Heroscapers
Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports
Battle Reports Reports of your Heroscape Battles

Old January 7th, 2008, 10:33 AM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!
Jexik's Outpost 2000 tournament report

First off, I'd like to thank Wytefang and all of his helpers for doing a great job in making a fun and challenging day. Big thanks to Tchop for providing mid-day pizza.

As far as format goes, this tournament was pretty standard. 550 points, 24 hex starting zones, 5 rounds of Swiss play with point differential also factored in case of ties.

KaBoomboomBoom and I did a lot of preparation for this tournament, and the army I was originally going to bring didn't fare well against his "A+ Junk" army, so I tried something very different from my usual horde of common squads. The high 550 point total made me want to try using one of my favorite figures to use in a drafted game: Nilfheim. Once we discovered that flying in general would be rather useful on these maps, and that Deathreavers could be used to seal off chokepoints rather well, I settled on:

3x Deathreavers- Defender, map control
Nilfheim- Menacer, soulborg killer
Cyprien Esenwein- Shark, everything else killer
Sonya Esenwein- Cheerleader, Cyprien's blood momma
Marro Warriors- Cleanup
550 points, 20 hexes

Game 1: Earl: Major Q9, Nakita Agents, Kaemon Awa, Krav Maga Agents, Isamu, Marcu Esenwein
Map: Slithering Road by LongHeroscaper

Earl's first turn was on Marcu, who betrayed him. I rolled 5 attack dice from height at a Krav Agent, but failed to roll any skulls. My first three turns were on the rats. I ran forward and took the glyphs. They turned out to be Common Attack and Unique attack. Earl's next two turns were on Kaemon Awa, who Quick-released 3 rats to death. I put one back onto Ulaniva, and got ready for Round 2.

The next several rounds were rough for Earl. I loaded up my order markers on Cyprien and had him charge forward. In the first turn that he attacked Kaemon Awa, he got a 3 wound Chilling touch roll, and a 2 skull attack roll thanks to the attack glyph. Kaemon rolled only one shield and fed his Samurai blood to Cyprien. Cyprien then terrorized Marcu, the unique agent squads and Isamu, killing all but one Nakita Agent and even scoring 1 wound on Major Q9 with a glyph-boosted normal attack from height.

After that, around round 4 or 5, I tossed my 1 and X on Cyprien and my 2 and 3 and Nilfheim. With only half of his life force remaining, Cyprien beat a hasty retreat towards the nearest ruin to hide. I charged forward with Nilfheim. Earl advanced his Q9, seeking vengeance against Cyprien. On my first attack roll, Nilfheim rolled 4 skulls and Q9 rolled only one shield. Boom. Nilfheim then clawed the final Nakita Agent to death.

I felt kind of bad. That was the first time that either of us had seen Cyprien do so much damage, and the dice were definitely on my side. Earl took it well, and we agreed that it could only go up from there for him, and unfortunately, down for me.

MVP of the game: Cyprien Esenwein
Result: Win, +550 PD (lost 3 rats, not quite a squad)
Cumulative: 1-0, +550

Game 2: Snotwalker 8000 Kaemon Awa, Braxas, Raelin, KMA, 1x Deathreavers
Map: Shaolin Gardens by Wytefang

This game was intense. SW8K was playing a very similar army to mine in that he had a Dragon, a special attack, a little d20 action, a solid unique ranged squad, and some support.

We both put our first two turns on our Deathreavers, hoping to secure both glyphs if we won the initiative. He won the toss and proceeded to take the two glyphs. Brandar (decoy) was on his side, and Ulaniva (unique attack)was on mine. His third turn was on Raelin, and she took off towards the top of the hill that was on his side of the dividing line, but near the Ulaniva glyph. My 3rd turn was with Nilfheim, and he flew towards the center and managed to kill both of the Deathreavers near the Ulaniva glyph.

On the next round, Doug advanced his KMA and started taking shots at my Nilfheim. He caused 2 wounds and placed the agents in such a way that I would be unable to engage any of his KMA thanks to both of our Deathreavers being in the way. I had been hoping to pull off some crazy triple-ice shard KMA killing, but he prevented that from happening. Instead, I swung Nilfheim around to the edge of the map, placed him on height, and took a shot at Raelin and Braxas with ice shards, causing no wounds. Then his Kaemon Awa strode up, nonchalantly fired off his quick release special attack, causing 4 wounds in two attacks, killing Nilfheim. In those two attacks, he rolled 5 skulls on 8 dice, and I rolled 1 shield on my 10 dice.

