View Single Post
Old January 4th, 2010, 01:32 PM

Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness Velenne wears ripped pants of awesomeness
Re: Velenne's Tournament Maps and Fun Scenarios- 5 new MS ma

So...

Several of my 'new' maps are really updates to old maps. The 3 team maps are submissions for an upcoming DFW team tournament, while the new 2-player maps utilize the latest D&D Master set terrain.

There's really not a whole lot of terrain at all in the MS- about as much as the Marvel set. So building a quality map that uses just one proved to be too much for me. I had to add a bunch more to it. I though mixing the Marvel and Dungeon sets gave me a fair amount of terrain while still maintaining the black/white aesthetic. I really like how Mines of Marr turned out. With such a small map and a long central road, it's going to be melee-friendly. The Thorian glyph is a nice incentive to bring units together in the middle, but getting around behind the bridge walls isn't too tough and you've got some shadow tiles to help protect you along the way back there. There's places to hide to, and that's always a big plus.

Acolarh's Trial is a rework of Sonlen's Gambit, where I introduce a Fog Glyph. I needed 2 Dungeon sets to make this one the way I wanted it, and I think that worked out great. The summon glyphs give you a way to either pull up an opponent's cheerleader figure, or get your own double-spaced threat up top quickly. However, due to their placement it's possible for your opponent to get close and foil your attempts.

I toyed with the idea of putting some of your starting zone up top and taking out the glyphs, but the Summon glyphs are so fun and I would hate for one guy to win Init and be able to have his strongest units up top right off the bat. This way, if you want the heights you have to spend the OM's to get there, or dive for cover in the lower area. I'm particularly fond of the way the lower 'underground' area turned out. I love mixing liquid tiles together.

Luke C designed the Canyon Run team map and we both tweaked it after playing quite a few games on it. (It looks much different now than it did originally!) The glyphs and canyons draw play to the middle zone, but if you want to get your double-spaced folks up top, you've got a protected means to do so. The roads pull you to the left and the fact that they don't connect all the way around is purposeful. On the games we played, there was a great deal of both vertical and horizontal position battles. The strong glyphs in the middle can dictate a lot of gameplay. (I love fixed glyphs if you couldn't tell!)

The update to Swog Bog needed to happen. I created it before the Ticalla Jungle sets were released so it needed some revision love.

Finally, the team version of Obsidian Overwatch is one of my favorite maps I've ever done. Just look at that! Glorious! Anyway, I love the look of the lava and dungeon terrain together. Throw in some ladder jumping, lots of cover, lots of road, and some low-ground shadow tiles with glyphs on them and you've got a recipe for disaster.