View Single Post
Old May 14th, 2021, 10:10 PM

Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Ulysses is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Re: Bracket Two ScapeCon Map Contest VOTE

More hot takes from the peanut gallery:

The Jabberwock
Like:
Love the start zones, color coded, well split, and really stretching the pathing out to accommodate the wider map
Love the Borogoves feel in the center and I'm really happy with the placement of the other TJ pieces as well.
The map just looks awesome (already built this one IRL)
I voted for this map, likely my favorite so far
Thoughts:
I agree that it would be nice if the central outcrops could be brought outward more to allow the shadow pool to contest some of the two hills.

Chronicles
Like:
Development seems like it flows well here
Love maps that use the bridge walls and they look great
Don't mind the un-bonused road aesthetically
Thoughts:
The split here seems a little arbitrary, not sure how it plays that much differently than an un-split map.

Off the Beaten Path
Like:
The bilateral symmetry is very cool and it shows you took some time with it, at least in my experience bilaterally symmetrical maps take some finesse when working within a set amount of tiles.
The center of the map looks especially fun to play
Thoughts:
Tiny bit of double-space denial in the SZ (not a huge deal)
As others have said, it's long, and I'm not sure the road will make it worth the slog

Peace Unknown
Like:
Certainly the most creative take on the challenge and a very clever idea
Love the way you made playing through the center so difficult, but you're rewarded with Wannok if you do
Thought:
The straight castle walls that butt up to the RotV ruins may need to be rotated to fit (at least in my test they needed to be flat side facing the RotV ruin tip)
Probably not great for standard tourneys, but I'd run this in a figure draft game for sure

Desolation
Like:
Great theme, liking the dual hive action as always and the name fits what I'm seeing
Thoughts:
Don't love the start zones back-lined with water, not sure why it's there except aesthetics maybe
It feels pretty large and the pathing seems odd in places
I do feel like this is maybe only a few tweaks away from being twice as appealing to me

Frosty Lake
Like:
The road looks very usable and the terrain combo is gorgeous
Shadow placement seems on point
The two 2-hex perches can't be hopped back and forth on with 6 move dragons
Thoughts:
It would be cool if the road could contest the north and south snow hills
Zelrig would have maybe too good a time on this, but no one can afford him anyhow

Fantasy
Like:
Really like the long two-hex SZs on this though it's a pretty mild split here
Digging the way you divided the grass and sand between the two sides of the map giving it balance without it being completely aesthetically symmetrical
Thoughts:
Not sold on the glyphs being so close to each other, I feel like the faster team could lock down the whole center and have quite the advantage depending on the glyph pool
I think just moving the glyphs would help the outskirts see more action, even though I like the edges play fast and have good LOS blocks.

Forest Fire
Like:
Love how the road works its way to the lava height and has a few good pockets of elevation itself without being overpowered
Glad to see the SZ get some good cover from the ruins
Thoughts:
A tiny double-space figure denial in the SZ and a little hard for them a couple other places on the map too, but nothing huge
Would almost like seeing the lava and water swap places in the SZ split
High lava dunk potential
This isn't the first map named this for a map building contest, but I don't think Rednax published it on his page, no biggy probably

Last edited by Ulysses; May 15th, 2021 at 03:45 AM.