View Single Post
Old August 25th, 2009, 03:09 PM

rouby44 rolls all skulls baby! rouby44 rolls all skulls baby! rouby44 rolls all skulls baby! rouby44 rolls all skulls baby!
Re: Balanced Scape

Quote:
Originally Posted by ollie View Post
While the title of the thread was "Exhaustive Revamp..." I was happy to just ignore this as unnecessary but satisfying (presumably) to you and others. Now that it is "Balanced Scape" I want to register disagreement. We already have balanced 'scape. For the reasons Aldin gives I suspect that this is significantly less balanced than the carefully playtested (and fieldtested) 'scape that we all know and love.
Point taken - I see that calling it "Balanced Scape" is a bit presumptuous (and I will edit the title shortly), but I also believe you would be surprised how balanced this system is compared to the official one.

Granted, there will be minor imbalances introduced through changing or adding new units, which I believe is inherent in creating any unit for this game, no matter how much play-testing occurs.

But if you take the official units that are exceptionally strong compared to the others (Raelin, Q9, Mass, Stingers, Rats, etc.) and bring them down to a fair level and simultaneously take units that are exceptionally weak and bring them up (WoA, EI, Dupuis, Templar, Groks, Roman Archers, etc.), you add an unestimable amount of balance to the game that far outweighs any of the minor imbalances that were introduced.

Also, I believe the creators of HS have done an outstanding job at unit creation by and large. Most of the units are balanced well and we have yet to see any evidence of power creep, which is commendable in and of itself.

But it is still far from perfect. No one in their right mind can say that Raelin 1.0 is fairly priced at 80 points or the Deathreavers at 40 or that Khosumet is balanced having 3 life. No one can say that it's a well-designed game mechanic for a 13.33-point Repulsor to be able to destroy a 140-point Deathwalker with a 40% D20 roll.

One thing that I feel allows me to create a more balanced scape is that I have the advantage of hindsight. I can take the entire collection of units and balance them against eachother. The creators of the game obviously didn't have every unit up till now sketched out and so they couldn't forsee all the interplay between them, how they would influence the metagame, etc, but I do have that advantage.