At this point, my back was pretty much against the wall. I lost Nilfheim much, much sooner than I had expected. Kaemon, KMA, and Braxas were all within Raelin's aura, and she was in an excellent protected position. My plan was to take the Ulaniva glyph, and then do everything I could to have Cyprien take out Braxas. From there, I should theoretically be able to take out the rest of his army with Cyprien by virtue of healing off the damage- he works great against KMA and Kaemon.

First, I moved Cyprien up to the hill on my side, within flying range of his target. Kaemon stepped up and quick-released 2 rats, one of which was on the glyph. My next turn was again on Cyprien, and I went ahead with my plan. I engaged Raelin and Braxas, but decided to go all out on Braxas because it would likely take about 2 turns usually to kill Raelin anyway, so I might as well focus on Braxas, who had 2 order markers on her card. I rolled a 17 for Chilling Touch (15+2), causing 2 wounds. My normal attack did nothing. Braxas killed 2 rats and missed her roll against Cyprien. I rolled a 17 again for Chilling Touch and missed my normal attack again. Then Braxas gassed Cyprien with a 19 and killed another rat. That was pretty much the game.

From that point on, I had the unique attack glyph back, and the Marro Warriors actually ended up finishing off Braxas and being overall pretty threatening. Then I started blanking on defense and was down to one Marro Warrior. Going for the glory, my last Marro Warrior decided to try to attack the toughest thing he could. He had 4 attack dice against Kaemon, but I forgot two things: 1. Kae was still in Rae's Aura, 2. Kaemon has Counterstrike. Dead Marro.

Then in a bizarre turn of luck, Sonya Esenwein killed all three KMA, healing herself to full before Kaemon Awa quick-released her from her pain and suffering.

It was a great game and a well-played and deserved victory for Snotwalker 8000.

MVP of the game: Kaemon Awa
My MVP: Red Sonya- I'd never seen her do anything like that before!
Result: Loss, -240 PD
Cumulative: 1-1, +310

Game 3: Supergeek 3x Gladiatrons, 2x Blastatrons, Nilfheim
Map: Blood Domes by Wytefang

My first game only lasted about 19 minutes, so that gave me about 40 minutes to walk around and see what other people were running. Since I had Cyprien, I knew that any mostly-soulborg opponent could be a rough battle. Luckily, both of the people playing Gladiatrons and Blastatrons were also fielding about 190 units of vampire food. In order to beat the combo, I'd have to use Nilfheim to kill the Gladiatrons, and the Deathreavers to engage those that I'd be unable to kill quite as quickly. Once the Glads were out of the way, I'd use Cyprien to attempt to kill Nilfheim (or Drake and the KMA if I ever got a chance to play Wytefang). With this in mind, I felt prepared for the game against Supergeek.

As usual, I put my first two turns on the Deathreavers and my 3rd with Nilfheim, hoping to secure both glyphs and then fire some Ice Shards at whatever was closest. I found the Dagmar (+8 to Initiative) and Brandar (decoy) glyphs. On my second turn, I used my first two rats to secure the glyphs, and then moved two more rats to the left (Dagmar side). I held onto that glyph for the whole game. Nilf iced one gladiatron, staying behind a wall of rats.

We went back and forth for awhile with him clamping up my rats and then shooting them with powerful attacks of 3-5 dice. Unfortunately for SG though, I almost always had a rat to replace a fallen one, and I used Scatter every chance I had. Nilfheim was killing Gladiatrons at about the same rate, so it started to look bad for Scott from a point perspective. Once I got him down to about 2 unengaged Gladiatrons, and about 2 stuck to rats, I flew Nilfheim over the map's characteristic blood domes and killed those that were advancing on that side. Then he moved in his Nilfheim and hit mine for about 2 wounds. Cyprien was nearby however, and I scored a lucky natural 20 on his Chilling Touch, 1-shotting the dragon King.

After that, it was pretty much over. To make it end more quickly, I started rolling 4 skulls about half the time with Nilfheim's ice shards. This was another one that I felt guilty about winning. I had contemplated playing the exact army that SuperGeek brought. I had played it about 5 times two weeks prior, so I knew what it's weaknesses were, and how to beat it on Blood Domes. I'd be happy to play a rematch some time in a less competitive situation.

MVP: Nilfheim
Result: Win, +510 (7 rats dead, not quite 2 squads)
Cumulative: 2-1, +820

Game 4: Jormi_Boced 3x Sentinels of Jandar, Raelin, KMA, Isamu, Guilty
Map: Blood Domes again

Jormi started by taking his first two turns with Sentinels, and I started with my usual two on Deathreavers, and one on Nilfheim. He won initiative, so he actually took both glyphs thanks to the Sentinels' flying ability. The glyphs were Gerda (defense +1 and on my left) and Valda (move+2 on my right). I foolishly moved Nilfheim forward, killing one Sentinel on the Gerda glyph with ice shards. Then he moved Raelin onto that same Glyph.

