View Single Post
Old October 11th, 2018, 09:03 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Astro's Custom Units [Update 10/10/18]

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmon View Post
Awesome figure! I love the samurai, but I do fear the proposed Aura of Terror. It's going to mostly affect melee attackers and the samurai are already very good against melee. It would be a fun synergy to play with, but in making a strong matchup stronger, it could be not so fun to play against.
That's a fair point, but I think it helps that the Samurai themselves are almost guaranteed to suffer the same attack nerf. Oda should do fairly well with some Izumi Samurai as guards, but he brings their attack down to an abysmal 1, which makes turns spent repositioning them far less effective. The Kozuke fair better with 4 attack, but their 3 defense won't last terribly long, even if the attackers are in Aura of Terror, and the Tagawa Samurai will struggle a lot more to quickly get their kills when starting with 2 attack.

I also think that it'll be somewhat difficult to manage in practice, since unlike Tomoe Gozen, Oda doesn't have any practical movement synergies to help him out of a bind. Of course, I could always be off-base here, but I think that there are some notable downsides to Oda that stop him from being a straight buff.

The point of melee match-ups does give me pause in considering a ranged attack (normal or special), though. The Samurai can make for some great guards, and letting him truly use them as a screen or attempt to kite enemies might be problematic. I'm still toying around with some variation of Evil Eye Defense/Arcane Riposte for him, but I like the idea of only letting him counter ranged attacks to distinguish him from the rest of the Samurai.