Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion
HeroScape General Discussion General discussions of packaging, terrain, components, etc. If it doesn't fit in any other official category, put it here.

Closed Thread

Old January 7th, 2010, 12:02 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Re: Ask the Design Team thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by winonavampire View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
Has there been any playesting of scenarios in which there are more than one player teamed up against the Bad Guy player?

Does it work well to have 2 400 point allied armies against 1 800 point army? Or should it be 4 400 point armies with one player controlling 2 of them (with two sets of OM's, etc) in order to keep the balance?
I can tell you from personal experience (not with MS3 scenarios, but in general) The the third player needs to have 2 sets of OM. 2x 400 armies are far greater then 1x 800 point army.

Imagine your opponent get twice as many moves, attacks etc.
I have a cooperative plan in the works.

“Heroscapers is too old for that crap.”
~IamBatman

"Hahahah! You losers! I told you so!!"
~Clancampbell
Old January 7th, 2010, 11:48 PM

SgtHulka has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreyOwl View Post
A question for the designers: Do you have a standard way of converting a card to the "basic game" version? How much effort goes into the basic game version of the cards as far as making them balanced?
I'm extremely curious about the answer to this question.
Old January 8th, 2010, 08:50 AM

bobspoons Woo who?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grungebob View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobspoons View Post
I know that certain aspects are down to WOTC and not yourselves, but within your capacity to say and things youve been told, do you know if all the upcoming product will be based on fleshing out the D&D line with little or none to classic space?

I think the D&D stuff looks fantastic and well done. I just worry a little that the sci-fi and historical figures may dissapear in the D&D run.

Does anyone know if a successful MS3 sales-run may lead to new sculpts for D&D minis (obviously cash investment from WOTC needed) or keep with existing D&D sculpts for cash reasons.

Thanks for all the great work so far and thanks for all the info youve put forth in this thread.

BobSpoons
I can't answer any of these specifics. Remember that WOTC is in control of many many aspects of Heroscape production. We as designers are in charge of bringing their product choices to life in the Heroscape world to the best of our ability. If they choose to do all D&D, or throw some Classic in, or do all Classic... These are decisions they make without our input. We are focused on design, the rest is up to them pass or fail.
Thanks for the response. I do know that WOTC as you say are in control and wasnt implying that you were part of the decsision process, I had thought I had covered that in my first line though I may not have been clear and so sorry for that.
I also wasnt implying you have any part in the decision making process.

I just thought that as their designers, if WOTC had decided to make some more classic scape, and thus presented yourselves with classic-scape to put stats to and playtest, then you would therfore have an idea that they are still looking at classic scape.
Essentially, I was wondering what conclusions could be inferred from what future product WOTC had so-far passed through to yourselves.
Sorry if I wasnt clear on that and thanks very much for all your time and input so far.
As implied in my original post, I do also appreciate that any info you may have may not actually be releasable by you anyway and that is understood and remain grateful for the info you have already put forth.

Thanks
BobSpoons
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:06 AM
Mighty Mouse!

Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Grungebob is a wielder of the Ban Hammer

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I know that certain aspects are down to WOTC and not yourselves, but within your capacity to say and things youve been told, do you know if all the upcoming product will be based on fleshing out the D&D line with little or none to classic space?

I think the D&D stuff looks fantastic and well done. I just worry a little that the sci-fi and historical figures may dissapear in the D&D run.

Does anyone know if a successful MS3 sales-run may lead to new sculpts for D&D minis (obviously cash investment from WOTC needed) or keep with existing D&D sculpts for cash reasons.

Thanks for all the great work so far and thanks for all the info youve put forth in this thread.

BobSpoons
I can't answer any of these specifics. Remember that WOTC is in control of many many aspects of Heroscape production. We as designers are in charge of bringing their product choices to life in the Heroscape world to the best of our ability. If they choose to do all D&D, or throw some Classic in, or do all Classic... These are decisions they make without our input. We are focused on design, the rest is up to them pass or fail.
Thanks for the response. I do know that WOTC as you say are in control and wasnt implying that you were part of the decsision process, I had thought I had covered that in my first line though I may not have been clear and so sorry for that.

I just thought that as their designers, if WOTC had decided to make some more classic scape, and thus presented yourselves with classic-scape to put stats to and playtest, then you would therfore have an idea that they are still looking at classic scape.
Essentially, I was wondering what conclusions could be inferred from what future product WOTC had so-far passed through to yourselves.
Sorry if I wasnt clear on that and thanks very much for all your time and input so far.
As implied in my original post, I do also appreciate that any info you may have may not actually be releasable by you anyway and that is understood and remain grateful for the info you have already put forth.

Thanks
BobSpoons
No I understood you, but I just wanted to make sure you know where we stand. We are not hoarding information. We tell you guys everything we are allowed to. We don't hold anything back unless we know we would violate NDA by telling you all. So many folks are asking us about Classic Heroscape. We know it is a major concern of yours. We are Classic scape fans ourselves first and foremost. If we knew the answer and were allowed to tell, then you all would also know.

~IamBatman

~Clancampbell
Old January 8th, 2010, 11:10 AM

teasedbyeldgrim is surprisingly tart

Who names the figures? I had been hoping the fighter in MS3 would be named Sir Dauch.
Old January 8th, 2010, 11:55 AM

bobspoons Woo who?

