Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games
Video Games Computer and console games.

Old May 20th, 2016, 09:22 AM
Can not ignore himself because of typo - Online HS Season 2 Champion

awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun awesomeunleashed is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Dwindle, i.e. what I've been so busy working on

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandonwiker View Post
Nice, I played with Unity and used C# for a month. Too much for a single person to soak in, plus I am unfamiliar with C# syntax. I just read that Unity accepts Boo language, which is apparently similar to Python, my personal fav so far.

I'm going to meet a bud that's into programming pretty soon, he is a step ahead of me, maybe I'll learn some things. And I'm going to introduce him to heroscape
Unity's phased out Boo in favor of C# and JavaScript, I assume because those languages have so much available functionality that keeping a third language nobody's heard of was kinda pointless. I've seen plenty of people on the internet using JS with it, although unless you had a lot of experience in that and none in C#, I'm not sure why you would, as C# is (IMO) a much better language for game development.
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
That's cool, man. Games are why I got into programming, although it's not what I do now (and I like board games more than video games at this point anyway). I've never written any C# though--I'm mainly a C++ guy.
Yeah, I'm not surprised. I prefer C# because of automatic garbage collection and the far more useful available libraries for Windows stuff in particular, but C++ would be my choice for anything I needed more efficiency and lower-level access for sure.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zettian Juggernaut View Post
And I'm the whimp that uses Stencyl... though I could probably write in Haxe and JavaScript isn't that different from Haxe.
Haven't heard of either of those, heh. Unity does accept JS though. Really, though, once you've got a good handle on how programming languages work, all you have to do to use a new one is be good at looking stuff up. Believe me, I've basically had to teach myself four languages at once on the job before...

Old May 20th, 2016, 12:04 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: Dwindle, i.e. what I've been so busy working on

Quote:
Originally Posted by awesomeunleashed View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by capsocrates View Post
That's cool, man. Games are why I got into programming, although it's not what I do now (and I like board games more than video games at this point anyway). I've never written any C# though--I'm mainly a C++ guy.
Yeah, I'm not surprised. I prefer C# because of automatic garbage collection and the far more useful available libraries for Windows stuff in particular, but C++ would be my choice for anything I needed more efficiency and lower-level access for sure.
Automatic garbage collection is nice for memory, but doesn't really help with other resources, like mutex locks, database handles, etc. C++'s RAII principle is really nice for those kinds of resources and also works for memory, but it doesn't have the same kinds of costs associated with running a garbage collector in the background.

C# definitely seems like the obvious choice for your average Windows dev purposes though. I know C# has a few options for working other platforms as well. One of the things I like about C++ is that, given the right 3rd-party library (and there are quite a few decent open source ones) you can write the same code once for every platform. You would still need to write your own code for any lower-level platform-specific functionality not provided by the library you're using, but if the library provides everything you need it's pretty simple. I wrote a Dominion deck shuffler with JUCE that I can run on my Windows 10 PC or my Android phone (I could probably run it on OS X, iOS, Linux, and Windows phones as well without any changes, but I don't have any of those platforms available to compile right now).

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV

Go Back   Heroscapers > Off-Topic > Other Games > Video Games