View Single Post
Old March 22nd, 2015, 05:33 PM
worthless thread clother plotting in his secret island lair

kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun kolakoski is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The New York City Gang Of Four

Well met!

I've created and/or posted in various threads to address aspects of play particular to a future Gang game. My various attempts to cover all the bases in multiple forums was, according to chas, getting "loopy." Putting every idea I have into the threads I've started - my map/scenario thread, for instance - is awfully time consuming, especially given the myriad drafts.
chas started this thread a couple of years ago, and I'm only now realizing that this is the only forum I really need to post in. So, for the time being, I shall post only here and in my blog. That being said . . .

It's only 3 days away! It's the Gang's monthly 'Scape scramble. This month, it's Taeblewalker's Secret Wars!!!! The armies are posted. The teams are set. The forces of Pure Good are represented by chas and Sherman, while the forces of slightly less than Pure Evil are led by Taeblewalker and myself. chas and I had this to say:

We have now figured out how we will crush K. and TW.! Bet on the Good Guys to win!

Which Supers are Good and which are Evil? We have been using my own suggested "definition" so far that anyone who has spent part of their comic book career as one or both alignment can be used as such. But as SD points out, almost every DC/Marvel/Independent character has switched alignment at one point or another. After discussing this yesterday with SD, the two of us are thinking of going back to each character's BASIC, most known orientation, to preserve a difference between the two camps for our Good vs Evil games, which are pretty frequent. This is always subject of course to the take of the current GM, who has to approve the cards for general balance and proper alignment.

What do you think, K. and TW? And how do you do it, everyone else?
~ chas

Second thing first: As long as the distinction is clear, I have no problem either way. But, as in my earlier example - the Predators, some units' alignments may be in doubt regardless.

As to the Good Guys' personal chest thumping: I don't see the MacDirks being much of a factor in this game, as most of the action will be on the choke point rich upper level of the map, not to mention Spawn's Heavy Machine Gun. Grishnak's cards are the strongest on the table, reflecting their point cost, and have formidable power, especially up close. My plan is to use Obsidian to shield our units from clear sight. Taeblewalker has a couple of in your face tough guys, too - and Braxas. His play style is super aggressive, so I expect him to go right at Good's army, but I'm hoping he'll make use of Obsidian a bit, on the way in. Predator and Super Scrull KL'RT, of course, need no such protection, Super Scrull RL'NND has Tactical Teleport to keep him hidden, and Magneto can use Magnetic Assault to keep Good's heavy hitters at bay. The real key, IMHO, is using Beyonder's Supreme Summoning to do the same thing, and to avoid its being used against us. If we can keep Good's units from establishing adjacency with ours, we should win. ~ kolakoski

Last edited by kolakoski; March 22nd, 2015 at 06:08 PM.