View Single Post
Old September 1st, 2019, 12:06 AM

Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness Shurrig wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Shurrig's Maps: Hollow Ramparts (New Map)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by JaesShurrig View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cleon View Post
I like how you squeezed the treasure glyph in the small opening between the walls on this map. Looks cool.
Thanks! I wanted to see if I could make a "competitive" map using a single BftU set, but that's incredibly difficult. I'm still happy with how it turned out though!
Yeah. I honestly don't think you can make a good competitive map with only 1 BftU for the standard formats - 400+ pt. and 16-24 figs. Maybe in smaller formats or Heat of Battle or something, but I don't think it works with the standard. The best I've seen so far is Dignan's Shards. Typhon's Anvil is pretty good and I just made one I'm pretty happy with. But every one I've seen suffers from dragons, strong melee like Heavies simply rolling through, and/or rats clogging the whole thing.

Basically if you make it so that Zelrig hits big first turn, he's gonna dominate, and if you push the start zones back, then Nilfheim (maybe Braxas too) is going to position himself so that you can't get out of your start zone. I have mine built so that Zelrig can hit but not the full 7, but he still hits 4-5. I was hoping to get it down to 1-3 but couldn't configure it and maintain the other things I wanted in the map. And if you somehow solve this you still have the other two problems I mentioned to tackle.

You just don't get enough terrain to make a map that can run with the rest. If they had given you 2 spare 24 hexes for start zones then you'd probably be fine, but it always feels like you're spending half the map to make your start zones.
It’s really a shame that BftU sets are so expensive, a single set just doesn’t feel like enough to work with. Even using RttFF and FotA with it feels like a challenge