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:

BobSpoons

Thanks
BobSpoons
No I understood you, but I just wanted to make sure you know where we stand. We are not hoarding information. We tell you guys everything we are allowed to. We don't hold anything back unless we know we would violate NDA by telling you all. So many folks are asking us about Classic Heroscape. We know it is a major concern of yours. We are Classic scape fans ourselves first and foremost. If we knew the answer and were allowed to tell, then you all would also know.
Thanks Grungebob I completely understand your position and your care for the product.
I look forward to a point when you are in a position to know/tell more.

Thanks again for your responses and hard work on the product.
Im eagerly awaiting my D&D set through the post right now.

All the best

BobSpoons
Old January 8th, 2010, 02:39 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins View Post
I don't know if you're allowed to answer this or not, but here goes:

Q. Can I wait and get Feral Trolls and Deepwyrm Drow in an upcoming expansion wave, or will I be buying multiple MS3's?
I'm not concerned with how many MS3's you plan to buy, but I will say that this year, the only release that has Feral Troll and Deepwyrm Drow, is that Master Set 3. I personally doubt that they will be released any other way.
OK, so I have two follow up questions:

In playtesting, did you find that it was desirable to have multiple Trolls and multiple squads of Drow?

And if so, why?

I'm assuming the answer to the first question is yes since the Drow are Common and the "Uncommon" designation was created for the Troll, but would like to hear what you have to impart on the subject based on your playtesting experience.
Old January 8th, 2010, 05:07 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
I don't know if you're allowed to answer this or not, but here goes:

Q. Can I wait and get Feral Trolls and Deepwyrm Drow in an upcoming expansion wave, or will I be buying multiple MS3's?
I'm not concerned with how many MS3's you plan to buy, but I will say that this year, the only release that has Feral Troll and Deepwyrm Drow, is that Master Set 3. I personally doubt that they will be released any other way.

In playtesting, did you find that it was desirable to have multiple Trolls and multiple squads of Drow?

And if so, why?

I'm assuming the answer to the first question is yes since the Drow are Common and the "Uncommon" designation was created for the Troll, but would like to hear what you have to impart on the subject based on your playtesting experience.
Desirable? Please expand on this. What do you mean when you say desirable? I find that all figures are desirable. I collect figures.

Trolls and Drow are common because in the D&D world, these creatures are encountered in large numbers.

If there is something else your trying to get at please just ask plainly.

~IamBatman

~Clancampbell
Old January 8th, 2010, 05:30 PM

someguy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by winonavampire View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by CheddarLimbo View Post
Has there been any playesting of scenarios in which there are more than one player teamed up against the Bad Guy player?

Does it work well to have 2 400 point allied armies against 1 800 point army? Or should it be 4 400 point armies with one player controlling 2 of them (with two sets of OM's, etc) in order to keep the balance?
I can tell you from personal experience (not with MS3 scenarios, but in general) The the third player needs to have 2 sets of OM. 2x 400 armies are far greater then 1x 800 point army.

Imagine your opponent get twice as many moves, attacks etc.
I have a cooperative plan in the works.
I am eager to see this.
Old January 8th, 2010, 06:08 PM

loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby! loborocket rolls all skulls baby!

Q1: Does the design team use any kind of "test plan" when playtesting? i.e. Play a match against a 4th Mass Army, play amatch against a Vydar range army, play a match against kinghts army, etc... Or do you just play what you feel like playing and try to mix in a variety?

Q2: How many games are typically played with new figures in order to work out "statistical anomoloy" and luck factor in order to decide a figures final cost?

Jeff H - Manchester NH

No plan survives contact with the enemy. - Field Marshal Helmuth von Moltke

Good traders: M.K. Sentinal, C.L., and CheddarLimbo
Old January 8th, 2010, 09:14 PM
guy who got blown up over Yavin, The

Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth Porkins is a man of the cloth

Quote:
Quote:

And if so, why?

Desirable? Please expand on this. What do you mean when you say desirable? I find that all figures are desirable. I collect figures.

Trolls and Drow are common because in the D&D world, these creatures are encountered in large numbers.

Sorry, what I meant was, I wondered if you found yourselves imagining up more scenarios with multiple Trolls and Drow squads, or did you find yourselves sticking to what comes in the box?

Last edited by Porkins; January 9th, 2010 at 01:24 AM.
Old January 8th, 2010, 10:25 PM
Mighty Mouse!

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porkins;986212

[B
In playtesting, did you find that it was desirable to have multiple Trolls and multiple squads of Drow?[/B]

And if so, why?

Sorry, what I meant was, I wondered if you found yourselves imagining up more scenarios with multiple Trolls and Drow squads, or did you find yourselves sticking to what comes in the box?
We stuck with what was in the box.

Quote:
Originally Posted by loborocket View Post
Q1: Does the design team use any kind of "test plan" when playtesting? i.e. Play a match against a 4th Mass Army, play amatch against a Vydar range army, play a match against kinghts army, etc... Or do you just play what you feel like playing and try to mix in a variety?

Q2: How many games are typically played with new figures in order to work out "statistical anomoloy" and luck factor in order to decide a figures final cost?
We use a method I call "play and evaluate". Which means basically, you draft the new figure, play with it and evaluate its effect on the game. Beyond this just have fun.

We don't use a scientific method, we are all busy people, and playtesting is volunteering. Roll dice, push plastic, report results. Works far better than speculation any day.

~IamBatman

~Clancampbell

Last edited by Grungebob; January 8th, 2010 at 10:30 PM.
Closed Thread

Go Back   Heroscapers > Official Valhalla HeroScape > HeroScape General Discussion