View Single Post
Old March 9th, 2021, 12:43 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: Summoner Wars by Plaid Hat Games

My initial thoughts on 2.0 after reading the rulebooks:

Neutral:
Inevitability rules: everyone was already using this in 1.0 anyways, so it's a wash.
Walls: have to see how they work in practice, but they seem to be largely the same.
New Dice: I imagine they're making it harder to hit at range. This is probably a slight Pro, but it's tough to know now.

Pros:
Faction themes better defined.
1x purchase of anything max (can't include more than 4 of any single common, so no more buying multiple decks to get 10x of a common).
Better starting setups.

Cons:
Artwork: this is a huge turn-off for me. The original artwork wasn't great, but I hate the new look. I just can't get into the webtoon look.
Deckbuilding events: this is going to get degenerate as crap imo. No thanks.
Cross-Faction deck building: same as above, I don't trust cross-faction balance. It's just too tough to balance.

Biggest Cons:
This easily could've (and, imo, should've) been a 1.5 like Ashes. The rules have barely changed. An update pack (even if it was expensive) would still have saved a ton of money over the course of time. I have probably $500 sunk into a complete set of 1.0 with plenty of duplicate sets (like, a lot of duplicate sets). It just isn't worth the price of admission, UNLESS PHG ends up running good tourneys...
Which, unfortunately, they don't have a good record doing.

I really wanted to like this, but I think I'm out. The value for someone who has all of 1.0 just isn't there. I love the game, and if you don't have 1.0, definitely check it out.