Since Jormi had so much defense, I decided that the best course of action would be to ignore it entirely. I put my 1, 3, and X on Cyprien, and my 2 on the rats. Cyprien moved in and killed the Sentinel on the Valda glyph. There weren't any other unengaged sentinels within 4 spaces, so I knew it would be mine. I moved a Deathreaver there on my second turn and moved more towards Jormi's starting zone. Cyprien then had 10 Stealth Flying for the rest of the game, which was truly a thing of nightmares.

The rest of the game was pretty boring and cheap, but it seemed like the best thing to do. The most offense he could muster with anything in his army was 3 attacks of 3 dice, so I did everything I could to make sure that those attacks would not all be hitting Cyprien. I flitted him about, killing any unengaged figures that I could find, and healing any damage that he did take. Jormi was left with an army with no special attacks, so he took to the slow process of beating up rats in the hope that he'd eventually be free of their infestation.

Once everything seemed under control, I went back and killed Raelin and got a Deathreaver onto the defense glyph. Cyprien was pretty much invincible at that point.

I never moved my Nilfheim, which was a blunder. Over the course of the game, one Sentinel kept attacking him, and I was rolling hardly any shields with him. Eventually, 2 squads of rats and Nilfheim fell to Jandarian hammers.

I won, but I owe the victory more to the map and an unlucky army matchup for Jormi than anything clever that I did. With no special attacks he had little recourse for reavers, and not enough offense to kill Cyprien reliably.

MVP: Deathreavers
Result: Win, +285
Cumulative: 3-1, +1105 PD

Game 5: Codeman 5x Minions of Utgar
Map: Battle for Shroikan Grove by Snotwalker 8000

No more Orcs for Codeman. He's tired of being predictable with his armies made up entirely of however many Arrow Gruts and helpers fit in a given point total, so he went with this truly terrifying army that just screams to be played in a 550 point game.

I started out for the first two rounds almost exclusively playing Deathreavers. I was scared of those helions. Codeman got his glyph first, which turned out to be Brandar (dud). Erland (summoning) was on my side. Since I didn't want to bring Nilfheim or Cyprien any closer than I had to, and because Codeman had nothing that I wanted to kill yet, I summoned my own Deathreaver up and moved it forward.

The rest of the game was kind of slow going. Codeman would move some Minions up, and attack with one. He'd often whiff, or I'd block the damage. Then I'd scatter Deathreavers that are adjacent to another one that he just moved and engage a Minion that he had already attacked with, or that didn't move this turn. Doing this little 'rat dance' meant that he'd very rarely attack with any more than 1-2 Minions per turn. Meanwhile, I was going through a rather slow process of using Ice Shard Special attack to kill Minions, always careful never to put Nilfheim next to raised ground. I did not want to face a 3 die attack from Minions. I also moved Cyprien up to get a few chilling touches, but he got axed in just two quick 2 skull die rolls.

On one crucial turn in the middle of the game, Codeman moved up 3 Minions adjacent to Nilfheim. He rolled 1 skull each time, and I rolled 2, 2, 1 on my shields, so I only took one wound. Then I ice sharded back and killed 2 of them. Nilfheim died shortly after, but he brought around 8 Minions with him total.

It was down to about 5-6 minions vs. 2 rats, a full squad of Marro Warriors, and a heartbroken Sonya Esenwein. Now I kept the rats both adjacent to the nearest Minion and left them there. Because most of our other turns were so fast, we were still good on time, and with some fancy footwork and cloning, the Marro Warriors were ultimately able to dispatch of the remaining Minions. Those little guys can be insanely clutch!

This was another really close game with Codeman, and I think it definitely could have gone either way if the dice were a bit kinder to him. He whiffed his attack rolls an awful lot it seemed, and it was far more common than 2 skull rolls for him.

MVP: Marro Warriors
Result: Win, +95 points
Cumulative: 4-1, +1200 PD, (4th place)

I owe a lot of my success to the relentless week of playtesting against K-Boom, who played 3x 4th Mass, Major Q9, Raelin, and 2x Deathreavers. If your army can handle ranged squads, Q9, Raelin, and Deathreavers, you might just have a good army on your hands I had gone 0-8 against that army in our practice games, until I came up with this one, which went 2-1 against A+ Junk.

Edit: After the tournament, I fiddled around with mathguy's matchup calculator, and it turns out that my Cyprien only had about a 20% chance of beating SW8K's Braxas in that situation, so it wasn't nearly as much of a coin toss as I had previously thought. Also, my Cyprien only had about a 65% chance of killing Earl's Kaemon Awa in a duel- that game may have gone very differently if Cyprien died.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fomox View Post
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old January 7th, 2008, 01:17 PM
The Guy That Thinks Runa is Good (and has actually won games with her)

killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death! killercactus is hot lava death!
Both Sonya and her daughter Iskra can be rather effective cleanup figures against thinned out squads. The 2 lady vampires seem to be assumed as support characters only and left to die once their stronger counterparts leave the battlefield. I've seen Iskra (as the last remaining figure) kill off 200 points by herself to win the game.

