Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old August 26th, 2009, 12:01 PM
quoting myself - insanity beckons

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth
Re: Lamaclown's Customs- New: Mirror Mage Acolyte 8/26

Very cool ability. 120 doesn't seem too bad IMO. Like you said, the low defense will get them chopped up pretty quickly, but I think the key here is the range of 3 of the Mirror Special Attack.

Were it a range of 7, then yes too powerful, in that case it would be very easy to keep Q9 protected with a bunch of these gals 'projecting' his Special Attack through them.

But the range of 3 keeps them close, and will probably only keep the Q-man out of a range of a ranged attack for one OM.

Another figure to consider is Zelrig and his Majestic Fires Special Attack. In the right situation Mirroring him could be devastating.

I like this a lot though, a fresh idea.

--

One more thought, though this would certainly over power the unit, is that I think it would be cool if the Mirror Ability worked across multiple Mirror Acolytes. Meaning, if you took 3 Mirror Acolytes in your army, the first one would need to be withhin 3 spaces to Mirror another's Special Attack. But if there were another Mirror Acolyte within 3 spaces of the 1st Mirror Acolyte, then the Mirror ability could project to the 2nd one (or to the 3rd if that one was within 3 spaces of the 2nd Mirror Acolyte, and so on).

Hope that made sense, but even if it did, that would be quite the powerful combo.

-insert signature here-

Last edited by nyys; August 26th, 2009 at 12:08 PM.
Old August 26th, 2009, 01:06 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Great job, lamaclown. As always, your customs are awesome, thats why I came to you with the idea.
Very cool seeing my idea "in the flesh".

I'd venture to say that she is a bit overcosted. 3 def. is not all that hard to get past, and at 1 life she no real survivability. Her Special attack can be powerful, but thats based off of what else you or you oponent has in their army. Her second special is based off the fact that she is a common hero, but at the higher points, I couldn't see more than 2 in an army. I could see her at 50 points. Then again, customs aren't my strong suit, again why I deferred to you.

I like what you did limiting her special to within 3 spaces. My way was waayy to powerful.

Good job either way, and thanks for taking my idea and running with it.

73 tournaments. 175 - 145 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.
Old August 26th, 2009, 01:24 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Nice teamwork Lamaclown and clancampbell.

This is a tricky fig to assess, so I'm going to have to mull it over for a while before contributing anything significant, but my two immediate thoughts are:
  • 120 points for one Life with only three Defense? Ouch!
  • Why does this elf follow Aquilla instead of Ullar?
I'll try to come back with something more constructive later, after i've had more time to think about it.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old August 26th, 2009, 02:24 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by clancampbell View Post
Great job, lamaclown. As always, your customs are awesome, thats why I came to you with the idea. Very cool seeing my idea "in the flesh".

Thanks for the encouragement and the vote of confidence!

Quote:
I'd venture to say that she is a bit overcosted. 3 def. is not all that hard to get past, and at 1 life she no real survivability. Her Special attack can be powerful, but thats based off of what else you or you oponent has in their army. Her second special is based off the fact that she is a common hero, but at the higher points, I couldn't see more than 2 in an army. I could see her at 50 points.
With what Killometer said as well, I need to seriously consider her value. You, nyys, and Killometer all make valid points for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Killometer View Post
Nice teamwork Lamaclown and clancampbell.
Thanks!
Quote:
120 points for one Life with only three Defense? Ouch!
Yeah, that is the tough part. Low defense and Life but killer ability.
I have three opinions on it so far from 'scapers I greatly respect so I will go to the middle ground. How does dropping her to 95 sound? Considerably lower than she is now but still in a higher range for drafting multiples.
Quote:
Why does this elf follow Aquilla instead of Ullar?
Well, actually, the only reason I made her an elf is because of the sculpt. I really didn't even think about the whole Elf/Ullar thing. Thanks for pointing that out.
I may change her to human. I have other elf figs that I modded to get rid of their pointy ears so I can do the same with her.

Thanks for the input everyone.
Old August 26th, 2009, 02:24 PM

nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth nyys is a man of the cloth

Just dawned on me that being an Elf, the Mage can be brought back to life by Acolarh. Just something else to consider.

-insert signature here-
Old August 26th, 2009, 02:27 PM

Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death! Lamaclown is hot lava death!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nyys View Post
Just dawned on me that being an Elf, the Mage can be brought back to live by Acolarh. Just something else to consider.
Never played with him (I am a post-TRU 'scaper ) so I didn't realize that. Thank you!

