Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards
Custom Units & Army Cards Fan-created HS army cards for units, glyphs, and equipment

Old October 21st, 2007, 12:09 PM
Web Wader

Fallen Templar is surprisingly tart
Huzzah for Dwarfs

"The fact is that a man who wants to act virtuously in every way necessarily comes to grief among so many who are not virtuous."- Niccolo Machiavelli

Old October 21st, 2007, 01:19 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wiet
That seems about right, Soulful. Thanks for your input! Actually, in my first sketches I had Grumli starting with the Deathsong marker on the Army Card, removing it to activate the Deathsong ability.

The problem with this is that the following is not covered: if Grumli, while singing his Deathsong, is healed to more than 1 Life, he is supposedly out of mortal danger, and therefore he would stop singing (the Deathsong being his dwarven way to draw the strength to carry on fighting when all hope is lost). Should it occur that Grumli is eventually destroyed again, he should have the possibility of starting his Deathsong once again.

Now, How do you symbolize this? Do you add a rule that says: "While singing his Deathsong, when Grumli's total Life becomes more than 1, place the Deathsong marker back on the Army Card. Grumli stops singing his Deathsong." ?

Also, I think the HS-mechanics consider 'Life' to be a fixed number (i.e. the one on the Army Card, possibly modified by some special power). It's not the 'Life' that drops or rises when a succesful attack is made against a figure, it's the Wounds. This should also be taken into consideration when phrasing anything that has to do with the being destroyed or not of a figure: It's, according to how I understand the mechanics, better to ask "How many wounds can a figure sustain before being destroyed?" than "How many Life has the figure left before being destroyed?" For this reason, and for healing-purposes, I'm not too pleased with any wording that puts Grumli at "1 Life."

Off topic: Since I'm not a native English speaker (I'm Dutch!), I sometimes have to search for words. Then, when I find them, I find it difficult to be brief, and tend to create sentences that come out far too long. I apologize, and hope you can still follow what I'm trying to say.
Yes, the life doesn't drop, but the amount of wounds you put on him does. Putting him at -1 life doesn't make sense. That's my main problem with him, if anything.

The user formerly known as Bloody the Marro Stinger!
Old October 21st, 2007, 01:21 PM

XSI Addict 32 has disabled reputation
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by XSI Addict 32
I'm really new to customs (i.e. I have never done one before) but heres my take:

"At the begining of a round, before placing order markers, you make place enough wound markers on Grumli's card to reduce his health to 1. If you do this, then for the rest of the round, when Grumli is attacked roll the D20. If you roll a 10 or better, Grumli takes no damage from that attack. At the end of the round, Grumli is destroyed."

This would make him into the Dwarf Tank I believe he was meant to be. For 1 round, he would have a 50/50 chance of avoiding damage. This would allow you to rush an enemy, and devistate them. However, in exchange for this power, he is destroyed at the end of the round. What do you think? Its not official, but its the most I can come up with.

~XSI, saying great card!
In your version the player can activate the ability out of the blue, before taking turns. This I am not happy with. The Deathsong ability should be activated by Grumli being destroyed by the hands of an enemy. This symbolizes him still fighting while he should really have already fallen, because he finds the strength and willpower to carry on in the lament of his Elders...

If a player decides to add an amount of Wound Markers before placing Order markers, what does this symbolize?? Grumli deliberately wounding himself to awaken some sort of bloodrush? That sounds more like a crazy kamikaze-like Berserker.

Still, thanks very much for thinking with me on this one. I hope I clarified some of the background that goes with this special power.
Thankyou for clarifing. I didn't really understand what it was meant to do, so I just took a crack at. Good luck getting him finished.

~XSI, who when he thinks Dwarf. he still can't see them singing.

Seeking a great place to Role Play?
Look no further, the haven for great RP is here:
The Menagerie
Old October 21st, 2007, 01:37 PM

Wiet is surprisingly tart
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody the Marro Stinger
Putting him at -1 life doesn't make sense. That's my main problem with him, if anything.
Aha! There's a misunderstanding here. The wording on the card says "change the number of Wound Markers on this card to Life-1."

