View Single Post
Old May 14th, 2019, 10:27 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: [Pod 0] UNIT NAME (Jace, Investigator) - Design

For the name of the unit, I'd personally like to reference Blade Runner (or Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep, but less people are likely to get that one). It was instrumental in establishing the cyberpunk genre, and there are plenty of good names to draw from.

Tyrell is the name of the company that developed androids in the movies, but Rosen was the original name from the book. All Your Pie draft's name Jydel evokes the former a little to me, but I wouldn't mind poking a little closer to the source. There are also plenty of character names, but outside of Rick Deckard and a handful of others, I would need to pull out my book again to remember them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumpkin_King View Post
Or what about something like...he has a built-in neural network that “learns” about his enemies or allies as he watches them.
I find it hard to imagine a straightforward implementation of him learning about enemies/allies other than a simple attack/defense boost against figures with the marker on them, which I'm not overly fond of. Did you have something else in mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by All Your Pie View Post
How about something like:

5L 5M 4R 3A 4D

Neural Stimulant
Before attacking with Jydel, you may place a wound marker on this card. If you do, add 3 to this card's attack value.

Brainjack 13
After taking a turn with Jydel, if he inflicted one or more wounds on a Unique Hero with his normal attack this turn, you may roll the 20-sided die. If you roll a 13 or higher, take temporary control of the figure he attacked and immediately take a turn with them. After the turn, control of the figure returns to the player that controlled it before the Brainjack.

This would be separate from the hacking/negation power with the marker, though. Alternatively, we could use that power along with some sort of cyber-barrier defensive power to make him more of an irritating/harassing figure.
I wouldn't want to mix this with the negation angle, personally. Neural Stimulant (I'm a little afraid that this name might stray a little too close to drug imagery for something that the original designers would've released, but that's a minor aside and I like the power itself) and Brainjack are already a very effective combo, and I like how they tie together. The low base attack combined with the desire to inflict wounds to trigger the second power sounds fun when combined with the risk of wounding yourself to increase attack.

I'm not completely sold on a form of Mind Control over than negation, but either can work well for a hero-heavy set. I will say that negation is more unique/rare than Mind Control in classic 'Scape, which lends itself well to making Jydell stand out, but there's no need to be different for the sake of being different.

Quote:
Originally Posted by flameslayer93 View Post
Actually, what if we made his only power into some form of Brainjack? Maybe instead of attacking, he can choose a figure he’s adjacent to and take a turn with that figure/squad. We could implement a d20 roll of course. It pays a little homage to the first AotP Jace (and Blue decks in general) too, which I suspect people will like.

We’ll have to account for things like Lava Dunking, but it’s not the first time a unit had to worry about Lava Dunking.
I quite like the idea of him hurting himself somehow through augmentation to boost his offense, whether it's directly tied to his second power (Brainjack or Negation, currently) or not. It feels very cyberpunk to me.