View Single Post
Old July 3rd, 2021, 04:13 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: [Pod 0] Glyph of Movement - Design

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
  1. Glyphs that can be turned on/off at the beginning of each round by revealing an X OM on the figure on the glyph
  2. Symmetrical effects for both (all) armies
  3. Using some of the AotV markers to indicate on/off status
  4. Flipping after initiative
  5. Flipping before setting OMs each round
  6. Once per round/game "Boon" glyphs that can be picked up by Unique Heroes; can't be dropped

1) I actually think I like this. Except I wouldn't complicate it with the X. Just let players decide at the start of each round. If two or more players occupy glyphs, roll the d20 to see who decides in what order (like any other timing conflict, say glyphs on lava field).
2) Rannveig is a normal power glyph, so this doesn't actually need new rules. If we don't do new rules, at least one symmetrical glyph might be neat. Heck, it would probably be neat with new rules, too.
3) Since glyphs naturally have a face-up/face-down orientation, there's no need to get the markers involved. Just flip the glyph itself.
4/5) I prefer before OMs. Which glyphs are/n't active may have some influence on where you want your OMs.
6) This is basically just Treasure glyphs, IMO. We already have Belt of Giant Strength and more that are one-time effects.
1) I agree that involving the X OM with glyphs is probably a bit too complex for what we want here.

2) I'm not sure that I see the correlation between using AotP's markers and Rannveig, unless it's some kind of trigger that flips each time that a figure enters that space? I'm probably missing something here, but I don't see an immediate need for using markers for the glyphs.

3) I agree, and this sort of idea is actually pretty intriguing to me... Say, for example, that we expand that "Inverse Glyph" idea from earlier:
INVERSE GLYPHS
Inverse Glyphs have an "active side" with their name and symbol and an "inactive side" with the Inverse Glyph symbol on their back. While an Inverse Glyph is active, it grants the powers for that glyph <outlined below>. While that Inverse Glyph is inactive, there are no special benefits for that space.

At the beginning of each round, flip every Inverse Glyph on the battlefield so that the opposite side is now revealed. Scenarios will tell you what side to place each Inverse Glyph on to begin the game, or you can start them on any side when designing your own battlefields.
I think that this idea actually has a lot of potential. The glyphs are quite a bit weaker this way since they are only active half of the time and no longer powerful passive bonuses for the duration that they're held, but this has the potential to foster a pretty interesting tempo depending on how maps are designed. The added bit of dynamism to games could really help spice up the flat pieces of cardboard, too.

I also think that the alternating structure is a bit easier of a rule to remember than being able to secretly look at what glyphs you're holding or deciding when to flip them over. Any other thoughts on the matter?

Quote:
Originally Posted by NecroBlade View Post
One thing to note is we'd have to rework the OM-peeking and Reviving glyphs.
I think that we have to be willing to rework them a bit if we want to make a more substantial mechanical tweak to glyphs for sure. These ideas don't gel super well with temporary glyphs in any case, unless we wanted them to only be activable when the glyphs are power-side-up.