View Single Post
Old November 8th, 2011, 01:56 AM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: capsocrates' customs - last updated 10/27/11 - new cards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scytale View Post
The K'Vir Brothers is an interesting way of creating a unique team of hunters. I especially like how Hunter markers can be used for either offense or defense. Neat mechanic. The hunter theme really comes through.

In terms of cost, they are definitely overpriced. Whether a squad of two or three, 3 defense won't last long. Yeah, they can survive a couple of hits due to Hunter markers, but you could only hope for two uses of that power. Against even weak squads these guys will fall fast.
They have been nerfed quite a bit since their first version. Originally their special attack was also a double attack and they had 4 defense, but I felt like that was too strong. I only playtested them once like that, so I nerfed them mainly based on theoryscaping. EDIT: They also had 4 hunter markers, rather than 3.

Quote:
Offensively they're not all that hot either. One may think that two or three attacks of 5 is devastating, and it is pretty strong, but the Kozuke Samurai at 100pts can provide that without restrictions and are better at getting into combat. If the K'Virs had Disengage I might suggest a higher cost, but without that a smart opponent will lock them down before they have a chance of getting to their target.
That is an excellent point. I had not thought of the Kozuke. The problem with giving them Disengage is that there is then so much text that the card is unreadable.

Quote:
My first suggestion is to remove the 4 clear sight space restriction on Hunter's Mark. Putting a mark on a far-away figure isn't a good idea anyway, and not having to be close to your target at the end of a round would make them easier to play.
The problem I see is that they may be difficult to get into combat without losing a hunter marker that way. Suppose I take a marker off of them and place it on an opposing hero at the beginning of a round in which they start in the starting zone. If they don't kill the hero they marked in three turns, that marker is lost to them. So I put the four-spaces requirement in there to keep them from losing markers just to get into the fight. Maybe it would be better with 8 or 10 spaces? I run into the same problem with making this work that I ran into with disengage--the text that makes it clear just takes up too much space.

Quote:
Point-wise, at a squad of three I would start testing them at 100pts or less, maybe as low as 80. As a squad of two I would put them in the 60-70pt range.

They can fill a role as assassins, but they'll need a lot of care to get the most out of them. Against most armies finding the right moment to strike will be difficult. Potentially good rewards, though, so at the right price point they could be worth it.
It sounds like I really need to playtest them. Maybe I'll bump their stats back up some, because I want them to be a little more powerful. Disengage would definitely be good for them.

I'll upload the version of the card that is simpler, so you can see that also.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV