View Single Post
Old March 29th, 2010, 09:40 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth Jexik is a man of the cloth
Re: Beyond the Obvious

In my opinion, the "non-obvious" stuff isn't something that we can post and be right about. It's something simple that works, and later becomes the obvious.

Like when spider combined Raelin with a typical Arrow Grut army to win GenCon in 2006, or when Matthias Maccabeus and Mantrain showed that Heavy Gruts are indeed competitive in a rat/raelin/range heavy environment.

Even stuff like Mittens or Mogrimm + anything is fairly obvious, because it's written on the cards. Nilfheim + Greenscales + Y is going to be pretty obvious. It's units like the Deathreavers and Stingers, when first utilized, that are the 'non-obvious' picks.*

I'll get back to you in September.

*I wonder how hard it is to come up with something completely new these days. The new units are theoryscaped so much these days before they hit the table, that people seem to already have decided how good they are before they even play them. The overall knowledge level is a lot higher than it was in 2006... and yet, Heavy Gruts still surprised a fair number of people at GenCon, and there are still deniers out there.

I think the closest thing I've played to a non-obvious army was the army I used at my second tournament:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jexik View Post
Outpost 2000 Open- Coon Rapids, MN Jan. 2008
3x Deathreavers, Cyprien Esenwein, Sonya Esenwein, Nilfheim, Marro Warriors
Loss to Snotwalker 8000, wins against Jormi and Supergeek, very close win against Codeman
Results 4-1
This army was fun for me, but really frustrating for my opponents. The game against SW8K was very intense in the middle, but then I clearly lost.
Battle Report
But it still used Deathreavers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)

Last edited by Jexik; March 29th, 2010 at 10:06 AM.