View Single Post
Old March 17th, 2023, 04:03 PM
My six-year-old sister-in-law calls the shots

caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth caps is a man of the cloth
Re: Warmonium - A Heroscape-like game

I have played it but have been plagued by my usual issue of real life getting in the way of video game time, so I haven't played it a *lot*.

I think it's good! Definitely the closest thing to a digital version of Heroscape that I've seen. The map editor is fun and pretty easy to use (though last time I was in there it didn't have any line of sight blockers, but that feature is/was on the way). The different factions are fun and distinct. They do actual hitboxes and line of sight, like an automated version of Heroscape's line of sight rules, which is neat. I look forward to seeing everything they do with it--they have plans to add good mod support for alternate rules, for instance. I won't be shocked if someone is able to make a Heroscape mod for it at some point.

My 2 main complaints are:
- high ground has a dramatically reduced effect on gameplay. It doesn't cost extra to move up, and you don't get any extra attack, defense, range, etc. for having a height advantage. Falling damage is still a thing, though. There is still some advantage to high ground in that you can see more of the map so it is easier to find targets and hit them. To me, the way height advantage makes for really interesting counterplay between armies is one of subtle things that makes Heroscape great. The devs say most of the interesting map counter-play comes from the fact that...
- ...many of the factions really lean into terrain-dependent abilities, so that map-makers have to make maps with a variety of terrains in advantageous positions in an attempt to balance out various matchups. I feel like that's going to be easier said than done and will ultimately limit map creation and the competitive meta. Truly terrain-dependent figures are really hard to balance and make effective in the Heroscape meta--I don't see a reason that Warmonium will be any different. Then again, maybe the terrain-dependent abilities aren't as dramatic in Warmonium as they can be in Heroscape. I am not familiar with all of the cards since I mostly stuck to the robot faction.

But even with my complaints, I recommend getting it and playing it. It is a special game. And if it is successful and they're able to add the mod support they've talked about, we'll probably be able to get Heroscape (and more!) from it.

Formerly known as capsocrates
--
Remixed Master Sets - challenge yourself with new terrain combinations!
--
Colorado Fall 2023 Multiplayer Madness
--
caps's Customs Redux - caps's multiplayer maps - caps's maps - Seagate

--
Continuing Classic Heroscape: C3V SoV