View Single Post
Old February 2nd, 2021, 02:12 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

Hmm. That's a fair criticism; the defense bonus is partially thematic given the Kirin's lore, but I think that it also has a compelling gameplay effect (along with slotting the design more nicely into the HS Yokai template of a revealed OM power and matching its general's gameplay themes). I can see how the three aspects of the design feel like a bit much for one unit, especially since the SA is specifically worse on earlier OMs yet the defense power is specifically better on them, but I'm not sure how to change that without cutting out a lot of the theme and utility of the figure in a Yokai build. The SA is important to give them another multi-attacker, but the defense bonus is also very useful with Abe no Seimei's ability to shift around revealed OMs and keep their limited figures alive for longer. The Tor-Kul-Na level stats were found to be necessary to let it function as another centerpiece to the faction, too--early testing showed that 6L/4D was simply too weak for the Kirin to be a worthwhile investment.

Do you think that the design toes these three lines to the point of being detracting, or that it can work as a jack of a few trades? The easiest thing to take away without damaging the Kirin's role in a Yokai build would be the normal attack (it needs the tanky stats as a "melee cheerleader"), but I don't think that really addresses your concern here.

I'm not a huge fan of the Kirin boosting the defense of figures that it attacks, either (I've found that it's not super intuitive for players and it just kind of feels weird that the Kirin is willing to attack them anyway if it's boosting their defense), but I agree that it probably isn't worth the extra text for a relatively small exclusion.