View Single Post
Old September 17th, 2020, 11:27 AM
Cooking Rice is Hard

OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun OEAO is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The (Cheese) Gauntlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vydar is the man View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vydar is the man View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by OrcElfArmyOne View Post
Bonding Melee:
4x Dwarves, Mogrimm, Arkmer
Why do you put Arkmer in with the dwarves at 450? I realize there is only 1 figure left, but I would run Me-Burq-Sa over Arkmer every time. Am I missing something?
Well, I don’t think MBS is that great when he’s not bonding. The reason he gets an A in my ratings is because he bonds with Romans and Death Chasers.

Further, Arkmer helps a lot in one of the toughest Dwarf matchups: Knights. 10th is bad too, but neither Arkmer nor MBS helps there. MBS really needs Raelin to compete with 10th at range. Arkmer also helps into Heavies, which is not irrelevant. I’m just not seeing a reason to take MBS over Arkmer with the current expected meta. I don’t think non-bonding MBS is generally better than Arkmer for the points anyways, and I think the upsides of Arkmer are even more important with Dwarves than with other armies.
I guess I'm undervaluing Arkmer's utility in those melee matchups. I assume you send him up to a choke point and Engagement Strike everything you can, while you develop? Is that worth the 2 OMs that it takes to get him there? Or is he ranged support? My assumption is the former, because I think MBS is better for a single range attack than Arkmer. My choice of MBS was for being able to kite pretty well in the endgame. I agree that he isn't great when not bonded but with 14 threat range, and Paralyzing Stare he is a pretty decent cleanup unit for 50 points, something that Arkmer can't achieve.

Funnily enough, I just listened to the Bonding Melee episode of Casters of Valhalla, and I feel like I'm still undervaluing those units, as if I'm still in the 2010 metagame. It doesn't help I only own 1 squad of knights.
Thanks for listening!

Well, I think most people undervalue- or, at least, underplay- bonding melee. It's really just me and Matthias (Ken) that main bonding melee at the high level tourneys.

For Arkmer, I'd just save him for the endgame against Knights/Heavies. The problem for MBS is that threat range isn't a great measurement for kiting. If he was 6 move/8 range, he'd be comically better at kiting. 6 range just isn't enough against Knights/Heavies. Arkmer has the upside of Engagement Strike and 4 attack, which gives him much better odds than MBS. I don't think MBS is a bad choice, but I think Arkmer is very underutilized.