View Single Post
Old March 15th, 2021, 10:52 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Summoner Wars by Plaid Hat Games

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OEAO View Post
I look at X-Wing, and the conversion kits were better value. Further, X-Wing 1.0 was WAY worse than SW 1.0 in every regard (balance, degeneracy of the meta, literally everything imaginable). X-Wing 1.0 was, quite frankly, a complete dumpster fire. SW had its problems, but I just can't see myself dropping the money to replace everything when the in-game experience will largely be the same, while not having HUGE problems to fix (like X-Wing 1.0 had).
I never played X Wing at a competitive level, but I was kind of surprised by how little some of the raw stats and maneuver dials actually changed. (I just have the Galactic Empire and an unopened Scum upgrade kit). Abilities and point costs all got a huge overhaul, and pretty much anything printed on a card or card stock got reprinted. The only thing that stayed the same is the physical miniatures, which has no analog for Summoner Wars. Also the dice in X Wing appeared to have stayed the same, which they decided to change in Summoner Wars. To buy into all the faction's upgrade kits and a starter set for the new damage cards, you're looking at around $200.00 MSRP, maybe close to 60% of that price if you go strictly off of Amazon prices. You won't be looking at spending $200 MSRP on Summoner Wars 2.0 until there are at least 16 decks.

There was a bit of degeneracy in the game play of high level summoner wars, which is what the core rules changes affect, but Colby decided to re-design all the factions and decks from the ground up to reflect new design goals. The core tactical feel is much the same- as you can guess from the rulebook, but the changes to stats of all the units has meant that this is no longer a game where you plan to get all 3 champions out every game and maybe summon a couple commons.

Although I share some of your fears about event deck building, units will be less problematic since you'll never need to get 2 of any deck. I'd be in favor of playing with open deck lists in high level tournaments to avoid making stuff all about "gotcha" moments.

I'll get to Nukatha's questions in a second...
I guess the big difference is that X-Wing 2.0 was $200 to convert $1K+ of product. Maybe I'm just spoiled by the incredible value of the X-Wing and Ashes conversion kits.

On the other hand, I'm coming around to the build symbols. This article has me excited for the new deck building... my wallet is less excited...

https://www.plaidhatgames.com/news/2...jQGM774ziQni1w

Last edited by OEAO; March 15th, 2021 at 10:53 AM. Reason: Maybe they'll send me free stuff if I start THE Competitive SW Podcast? I AM a famous podcaster, after all...