View Single Post
Old November 21st, 2018, 12:07 PM
Thanksgiving Custom Contest Champion

Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth Scytale is a man of the cloth
Re: Soldiers of Valhalla - nominations and discussion

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sir Heroscape View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundwarp SG-1 View Post
Beakface Archer by Sir Heroscape
(and Beakface Rogue)

I'm not giving a full review of these two. I was weary of the Archer from the start, and testing only confirmed my fears. While they are supposed to be a supplementary force for the Beakface Sneaks, to me they played more like a replacement for them. I'm not comfortable with a new SoV essentially obsoleting an old one, and thus can't support these units as they currently stand.

I vote to induct the Beakface Archer and Rogue to the SoV.

--
Am I misunderstanding here? Cause what this sounds like to me is “I didn’t like these guys from the start so I haven’t given them a chance, and after a few tests my worries were confirmed.” If not, and you just had a late night and didn’t wanna type up the rest of what a normal review looks like then okay, sure I guess that’s fine. But if I’m right, then I would sincerely hope there was more due diligence than this. I would question just how much you’ve actually played them, because while different, they are difficult to make work, but after rigorous playtesting the judges were able to figure them out. I had the same experience. How many playtests did you do? other judges have pointed out they had concerns from the start as well but were pleasantly surprised to see these guys be a great addition to the faction, but that takes setting aside your preconceptions and doing the testing with an open mind. I know I may be preaching to the choir, put I think it’s not wrong to share how I feel this was handled and after over a year to do these guys review it seems to me this was handled poorly and I don’t feel like you really put in the necessary effort for these guys. Hopefully a more detailed response from you will show my concerns were somewhat unfounded and you have in fact put in the due diligence for these guys.
We Judges have different opinions and approaches, and often different reasons for downvotes. Sometimes we only tentatively approve a submission with a serious concern, with the willingness to give it a try and see if our worries are founded. After all, it's quite often that a unit ends up playing differently on the battlefield than simple Theoryscape would suggest. But if testing confirms our fears, a downvote is in order.

Soundwarp was concerned from the start (as were others) that the Beakface submissions obsolete the Sneaks. I didn't feel like they did in my testing, nor did other Judges, but it's all a matter of opinion. If Soundwarp felt they were too similar and better than the existing unit, then we all support his review.

Brevity in a review does not indicate a lack of due diligence.