View Single Post
Old November 14th, 2023, 02:08 PM
now with morh frostrating pun-ishment

Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death! Typhon2222 is hot lava death!
Re: Wargrounds of Scape (WoS) - discussion thread

With ScapeCon East now concluded and some feedback in, I guess I'll nominate my Odin Wept to the WoS.

Odin Wept
Uses: 1 BftU, 1 TT, 1 VW

An earlier version of the map was selected for ScapeCon 2022, but feedback from the event revealed some problems. That version's 3-hex outcrops/glaciers were positioned further forward. As a result, the map could be abused by ranged pods setting up shop on the big 24-hex slab just outside the SZ.

This version solves that problem by moving the 3-hex glacier/outcrop closer to the SZ. And since it was posted 8 months ago, it has been used in at least 7 tournaments that I know about:

OST 3
Dallas Draft Tournament (4/30/23)
Utah Monthlies (5/27/23)
OHS 52
Utah Monthlies August 2023 (8/26/23)
Denver tournament (11/11/23)
ScapeCon East 2023 (Nov. 10-13, 2023)

Some feedback on it (and HUGE THANKS to everybody who gave it).....

from @Dignan (link): "It served us well. I enjoyed the game I had there and I saw a lot of interesting play on the map."

from @Grey Waves (link): "This map feels very unique compared to most of the maps I've played on in tournaments, thanks in part to the unconventional terrain combo. I love the jump from level 0 to level 2 straight out of the start zone and how the glacier kind of forces you to pick one side or the other (but figures can still move smoothly from one side to the other if they need to). The shadow tiles are placed very well, and the glyphs are just out of the way enough that you need to put in effort to grab them, but not to the point where they feel unreachable. I haven't got to play as many games on this one so far, but I'm definitely looking forward to playing on it again in the future."

And from the recent ScapeCon East:

from @Shurrig (link): "....I’m always impressed with how much Typhon can get away with with such a limited terrain combo. Those 24-hexes a placed quite precariously, but just getting them up to level 2 is quite the achievement. My games on Odin Wept were fun even though I was 0-2 on it for the weekend, and neither losses felt like they were the map’s fault. It’s quite small which is good for melee and I really enjoyed the interactions between the lava and shadow tiles here. If it were at all possible to open up that level 2 lane of shadow to prevent the lava speed bump it’d make me like the map that much more, but as it is it’s still quite good."

from @Foudzing (private message): "Well the new version seems like a complete success to me, also did hear only good things about the map. The shadow lava combo is just such a sick combo gameplay-wise, the map seems very balanced range vs melee, it's just bumpy enough for range to get few free attacks but not much."

Finally, as for terrain.... I think its unique combination of terrain sets it apart, and would help fill a niche that no other map in the WoS currently does. And its requirement of only 1 dungeon set will make it more flexible than those dungeon maps which call for 2.

Thanks for your consideration!

P.S. @superfrog encouraged me to nominate the map. So if you don't like it, blame frog!

Last edited by Typhon2222; November 14th, 2023 at 06:37 PM.