a small initial pool of dogs. You have only one tree and with no new trees merging with it, it's still inbreeding. The only way to greatly reduce the incidence of genetic problems is to breed with other dogs that do not have the same genetic problems, thus greatly reducing the chance for those recessive traits to be passed on.

Ask ANY geneticist on the planet if inbreeding is good in the long term and the answer is no. Heck some dog breeds came from an initial stock of less than a dozen dogs..... Just think if it was people .... would you think that was ok?

EDIT: I'll try not to hijack the thread any more, sorry.

Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:36 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
. Heck some dog breeds came from an initial stock of less than a dozen dogs..... Just think if it was people .... would you think that was ok?

Um........

Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:53 PM
Dr Feelgood

Yes, if you believe the Adam and Eve story...

But then again, Cain ran off with all those other people that conveniently crop up at the end of the story - so thankfully he doesn't have to bone mom to continue the species.

Old October 22nd, 2009, 06:55 PM
has been BANNED

Onacara is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa

Quote:
Yes, if you believe the Adam and Eve story...

But then again, Cain ran off with all those other people that conveniently crop up at the end of the story - so thankfully he doesn't have to bone mom to continue the species.
Awesome language for a family friendly site.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > General