View Single Post
Old July 5th, 2016, 11:07 AM

IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun IshMEL is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: IshMEL's foray into custom terrain

I thought I would try my hand at some more papercraft terrain. First, a Woodsman's Hut which is a free download from WOTC.

It's not too hard to put together. I mounted it on a grass 7-hex cardstock base, and can slip a magnet inside to hold it in place. The "open door" is my own addition, but as there is no way to use the interior (the roof is glued on) it's just there for show. (And to get a magnet inside.) The octagonal hut just about fits on the base, a few corners stick out a bit but I don't think placement will be an issue.

I think it looks pretty good. There's no usable rooftop so it's just a big LOS and set decoration. It could be converted to have a removable roof, I suppose?

The set also comes with a "ruined hut." I first tried something different with the layout, turning the octagon into a square:

As you can see from the top down view, it has 3 usable hexes on the inside, and 3 mostly-usable hexes on the outside. Finn is squeezing onto one of the exterior hexes here.

It's OK but the half-hexes bother me. But what if we put the ruined wall on the outside edge, like a battlement?

I did some resizing / kit bashing on the model, and here's the result:

Each wall covers 7 sides, and there's a 2 hex entry on two sides.

I've written the height of each section on the interior wall -- in my next version I will print them on the inside base floor. There are hash marks on the outside for height but they are too hard to see.

I like how it came out. Fortunately all the black sharpie used to cover up the white paper looks like char marks. The "bent door" is a little odd but hey, it's a ruin, right?

The design is flexible: it could be used to cover different configurations of sides. (I was originally planning on covering 16 of the 18 sides, but decided I need two 2-hex entries. Easy enough: tear off a side! Use more sharpie!) If folks are interested I can share the files and write up proper directions.

Last edited by IshMEL; April 4th, 2017 at 01:56 PM.