And what I mean with that is: Number of Markers = (Life total) - (1). For instance say the Life total is 5, then the number of Wound Markers on the card should be 5 - 1 = 4, i.e. putting Grumli 1 Wound Marker away from being destroyed. The reason it has to be phrased like this, is that the Life total could be different from the number on the Army Card (because of other special powers or special glyphs at work).
Old October 21st, 2007, 01:39 PM

ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness ThrasherDarkrai wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody the Marro Stinger
Putting him at -1 life doesn't make sense. That's my main problem with him, if anything.
Aha! There's a misunderstanding here. The wording on the card says "change the number of Wound Markers on this card to Life-1."

And what I mean with that is: Number of Markers = (Life total) - (1). For instance say the Life total is 5, then the number of Wound Markers on the card should be 5 - 1 = 4, i.e. putting Grumli 1 Wound Marker away from being destroyed. The reason it has to be phrased like this, is that the Life total could be different from the number on the Army Card (because of other special powers or special glyphs at work).
There is nothing in the game that can increase his life at the moment, other then heals, but they don't increase his MAXIMUM life. And that is wayy too complex for someone just seeing the card to understand... definately needs a rewording, methinks.
Thanks for the clarification, by the way!

Old October 21st, 2007, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XSI Addict 32
~XSI, who when he thinks Dwarf. he still can't see them singing.
Not the kind of happy happy joy joy singing, of course... We're talking about a dwarf bellowing the lament that is his family's deathsong, drawing upon its history and meaning to sustain him. A slow, unnerving ode to his deceased Elders.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 10:17 AM

Morbidsoul40 has disabled reputation
If he can keep removing and re-applying the Deathsong ability, he seem a bit overpowered.

I think Soulfuls wording would make the figure interesting enough to play and keep his cost around 90-110. If he has the ability to keep coming back to life, healing to full ad nauseum it becomes game breaking.

Keep in mind this is just my opinion. Otherwise I like the character. I also have a Warhammer Quest Dwarf (I have all the heroes and expansion heroes from that game) that I was going to make a custom out of. You beat me to it! :P
Old October 22nd, 2007, 01:54 PM

Actually I agree about him being a bit overpowered when the Deathsong could just stop and return a while later. I think he should get only one Deathsong. That means no chance of being healed once he is singing it. That also makes the Deathsong more tragic. It would actually get a bit ridiculous when Grumli just gets healed, stops singing, only to resume his song again after the next blow. That would be strange and a lot less believable as a tragic family-lament. More like a 'nah nah nah nah-nah.. I'm not really de-ead!' kind of thing. I'll try to fix the wording soon. I'll post the new version in this thread.
Old October 22nd, 2007, 04:05 PM

Just a tip: Post it in the latest post in the thread, and edit in the first post also.

Old October 23rd, 2007, 04:21 PM

NEW Grumli!

OK everyone, thanks for thinking this one out with me. Here I present the new wording for Grumli Grunnson. I think the Deathsong is a lot clearer now. Also notice I made Grumli a bit more expensive. What do you think? Nice one, eh?

Old October 24th, 2007, 09:24 AM

Morbidsoul40 has disabled reputation
Much much better. I really like this addition to the Ullar army now. Good work!
Old October 26th, 2007, 03:38 PM
Site Admin & Professional SideBoarder

Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer Aldin is a wielder of the Ban Hammer
Welcome to the boards, Wiet!

On behalf of our park interpreting and deathsong singing community I extend to you a laurel and a hearty handshake.

As a new member, you can begin your journey on the path to the fellowship, praise and respect of your Heroscapers peers by checking out this announcement: http://heroscapers.com/community/showthread.php?t=6970

~Aldin, loving the new Dwarf

He either fears his fate too much
or his desserts are small
That dares not put it to the touch
to gain or lose it all
~James Graham

Go Back   Heroscapers > Custom HeroScape Creations > Custom Units & Army Cards