View Single Post
Old March 22nd, 2018, 12:28 PM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Movies: What did You Watch Last Night?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swamper View Post
I didn't mind Black Panther, but it wasn't as good as the hype. Just because it has black people and talks about black issues doesn't make it a better movie than any other Marvel movie.
Geez, Swamper. Is that what you think?

I don't mind saying that I think it's the best Marvel movie, and it has nothing to do with race. It has a complex villain, it has real moral dilemmas, even the minor characters have depth, and - besides executing a traditional superhero story well - it stands up to critical evaluation. By which I mean it's more than just a superficial story.

I have nothing against shallow fiction; some of my favorite works of art fall into that category. Like the book I consider the greatest adventure of all time, The Count of Monte Cristo. And there have been plenty of excellent Marvel superhero movies in that category, such as Thor: Ragnarok, the original Avengers movie, and many of the other ones. They don't really seem to hit a wrong note, spinning these fun stories. But they aren't *about* other things the same way Black Panther was.

I don't care whether you agree with me or not, Swamper. But I will thank you kindly for allowing me the freedom of my own mind, and not prattling on about why I like one thing more than another, when I am assuredly in a better position to know how I feel about the movie.

Finally, I will say that I welcome a discussion comparing movies to each other. Some analysis - some opinions - bear up to close analysis better then others, and I'm not above a serious discussion of the worthiness of my own ideas. But I won't have my own reasons for thinking the way I do dismissed out-of-hand by someone who appears to think I'm a sociopolitically motivated simpleton.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =

Last edited by Dad_Scaper; March 22nd, 2018 at 02:10 PM. Reason: I don't even think it's close. I've enjoyed all the other mcu movies, more or less, but BP is best by a mile, IMHO.