Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios
Maps & Scenarios Battlegrounds and scenarios

Old December 15th, 2007, 12:00 PM

LongHeroscaper has disabled reputation
Quote:
Originally Posted by peteparkerh
I had a group over tonight and we played the Broken Skyline by Longheroscaper.

I just have to say that this battlefield is brilliant. It's not the prettiest I've seen, but it really made for a great battle. We played this map at least 6 times tonight, and every battle was great.

Thank you Logheroscaper and the whole BOV project.
Thanks a lot, peteparkerh ! This shows one thing: the judges of BoV project are excellent. They work hard to make sure that every map in BoV is worth the time people spend to play on it. If you play on other maps in BoV, I am sure that you will feel the same way, too. That is why I like this project a lot.

L...o....n......g.....H...e.....r....o.....S....c....a....p...e......r .....
Heroscape Brief Card for Beginners.
How to share your maps with the world.
VirtualScape 101.
My map thread.
Old December 15th, 2007, 12:59 PM

Goldendice has disabled reputation
I'd like to nominate another of my maps. This one, Scalding Pass, is much better than my last one. I appreciate any constructive criticism you have to offer and thank you for your time.

Edit: It can be found at: http://www.heroscapers.com/download/?dlid=1093

Edit: Elstree, thank you for your help on showing pictures. I still can't get it to work at the download page, though.
Old December 15th, 2007, 01:18 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
I don't like that map. It doesn't use the lava effectively, in my opinion. Sorry.

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old December 15th, 2007, 01:18 PM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Files inside img tags have to be either .jpg or .gif files. I don't think bitmap (.bmp) is supported.

Open your image in a image editor and save it as a .jpg, then reupload it. After that you should be able to link to it.
Old December 15th, 2007, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody the Marro Stinger
I don't like that map. It doesn't use the lava effectively, in my opinion. Sorry.
The main focus I had for using the lava set was the lava fields: To stay on the spots with the best height, you must risk taking a wound at the end of each round (or risk the 1 in 20 for lava, but that was intended to divert units from getting up there).
Old December 15th, 2007, 05:48 PM

DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby!
Are there any 3 player maps up for induction?
Old December 15th, 2007, 05:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRansom
Section One: Subsection Two of the rules (listed on page one) says that all submitted maps must be for one-on-one play. There has been some talk about starting another forum for three-player maps, though.
Old December 15th, 2007, 06:31 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldendice
Quote:
The main focus I had for using the lava set was the lava fields: To stay on the spots with the best height, you must risk taking a wound at the end of each round (or risk the 1 in 20 for lava, but that was intended to divert units from getting up there).
Problem is, the lava fields are too close to the starting zone. That close, they can get there turn 1, and get off turn 3, and repeat ad naseum. Unlike Ember Canyon Road (where there's so much lava that there isn't enough room to step down safely) and Hot Heights (where you lose an inane number of height advantages by escaping, and lava on the lower levels to kill you as you attempt to assault the top). There also seems to be little stopping range from killing everything here.

Old December 15th, 2007, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Problem is, the lava fields are too close to the starting zone. That close, they can get there turn 1, and get off turn 3, and repeat ad naseum. Unlike Ember Canyon Road (where there's so much lava that there isn't enough room to step down safely) and Hot Heights (where you lose an inane number of height advantages by escaping, and lava on the lower levels to kill you as you attempt to assault the top). There also seems to be little stopping range from killing everything here.
The main reason for the road is to allow melee units to cross the battlefield quickly and counteract the ranged bonus.

Although, in playtesting, moving on and off of height was used, it requires putting at least 2 order markers on the card, making less diversity. In addition, on the 3rd turn, you have to think about whether getting off of height is worth not risking a wound. The reason I don't have too much height is to avoid making flying units too powerful.

I'm not saying that you don't have a point, but I am saying there's another side to your argument. Still, I thank you for your oppinions.
Old December 15th, 2007, 07:05 PM

DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby! DrRansom rolls all skulls baby!
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrRansom
Section One: Subsection Two of the rules (listed on page one) says that all submitted maps must be for one-on-one play. There has been some talk about starting another forum for three-player maps, though.
OK, thanks!
I started a thread for 3 player maps cause there's always three of us wanting to play.
Old December 15th, 2007, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
Quote:
The main reason for the road is to allow melee units to cross the battlefield quickly and counteract the ranged bonus.

Although, in playtesting, moving on and off of height was used, it requires putting at least 2 order markers on the card, making less diversity. In addition, on the 3rd turn, you have to think about whether getting off of height is worth not risking a wound. The reason I don't have too much height is to avoid making flying units too powerful.

I'm not saying that you don't have a point, but I am saying there's another side to your argument. Still, I thank you for your oppinions.
If it means that I would otherwise die at the end of the round, it's worth it. Seriously, most of the time, it is. In addition, the middle has enough ground for the ranged units to escape. Plus, even though it requires 2 order markers, my range is likely the primary attack force anyway, so I'll probably have two order markers on them.
Also, what's here on this map to stop range? I don't see anything that range will fear here.
It's a good map, but it doesn't do much to differientiate itself from the other BoV lava maps, and doesn't look BoV worthy to me. It looks great, though!

Old December 16th, 2007, 05:20 AM
Doesn't need a special title anymore

Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness Elstree wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
I thought that's what you might have in mind here, but actually ranged units don't have to take any risks at all: the first elevated levels are all normal terrain. That's where you put your ranged units to rain elevated holy fire down on the melee units slogging across the map. Those lava field spaces on level two will see more use by your opponents when they finally reach you and are trying to knock you off your perch.

I'm also confused by the lava "towers". Only two of them are tall enough to provide even modest cover, and you can't climb on top. What's their purpose?

You've got a good terrain mechanic here (using lava field in strategic positions above glyphs and snipers' perches) and I like what you've done with the water to break up approaches to the center. However, the rest of the map seems a bit sparse and I feel like what we're seeing is a rough draft rather than a final product.

I'm voting no to review this one.

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Maps & Scenarios