I foresee a future of tweaking ahead of me.
Old August 26th, 2009, 02:40 PM
Wrecker of Wednesdays

clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla clancampbell is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lamaclown View Post
Quote:
Just dawned on me that being an Elf, the Mage can be brought back to live by Acolarh. Just something else to consider.
Never played with him (I am a post-TRU 'scaper ) so I didn't realize that. Thank you!

Yeah, draft 3 or 4 of her and Acolarh. Just leave one behind with Acolarh and when one dies triger her ability to kill the one near Acolarh, and hope to make the save. Nasty combo. Yeah, better make her human, or something like fey, basically elf but with out the name 'elf' to triger Acolarh.

73 tournaments. 175 - 145 - 1 overall record. 6 tournament wins.
Old August 26th, 2009, 03:09 PM

I went ahead and made her Human and dropped her to 95 points.
Any other tweaking needed?

Any thoughts about Philoctetes while we're at it?
Old August 26th, 2009, 03:29 PM
Is a Tingly Soldier of Valhalla

Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death! Killometer is hot lava death!

Quote:
Any thoughts about Philoctetes while we're at it?
I love the Trojan Horse ability! Philo plus a few squads of Legos would be great fun.

Once he drops off the Horse he can leave the Opponent's Start Zone, right?

As you said, I think that for 120 points you might want to drop the Horse's Life or Defense to 3. 5/5 would probably be appropriate if you raised his price to 160.

132-98-0 (4/13/09-4/15/24)
38-17-0 (10/17/09-3/9/24)
Old August 26th, 2009, 03:43 PM

Thanks for the input!

I love the Legos, and, yes, they did great and were fun to play with Philoctetes in playtesting.

Yes, once Philoctetes drops off the horse he is free to move wherever.

I'll consider your input confirmation as far as the horse's stats go. Thanks again.
Old August 26th, 2009, 08:46 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

Yeah, draft 3 or 4 of her and Acolarh. Just leave one behind with Acolarh and when one dies triger her ability to kill the one near Acolarh, and hope to make the save. Nasty combo. Yeah, better make her human, or something like fey, basically elf but with out the name 'elf' to triger Acolarh.
Nice! I think that is actually pretty cool (though probably too powerful), and would definitely make one think bout taking Acolarh in their army (right now he's not so great).

-insert signature here-
Old August 27th, 2009, 08:30 AM

Re: Lamaclown's Customs- Updated: Philoctetes 8/26

OK, I playtested the Mirror Mage Acolyte last night and here are my initial findings (she still needs more testing)...

I played 3 games with her. For this first run of playtesting the opposing army was the same for all 3 games just to try to even out the roll-of-the-dice factor.

Army 1
Mirror Mage Acolyte (MM Aco) x3 285
Zelrig 470
Raelin 550

Army 2
Tor-kul-na 220
Nagrubs x3 310
Stingers x4 550

Game 1
It was a slaughter. The game lasted only 5 rounds. At the end TKN had only 1 wound and there were still unactivated squads of stingers and nagrubs. Since Zelrig's special attack affects all adjacent figs I swarmed him and the MM Aco with the Marro so they couldn't attack without affecting their own figs.

Game 2
This game went much differently. I kept Zelrig in the background and sent out 2 MM Aco's. At the end of round 1 a full squad of nagrubs were dead, 2 stingers were history, and TKN had 1 wound. No blood drawn against Army 1.
Round 2 ended with a full squad of stingers being destroyed and another nagrub. By the end of round 3, though, TKN finally joined the fight and all 3 MM Aco's were toast. The battle lasted 3 more rouds with eventual defeat of Zelrig. The strategy of keeping Zelrig in the background proved much more effective.

Game 3
I swapped out Zelrig and replaced him with Q9 for this game. The game ended with a full health Q9, 1 MM Aco, and a Raelin with 3 wounds. However, wiffs on Trample Stomp and Stinger Drain were numerous this game. I eventually quit trying Stinger Drain becuase it was costing me units. Of course when Trample Stomp and Stinger Drain fail, you also lose that turn so the MM Aco got several free passes. Not to mention that on height, with Raelin, the MM Aco's were tossing up to 6 defense dice! So basically, they were Q9 minus only 1 defense die.

It was like having a 7 Life Q9! It was great. But was it unbalancingly great?

I think in larger armies in which you could use a melee screen to offer more protection to the MM Aco's, they would be well worth their points, maybe even more than their points. In the size of armies I played, I think 95 is pretty close; maybe give or take 5 points.

Like I said, however, I only played them against 1 army. We'll have to see how they do against other army types.

Any thoughts?

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards