View Single Post
Old April 18th, 2019, 12:27 PM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: What Board Game Are You Currently Playing?

Quote:
Originally Posted by IAmBatman View Post
Why not? If they think it's a viable product that would sell, they should have the resources, given that they're under the Asmodee banner at this point.

I guess it all comes down to R.O.I. though. If there's not a market for it any longer, they probably won't.

I got a starter set for it back in the day, but two player, non-coop games don't really hit the table for me.
Sure, but based on how people like KC (lead play tester/designer) and others in the know have talked, it's pretty clear that PHG had no plans to continue it or revive it when it ended. I don't think that's changed.

I love the game, and it will probably never leave my Top 10. However, PHG mismanaged it:

1. OP was terrible; there was never any sort of tournament hierarchy/structure or prize support created. This makes it very hard to get any sort of competitive scene going. There was also never any official tournament rules until the very end of the game.
2. Release model was weird. Most people fall into one of two groups: either casual board gamers or competitive card game players. The casual board gamers don't want to hunt down small packs; rather, they'd like to just pick up box sets with everything in them. The Master Set was a great example of this. The competitive players want more than a couple expansions released each year, or else the meta doesn't shift enough. If they released everything in large boxes, they'd do a better job of getting the casual crowd into it. If they released everything in more of an FFG LCG style, they'd do a better job of getting the competitive crowd into it.
3. Release model was weird part 2: they didn't give you enough cards to fill out a complete deck. For example, if you bought the Jungle Elf first summoner, you got 4 Lioneers. You can run up to 10 of any common in your deck, and you generally want a maximum of 3 different commons to help with consistency. However, you would have to buy 2-3 of everything in order to be able to run the max number of any common. This could be solved with tournament rules stating you can only run the number of commons provided in any one set; eg, can only run 4 Lioneers in one deck. As previously mentioned, however, there was no competitive ruleset made. This is compounded by point 4.
4. Really bad balance. This is true in a lot of games, but SW had really, really bad balance. A lot of factions are just start with 10x of their best common and figure it out from there. For example, any Krusk deck should run 10x SG Shaman, any Ret deck should run 10x Warlock, etc.
5. Flaws in the core rules. The core rules include starting setups, summoning from walls, self-killing units for magic, and more.

Let me recap first by saying that I LOVE SW. However, a revamp would need to address these issues to be really successful in the current crowded market. With all the great LCGs and board games on the market, PHG would need to really give SW a complete overhaul. While it could be done, it would require a large team to revamp it. PHG have let so many of their games die and they seem to be pumping out game after game these days.

Edit: sorry, that was a bit of a rant. TLDR: SW should have been a great competitive game, but mismanagement really hurt it. For it to be profitable, PHG would need to fix some issues.
Edit pt 2: I would love to see a FFG revamp of it...