Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion
Competitive Armies Discussion Discuss, critique, and build ideas for tournament-caliber armies.

Old December 6th, 2006, 06:24 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
500 Point Tourney Army Evaluation

Please evaluate this army for me....

Krav Maga - 100
Ninjas - 110
Tagawa - 120
Warriors of Ashra - 50
Krug - 120
----------------------------
Total - 500 points

The thinking here is that you've got decent defense with every unit except Krug (and who wants him to block everything anyway) and most have special defensive powers additionally. This army would require you to make a full frontal assault early though due to a lack of range.

What are your thoughts and suggestions? If you were to bring in another ranged unit what would it be and what would you drop to do it?

Thanks for your considerations.

Cheers,
markwars

Old December 6th, 2006, 06:42 PM
2-time GenCon Mindshackle and Main Event Champion

spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Well, it's not too much of a suggestion, but you could drop the Ashra Warriors for Marro Warriors. They're a pretty solid ranged squad for a cheap price. If you plan on using the Krav first, the Marro would be excellent. Then it'd be an all unique army, and that'd be kind of cool.
Old December 6th, 2006, 06:46 PM

B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker B:T:L Matt knows what's in an order marker
I would keep the warriors of ashra... I've lost count of how many times they could not be put down due to their ability...

It takes a revolution to begin evolution...
www.myspace.com/theautimis - Check out the Heroscape inspired song, "Valhalla's On Fire" at this link!!! (lyrics included)
Old December 6th, 2006, 06:49 PM
2-time GenCon Mindshackle and Main Event Champion

spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness spider_poison wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by B:T:L Matt
I would keep the warriors of ashra... I've lost count of how many times they could not be put down due to their ability...
Well, yeah, but with only one squad of them, and considering that he already dominates melee with ninjas, samurai, and Krug, I don't think he needs them.
Old December 6th, 2006, 06:51 PM

Sev_ has disabled reputation
Great mobility. Strong defense. Strong tank. Weak range. Keep your KMA on hills for height advantage.
Use your WoA to tie up melee units. Use your ninjas to glide in and out of opponents to get to the ranged units. Krug will be your heavy cavalry in case any strong Heroes come in.

I feel this is pretty well-balanced, and if played properly, can and will decimate most armies.

Hope this helps.
Old December 6th, 2006, 07:09 PM
Our Invaluable & Highly Esteemed Resident Chaplain

Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth Revdyer is a man of the cloth
I think you'd probably get more responses in the Competitive Army section.
Old December 6th, 2006, 08:23 PM
Master Custom Creator

Euryon is surprisingly tart
Personally, id swap Tagawa for Kozuke and the WoA for a squad of AG's and Guilty. More ranged options, gives Krug that tiny bit more punch. I much prefer the Kozuke over the Tagawa - but thats me.

Anyway - I agree with what people above have said. Problem with that army is you have to be offensive. 9 times out of 10 thats the best plan of action anyway, but every now and again, the map, opponents army and dice-luck make you want to sit and let the opponent come to you.

With that army you really have to eliminate your enemies range early on, else a couple of lucky shots in round 2 or 3 is going to reduce your tagawas or ninja to 1 or 2 man unique squads - and therefore lacking the punch that makes them worth their points. Considering half of all the competitive armies out there will also field at least the krav maga, you can probably expect an even opening skirmish at best; and at worst, to be reduced to melee figures against an opponent with some formiddable reserves, able to choose the ground upon which you must fight.

Which is why if you stick in the AG's you have something to pepper him with and draw some fire whilst Krug storms across and hopefully engages whilst the samurai (and kozuke excel at this) sprint into action.

Overall, I definately recommend getting some more range in there.... Any one of those melee squads could be sacrificed and STILL leave you with kickass brainbusting abilities...

Options as I see 'em:

Remove TAGAWA for NAKITA
Remove NINJA for AE (risky one, but can be game changing; there again this army doesnt want too many rounds of play... so this might not be a great idea)
Remove WOA for ARROW GRUTS

On my command, fix bayonets.
Old December 6th, 2006, 08:52 PM
has been BANNED

Stealth Dodge is a puppet of Ne-Gok-Sa
It's good although units with special attacks would give you fits
Old December 6th, 2006, 08:58 PM
Site Admin

netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer netherspirit is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Moved.

I would go with Spider_Poison's advice. Swap out the Elves for the Marro Warriors.
Old December 6th, 2006, 09:04 PM

monkeyfish has disabled reputation
Here's one I think might work
Raelin
Kozuke
Nakita
Krav
WoA x2

Captain Qwark for President 08'
Old December 6th, 2006, 10:44 PM

Chimpy knows what's in an order marker Chimpy knows what's in an order marker
I will second what Euryon said. Seeing as you have to take out the enemy fast, I would switch to the faster samurai. Switching out the WoA is also something I would consider. Maybe a pair of Roborats to hold down the enemy ranged units would do better.

"Clay lies still, but blood's a rover; / Breath's a ware that will not keep.
Up, lad: when the journey's over / There'll be time enough to sleep!"
~"Reveille", A.E. Housman
Old December 7th, 2006, 12:54 PM
Mintiest of the Minty

markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness markwars wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Thanks for all of the helpful suggestions folks. And sorry for posting in the wrong forum - I'm such a newb.

What do you folks think about this tweaked version...

Krug - 120
KMA - 100
Nakita - 120
Ninjas - 110
WoA - 50

Total - 500

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > Competitive Armies Discussion