View Single Post
Old May 1st, 2018, 10:13 AM
Dad_Scaper Dad_Scaper is offline. Isn't that smurfy?
Enjoy the Sausage

Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth Dad_Scaper is a man of the cloth
Re: Letters From the Front

Excellent! I recently rolled up a halfling archer myself, for @capsocrates ' Pathfinder game. It sounds like yours is a rogue, though, and mine is a paladin. I look forward to hearing more stories of his/her derring-do, perhaps but not necessarily including the name of him/her/it.

Continuing the story of Del, Thraag, Sue, and Finn, from three (or so) posts above:

We've had a combat-heavy few weeks since I last posted.

Del & Co. followed a tunnel along an underground stream bed that led them to a few old prison cells, likely unused in a century or more. We probably found a few odds and ends; I don't remember, and that bit of exploring is shrouded in my memory, shrouded by the terror that followed.

We re-rolled stealth after checking the prison cells and rolled, as a group, very poorly. We disturbed the roper
Spoiler Alert!
concealed in the darkness on the other side of the stream.

With its long tentacles it slapped us around and dragged some of us toward its gaping mouth, leaving others helpless to watch from the other side of the stream. It was a very bad situation, maybe the most perilous we've been in. Thraag, our barbarian, tried to help by throwing his magic javelin at it, and the rest of us chipped in doing different ineffective things. It grabbed the Sue's pig - Curly - and we successfully pulled him free, only to see him drop into the rushing water. He was only saved by a lucky athletics roll, courtesy of I-don't-remember-whom.

I cast a powerful illusion spell to make the roper think it was being attacked by a scary goliath, and we did a couple other things to extract our party from the scene without anybody actually dying. It was very close, and we ended up leaving behind the magic javelin.

We brushed ourselves off, took a short rest, and made our way to a large door we hadn't opened yet. We followed a long passage to a small dead end with a few statues. By looking far longer than should have been necessary, we found a secret door, which led us down into one entrance into what would have been a massive throne room, in ancient times. Now, it was occupied by a half-dozen duergar (dark dwarves), who tried to scare us away and then attacked us.

Long story short: we fought six, then reinforcements came in from two sides, and it probably should have been a grueling, long fight. But they rolled poorly a couple of times, and they huddled together at the beginning of the fight which was a mistake because fireball, and later in the combat they had a couple casters hiding near each other in the back which a mistake also because fireball, and also I now have counterspell. So I'm often not the star of combat but I was this time, and then when two survivors tried to hide in a neighboring room we found them and killed them, plus we interrogated one about captured halflings (I refer you to Act III, Scene i, when we established that we are searching for Finn's family), and he gave us a clue or two and then behaved like an evil bad guy so we killed him.

We pushed on a bit further, finding a network of secret halls behind the throne itself, and it led us to a room with a couple of ghosts. That room was pretty tough, but Finn eventually figured out that we could put the gathered skeletons on a small funeral pyre, and the ghost still occupying our friendly neighborhood NPC would go away. And it did.

Finally, we started exploring the surrounding rooms, and encountered some animated armor racks that we've now beaten into submission. My plan is that we will close the door on that room, with us inside, and take a much-needed long rest tonight.

Sorry this was so long. It's been awhile since I posted, and you have nobody but yourself to blame for reading it.

The designs of the Age of Annihilation, and their ACES compatibility with VC
C3V "Easily the best quality classic customs I have ever seen."
= =