View Single Post
Old June 19th, 2020, 12:32 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: [Pod 2] Nahiri, Fury in Stone

Jumping in really quick to offer my on Dragonheart Blade:

I think that it really helps in selling the theme that she is channeling the powers of an actual dragon. With just a Special Attack named similarly to Zelrig's but acting slightly different, it evokes him without necessarily making the connection more fully.

I do think that the power itself could be improved with a few changes:
Quote:
DRAGON'S BLOOD
Whenever Katryn is chosen for a special power, you may treat her size and height as Huge 4 instead of what is on this card.
That cuts out Special Attacks, which can get really wonky and usually don't depend on size anyway, and limits it specifically to when she is chosen for a Special Power. That means that stuff like Sir Denrick's Giant Killer wouldn't affect her, but she can choose to be immune against things like Braxas' Poisonous Acid Breath. Of course, Scytale would know how to word this far better, but I think that reigning in the scope of the power a fair bit would help ease the almost guaranteed rules issues.

The other change (that I personally think is more important) is to rename the power to help sell the theme. It's nice to give the glowing fire sword a specific name, but Dragonheart Blade doesn't really give any explanation for why Katryn suddenly "becomes huge," which makes the power hard to envision. The power name should more clearly depict her channeling the image of Zelrig or whatever else to justify why she gains those immunities, not just name the blade. Her bio could explain that she received the "_____ Blade" from Zelrig and that's how she got her powers, just like Drake with his magical katana. I think that a better name than Dragon's Blood is in order, but hopefully it gets the idea across well enough.

You could even add "...treat her species as Dragon and her size and height as..." to really nail down the theme (though that does come with the super weird result of making her an eligible Lizard King ).

In terms of this power feeling "custom-y," I don't think that it's any worse than a power saying that a figure can triple their height when climbing. Conditionally changing height is already a thing, so conditionally changing size doesn't seem to break with the spirit of the game to me.

In terms of usefulness, there are enough times that I would want to use this power that I consider it very useful. Many auto-wounding powers include small or medium restrictions, especially in classic HeroScape. Stuff like Engagement Strike, Trample Stomp, Ramming, Knockback, Throw, Talon Grab, and plenty more all lose their effectiveness against Katryn. I actually think that the power is much more useful than many niche defensive powers, since it's effectively giving her Large/Huge immunities. It won't matter in every game, but it'll definitely matter enough times to be noticed.

Now, in our set, that's currently just Ozuul, Dienekes, and (maybe) Vlad. That means that there will be games with just these characters where the large/huge immunities of Ozuul and the Ukushisa Pride matter, but they are the only figures with those immunities currently. Captain Stupendous already did an excellent job of outlining why that can be seen as a benefit rather than as a negative, so I won't repeat that argument.

...In hindsight, that wasn't very quick at all. My apologies for the long post--I sat down intending only to respond to my ping. Personally, I would suggest pinging the rest of the pod and seeing how they feel about the second power.