Also, your first game and Cyprien's killing spree also doesn't surprise me. Depending on your opponent's army structure, Cyprien can easily earn back double his points (especially if Sonya is Cheerleading from a corner). I'm always afraid to play him in a tournament setting though in case I run into Q9 + Rats or Trons, against which he just gets wrecked.

Like battle reports? Click Tourney Reports (New 10/21/2012 - Cutters / Brutes!)
KC's Maps
Click KC's Customs
Scaper of the Week #57
Old January 7th, 2008, 03:25 PM

Bloody the Marro Stinger knows what's in an order marker Bloody the Marro Stinger knows what's in an order marker Bloody the Marro Stinger knows what's in an order marker
Great reports! It's minor, but by the wording of this, you couldn't have moved a Rat onto the glyph since Kaemon was using Quick Release unless you had your 3 on them.

Bloody the Marro Stinger is the Chimeran Ravager in the....
KEEP OF THE NECRONOMICON
Old January 7th, 2008, 03:37 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death! Jexik is hot lava death!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody the Marro Stinger
Great reports! It's minor, but by the wording of this, you couldn't have moved a Rat onto the glyph since Kaemon was using Quick Release unless you had your 3 on them.
I had 3 turns on Deathreavers in the first round in that first game, and I think he won initiative.

Quote:
(I've also played many matches with great, fun people who were using Q9. So using Q9 doesn't make you a tool. But being a tool sure seems to make you use Q9.)
Old January 7th, 2008, 03:51 PM

Bloody the Marro Stinger knows what's in an order marker Bloody the Marro Stinger knows what's in an order marker Bloody the Marro Stinger knows what's in an order marker
Ah. The text didn't make that very clear unless I missed something.
Now back to reading.
Edit: Sweet! Who won, though? In any case, awesome job on the 3rd/4th place!

Bloody the Marro Stinger is the Chimeran Ravager in the....
KEEP OF THE NECRONOMICON
Old January 7th, 2008, 04:30 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bloody the Marro Stinger
Ah. The text didn't make that very clear unless I missed something.
Now back to reading.
Edit: Sweet! Who won, though? In any case, awesome job on the 3rd/4th place!
Phloid won. He played another army that I thought about taking (I thought about taking lots of armies.) My army's mobility and offensive nature fit my play style better. K-boom was also using my Q9, heh.

Phloid went 5-0 with:
Major Q9 180
Krav Maga Agents 280

Raelin 360
Laglor 470
2x Deathreavers 550

Quote:
Old January 7th, 2008, 05:30 PM

Supergeek knows what's in an order marker Supergeek knows what's in an order marker
Nice report.
It was good to meet you and KaBoomboomBoom.
I would love a rematch. I knew if I was paired up with you I would need my A game and I brought something like a C-. By far my worst beating of the day.

I <3 HeroScape tournaments!
Old January 7th, 2008, 07:38 PM
I'm Heroscape's Birthbuddy

Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby! Nadom rolls all skulls baby!
Great report, Jexik! That army looks devastating. I only wish I had access to another set of rats so I could try it out.
Old January 7th, 2008, 11:20 PM
Et tu, Jaxet?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nadom
Great report, Jexik! That army looks devastating. I only wish I had access to another set of rats so I could try it out.
I really liked playing it. I'll probably use something similar in future tournaments. I really like the mix of control over my opponent and high mobility for my own figures. Braxas and special attackers really reduce the effectiveness of Deathreavers though. I'm also unsure of what I'd do if I faced another Cyprien army besides lead with my Cyprien and hope for the best.

I used Nagrubs as proxies for Deathreavers during my playtesting. I ended up buying my 3rd squad just days before the tourney.

One interesting thing for me in writing this is that I find it to be much easier to remember my battles and write a report for an army with more Uniques in it. My 4th Mass games were pretty dull and monotonous.

Quote:
Old February 15th, 2008, 03:53 PM
so CUTE when he's bitter

Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla Heroscape Elffy is inducted into the Halls of Valhalla
Who is KMA?
Old February 15th, 2008, 04:15 PM

yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby! yagyuninja rolls all skulls baby!
Krav Maga Agents.
Old February 15th, 2008, 08:09 PM
Midol, King of PMS

Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby! Oh Yeah! I'm Here rolls all skulls baby!
:banana:

Go Back   Heroscapers > HeroScapers Community > Battle Reports