Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old August 13th, 2012, 12:03 PM
was heroscaper2010. Now Beep, Beep, I'm a Sheep

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!
Heroscape/Risk???

What if you could use Heroscape to resolve your Risk battles? Now you can! After lots of thinking and laying out the rules and mixing between Risk and Heroscape, I've finally came up with a way to resolve your Risk battles with Heroscape:

Now, what are the three key points of Risk? Reinforcements, Attacks, and Fortification. I've left the Reinforcements and Fortifications the same. The only thing I've tweaked is the 'Attacking' part. Now, instead of saying, "Egypt is attacking Southern Europe," and rolling numbered dice to determine the victor of the battle, you'll be saying "Egypt is attacking Southern Europe," and resolving it with a actual Heroscape battle. But how:

First, you'll need to setup your map. It is recommended to use this as the base:

PICTURE NOT AVAILABLE

Before each battle you will add terrain to the Large Hex. You'll end up with kinda like this:

PICTURE NOT AVAILABLE

After the battle remove the tiles from the Large Hex and await the next attack to make a new map. How many units do you get for each Unit of Risk? Here, is a reference chart:

1 unit = 50pts
2 units = 100pts
3 units = 150pts
Etc.

The attacking player is Player 1 during the battle and will place his army in the Red SZ. The defending player is Player 2 during the battle and will place his army in the Blue SZ. Say Player 1 has 12 units on Ontario and Player 2 has 8 units on Alberta, Player 1 will pick a 400pt army and Player 2 will pick a 300pt army. Once you have picked you have your map and armies ready you will resolve your battle. Once your battle is over, you will decide how many of those units survived. To do this, divide your point total by the number of units you had before the battle: Player 1 had 400pts over 12 units. 400/12 = 34 points for each unit. Then you will need to find out your points remaining after the battle (use the Partial Scoring System: If 2/3 stinger are destroyed, you would have 20pts remaining). Say that Player 1 had 80 points remaining, he would divide 80 by 34 and get 2.something (round up) and would get 3. That's how many of the 12 units he would have remaining, he would have to leave 1 behind so 2 would move over.

Then you would repeat this process if you make another attack, or go into the Fortification process of the actual game of Risk. If that player took a territory, draw a card as normal.

I think that's it. I believe this would take a long time to actually finish, but it would be fun to do. If you find any flaws or think I missed something please feel free to say so. Any comments/suggestions/constructive criticism is appreciated.

Credits:
Spoiler Alert!

Last edited by Sheep; August 13th, 2012 at 03:07 PM.
Old August 13th, 2012, 12:39 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth
Re: Heroscape/Risk???

I have a regular Risk group and we have discussed this idea a few times. The only reason we have not gone forward with it is due to the time issues. Stopping the risk game for each roll of the dice to play a 25-40 minute Heroscape game means we would never be able to finish a game in one sitting. Since noe of us have the space to leave a board set up for months at a time it is just not practical for our group. If you have the gaemrs living close by with a week to dedicate to this, it would be a ton of fun though I am sure. We just had a few diferent ideas then you did.

1. To represent the advantages of being the defender whoever is on defense would get more control over how the board would be set up. Never worked out all the details but the general idea is that both sides get a bin of terrain objects with the defender having more options with better stuff in his bin (more walls, trees, hexes, etc.). Then the two take 4 turns each adding X (roll a D6 each time?) items to the board with the attacker going first. You end up with a new and interesting board each time where the defender has a slight terrain advantage to start (ie. higher ground or more LOS blockers).

2. To calculate the points each side has, we were going to use a direct conversion number. Say 50 points of Heroscape units for every 1 Risk army involved in the fight. So 10 Risk units invade a territory defended by 7 Risk units, the battle would be 500 points vs. 350 points. Then after the battle was over, the victor divides his armies remaining points (use fractional points for partial squads) total by 50 to determine how many Risk armies remain.

3. Also we would have had each player choose one HS general at the start of the Risk game, with each general only being chosen once. Die roll to determine order. The undrafted generals' troops would become mercenaries. Each player would have to make their HS army up using just the generals' troops they drafted and no more that 2 merc units (limited to 1 squad & 1 hero). Defender would get first pick on the merc units.
Old August 13th, 2012, 01:26 PM

Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death! Sheep is hot lava death!

