View Single Post
Old May 22nd, 2022, 08:34 AM
Online HS Season 10 Champion

vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth vegietarian18 is a man of the cloth
Re: Tournament Map Feedback Thread

I am giving feedback on this week's OHS map, Eyohi.

Eyohi uses an often-attempted but difficult to master terrain set: 2x Dungeon 1x Jungle. I personally think this combo is extremely difficult to make perfect because of the double defensive boosts from Jungle and Shadow. The gold standard board is imo Typhon's Borogroves, which failed the original WoS. Some other solid boards with this set combo are Sirocco, Caldera, and Jabberwock.

Like most of these other boards, this board has a big shadow pool. Unlike the other boards, the shadow pool here is on level 2 instead of 0 of 1. Instead of a stacked pool of shadow and jungle in the middle, jungle shields you on the way out of the startzone on the way to the level 2 shadow pool. It's an interesting angle to fix the problems these boards have had, but I think those boards played a little more dynamically than Eyohi. On those boards, the hills on the sides pull you to the sides, while the shadow up the middle offered a quicker path to traverse the board. Here, you kind of just run up the middle to take the height and the shadow. The level 3 and 4 spaces above the shadow offer an angle to threaten the shadow pool, reminiscent of Stygian Rift, so that's interesting. Intuitively during my game I felt like the middle rock spaces should have been the level 4 instead of the dungeon spaces on the side, but that may just be me.

Ultimately I think I'd need some more games to really have a strong opinion. This board doesn't have any major flaws: doesn't pull strongly in any direction out of the startzone, doesn't have any super threatening Raelin perches. But I guess personally when it comes to such heavily tread ground as 2x Dungeon 1x Jungle, I'm looking for something really special to justify itself over these other solid boards using this set combo.