View Single Post
Old October 10th, 2018, 09:00 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Orc's Tips to Improve Fast

Quote:
Originally Posted by superfrog View Post
Good read. I know for certain that I am not a high-level player. I'd probably alternate between 2-3 and 3-2 at GenCon. I play many games against others around my skill level, though, so I'd offer some insight on the "Don't Blame the Dice" (which is a good insight for me, I definitely do that too much).

Dice don't win or lose you games per se, but they do screw with your margin for error. It goes along with "You've Never Played a Perfect Game": Whatever mistakes you made can be covered over or amplified by one or two rolls. I also think it's dependent on the armies to some extent. Good armies are built on throwing the most dice on the most consistent basis. The fewer dice you throw, the more variance is introduced, and the more likely it is that your game was affected (not decided, but definitely influenced) by the dice. The more dice you throw, the less variance there is, and the less likely it is your "luck" had anything to do with the outcome.

Higher level of competition -> more dice more consistently -> less variance -> don't blame the dice.
My thoughts mirror MM's on this. Part of it is army construction, but a large portion is the tactical decisions that you make with your army to create disparities in red dice thrown.