View Single Post
Old May 3rd, 2013, 02:31 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth
Re: Rank Your Favorite Superhero Movies!

This is just live-action, because including animated movies is a HUGE headache, even if they're better than a lot of these (I might give Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker credit for best superhero movie of all time). And of course, I haven't seen a lot of superhero movie in general, so any obvious omissions are probably out of ignorance.

1) Spider-Man 2: Still the quintessential superhero movie. A bit goofy, a bit illogical, but great action sequences, great villain, great characters... it's yet to be topped.
2) Superman: But the original is still pretty close to being the king. It's mostly based on Christopher Reeves, who is Superman and always will be - I think RDJ as Tony Stark is the only actor that comes close to so encapsulating a character.
3) The Incredible Hulk: Ed Norton as the Hulk. Hunted by the army, running away with his girlfriend, smashing, fleeing, great scenes in Rio... another movie that runs on the strength of its lead. I don't even like the Hulk that much - but this is the perfect Hulk movie.
4) Hellboy: Sort of a dark horse candidate (no pun intended), but the Hellboy movies are hands down awesome. Stellar casting, again; the first one is my favorite because it's very pulp-y, which I like.
5) Iron Man: Really a phenomenal action movie all around. If it weren't for Robert Downey Jr. hitting it out of the park here, the entire "Marvel Cinematic Universe" experiment would have been a non-starter.
6) The Avengers: Really just as fanservice movie, but it doesn't need to be anything else. No need to explore characters, no need to slow it down, just put the characters we know together with solid action and writing and let the magic happen.
7) The Dark Knight: Another quality movie... a bit too "not superhero-ish" but it goes without saying that it's solid.
8) Superman II: Not as good as the first, but again, Reeves takes it from "goofy camp" to "Superman perfected." We'll see if Man of Steel can get in the same ballpark... I sort of doubt it.
9) Hellboy II: The Golden Army: Like I said, the first one is my personal favorite, since I'm not as into high fantasy, but they're both great. Come on del Toro, where's III!?
10) X-Men: Not much to say here, but another one I liked... I haven't seen X2, though, and I hear that's a big improvement, so that probably would earn a spot.

HONORABLE MENTION The Rocketeer: I put him down here because it's not so much a superhero movie as a pulp action movie... but it was fantastic, absolutely fantastic. I really need to see Captain America, because if it's anything like The Rocketeer I'll love it.

DISHONORABLE MENTION Ghost Rider: Spirit of Vengeance: I have pretty low standards. REALLY low standards. But this was not a good movie.