Very cool. Thanks, YK. That was my only issue, the time. The reason I went with a set number of units is so that if one player has 25 units vs. another player who has 3 units, it's not 1250pts vs. 150pts and almost dumb to even set up the game.
Old August 13th, 2012, 01:50 PM

Ace_of_Spades knows what's in an order marker Ace_of_Spades knows what's in an order marker

I have thought about this blending of the two games, but the extensive amount of time needed was the problem for me as well. I disagree with you, H2010 about the point conversion. A battle of 25 units vs 3 should be a clear winner. The 3 units could just try to take out a couple units worth, or surrender to save time. If played by your risk-to-scape point system, it would be most efficient to leave 1 unit everywhere; it's just as strong as 9. And there would be no purpose to put more than 20 units on one territory. Besides that, it looks like a solid format, even if it does take weeks to play.

Never draw fire; it irritates everyone around you.
~Murphy's Laws of Combat
Old August 13th, 2012, 01:59 PM
C3G Landlord

Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth Yodaking is a man of the cloth

No doubt, when you get into those steam rolling situations where you are just mopping up a bunch of 1's the HS side of the game would be a bit tedious. From the defenders point of view though I think I would have fun trying to kill as many units as I could with just 50 points. Especially if Utgar is your general. Take the marro clones and be sure to add some water to your side of the board behind a wall.
Old August 13th, 2012, 02:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yodaking View Post
No doubt, when you get into those steam rolling situations where you are just mopping up a bunch of 1's the HS side of the game would be a bit tedious. From the defenders point of view though I think I would have fun trying to kill as many units as I could with just 50 points. Especially if Utgar is your general. Take the marro clones and be sure to add some water to your side of the board behind a wall.
Old August 13th, 2012, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace_of_Spades View Post
I have thought about this blending of the two games, but the extensive amount of time needed was the problem for me as well. I disagree with you, H2010 about the point conversion. A battle of 25 units vs 3 should be a clear winner. The 3 units could just try to take out a couple units worth, or surrender to save time. If played by your risk-to-scape point system, it would be most efficient to leave 1 unit everywhere; it's just as strong as 9. And there would be no purpose to put more than 20 units on one territory. Besides that, it looks like a solid format, even if it does take weeks to play.
I didn't even think of this, thanks!

I'll update this and give credits to the poster/post. Done

Last edited by Sheep; August 13th, 2012 at 02:41 PM.
Old August 13th, 2012, 02:51 PM

Pictures are going to go down for awhile as I update to the previous few posts.
Old August 13th, 2012, 03:26 PM

NVM.

Quote:
I was originally thinking that the sets would be split up so both sides had a few jungle trees/bushes to set up if you were defending Brazil. Or both sides would get a few glaciers and snow & ice tiles if say you were invading Finland and so on. The defender would just get the majority of the cool pieces and larger hex tiles to build the board up with. This part would vary depending on what sets you own.

I think you would need to test the set up process a few times with a friend to see what works best. Hard to theory scape that part having never done it before. I really like the base board you had.

Last edited by Sheep; August 13th, 2012 at 09:56 PM.
Old August 13th, 2012, 03:59 PM
C3G Landlord

I was originally thinking that the sets would be split up so both sides had a few jungle trees/bushes to set up if you were defending Brazil. Or both sides would get a few glaciers and snow & ice tiles if say you were invading Finland and so on. The defender would just get the majority of the cool pieces and larger hex tiles to build the board up with. This part would vary depending on what sets you own.

I think you would need to test the set up process a few times with a friend to see what works best. Hard to theory scape that part having never done it before. I really like the base board you had.
Old August 13th, 2012, 07:11 PM
Last :-(

Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness Smithy Winfred wears ripped pants of awesomeness

The pics aren't working, idk if it's just my computer or not.

I love the basic Idea though, Risk is a really long game anyway so tacking on HS games won't really make a difference. I would almost allow you to have a campaign mode HS which is just super cool
Old August 13th, 2012, 09:55 PM

Quote:

Oh, ok. Edited the post.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smithy Winfred View Post
The pics aren't working, idk if it's just my computer or not.

I love the basic Idea though, Risk is a really long game anyway so tacking on HS games won't really make a difference. I would almost allow you to have a campaign mode HS which is just super cool
I took out the pictures so I could redo them.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios