View Single Post
Old January 27th, 2019, 07:19 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Your Pie View Post
Is it a rules headache? Maybe, I’m not an expert on the rules. I would need a concrete example of the problems it causes in order to be convinced on that point. As is, my understanding of this concern is vague.
Pushing boundaries is not only good for individual designs, it's good for advancing the game as a whole. However, it is always dangerous. Even if a design does not cause any problems with existing units, it could cause awful problems for future designs. The list of official units that consistently cause rules headaches and restrict new designs is long. The more we add to that list, the closer we creep to an unmanageable rules quagmire. Just look to how other long-running systems like MtG rewrite their rulesets every now and again.

But like I said, pushing boundaries is both good and important. But it should not be done lightly, ever. More than anything, it needs to be important to the unit's design, a key part of how it works.

That's not what I'm seeing here. Shootout feels like an order marker-spread mechanic is shoehorned in, because it is. And I don't see a significant gameplay difference; it creates more decisions for order marker placement (sort of), but the resulting sequence of turns won't be much different. The way the unit and faction works would be mostly the same without it, and, most importantly, the strong thematic elements would be unchanged. I'm not convinced that creating a power that essentially adds itself to other units is justified here.