View Single Post
Old June 30th, 2015, 12:09 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: The Great Controversy -- or Is It Really?

The value I see in the vanilla/chocolate discussion is this lesson: When you are participating in a debate, there is your *opponent* and there is your *audience*. The two may be the same, but they may not. In the global warming thread, may it continue to rest in peace, dok and Ollie were debating with Phaethon. I don't think any of the three of them really expected the others to change their minds, but they were all speaking to the readers, to inform them.

The flip-side of this is that if you do not expect to persuade your opponent, and for whatever reason (maybe that you've already made your points; maybe you are conversing in a non-public setting) you have no reason to continue pursuing the non-opponent readers, you may as well stop talking. No need to fight for the last word.

I think that scene from Thank You For Smoking is far more interesting than the debate presented in the OP. I do have strong feelings on the subject (surprise!) but I think it's so obvious and so well-trod that it's almost not worth discussing. On the other hand, I feel something of an obligation to the passersby and the lurkers, and maybe, just maybe, some people here who think they disagree with me will find themselves persuaded by my words (and my links).

So I hear you, about unsubscribing. But I'm not, for the moment.

edit: Holy heck, Sylvano. That right there is a compelling perspective. Been through the fire & survived. Good for you!

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =