View Single Post
Old November 15th, 2010, 10:20 PM
Captain Underpants

Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun Matt Helm is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The HelmAverse Custom Expansion

I've moved the original explanation as to why this thread was created right here (for historical significance ).
-------------------------------------------
Thanks to my partnership with the great A3n, we were able to create the HelmAverse Marvelscape Reinforcement Packs. And thanks to the C3G and all of the other great superhero custom creators on this site, the Marvel Heroscape line has filled out with a fair number of army card options for comic book fans.

On the now finalized official front, D&D Heroscape had more than satisfied the fantasy loving, role playing gamers and expanded the overall boundaries of the Heroscape gaming rules.

Well, what about the science fiction fan base? Sure there are threads for Star Wars customs, and even Star Trek heroclix figures to be used by customs creators coming soon. But what ever happened to those elusive Space Marines that everyone had been craving. “Can somebody please bring back the balance of the Battle of all Time and give me some needed SciFi themed goodness for classic Scape?”

Welcome to our new custom thread.
----------------------------------------------------------

I. HAVOK SKIRMISH

In a universe cast into darkness, a new force exploded through a tear in space known as the “Great Rift”. They destroyed those who stood before them and enslaved those who survived imposing Imperial law under their Karnian Kodex.

After 5000 years of slaughter and terror, freedom fighters have banded together and formed the powerful battle fleets of the Nexus Rebellion. They aim to disrupt the Karn, attacking small garrison worlds and isolated outposts, and then departing back into deep space before superior Imperial forces arrive.

Humans on the core planets are shorter than they once were after generations of living in artificial gravity environments with little personal room, but they are just as passionate and vigilante as always. Karnians are merciless and highly trained, yet they have become overly confident in their methods and vulnerable to creative rebel assault tactics.

The Battle of All Time has now merged with the Battle of All Space. A struggle that has spanned millennia has given rise to some of the greatest heroes the cosmos has ever seen. I invite you to join in and take command of either the imperials or the rebels. Wage the battles on the interplanetary backdrop of this cosmic war as a stand alone experience, or summon these heroes to Valhalla as mercenaries, willing to give their lives for the generals of heroscape, while never forgetting their eternal allegiances.

II. BATTLEBALL

It is a violent universe. One full of blood spilled through the generations. But even amid this chaos, the central planets with imperial stability have developed gladiator type games for the blood thirsty entertainment of the Klan leaders and brutal warlords. These games of extreme violence are used not to escape the blood bath that encircles them, but rather remind them of it.

From these games true warriors have risen and when the championship winning Iron Wolves used their interplanetary tour to escape from the game system, the Karn leaders were furious. But when these “ballers” were witnessed fighting along side the Nexus Rebellion, the Karn Empire drafted the loyal and merciless members of the Black Harts, sending them on a suicide mission to collide with their rebelling rivals.

III. QA’AN

In 5,000 years of Karnian rule, among many planets haunted by oppressive rule, some seemingly harmless cultures and lost creatures had managed to adapt and survive. Living through the generations as best they could, blending in with nature and maintaining faith in their mystical theology was all that kept them from extinction.

But with the recent uprising of the Nexus Rebellion and the raping of their worlds through ravenous war, the once unnoticed forces of nature have risen up in many forms. From powerful sea dragons and alien arthropods to the inventive creations of the Tinker Gnomes, these unlikely forces have joined under the flag of their mystical faith they call Qa’an, to battle with anyone that threatens their homes.

----------------------------------------------------------

Havok History: In 1997 Bluebird Toys released Havok Skirmish across the pond. The game was an obvious precursor to Heroscape. The minis are prepainted plastic on strikingly similar bases with terrain like stickers. The set is expandable with non-blind purchases of squads to build on, each designated to a faction. Even the dice and stat cards are similar.

Read more:
Boardgamegeek
Havok Wiki
Small Scale World

(I would like to thank 1moreheroscaper for not only introducing me to this great find, but also to helping me obtain some of the rare minis I used for these customs. Like everybody here, he is a class act. Hopefully, he will also be sharing his great ideas for customs in the Havok world and the choices will be plentiful for all who are interested.)

Battleball History: In 2003 Milton Bradley/Hasbro released the Craig Van Ness / Stephen Baker collaboration known as Battleball. Although no expansion sets were ever released, this game had enormous potential. If only there were individual cards (and thus special powers) for each unit on the team... but then again, that would be Heroscape on a football field.

The game is still widely available at both ridiculous "Brand New" prices, and very affordable "used" e-bay prices. I recommend it to all for the cool minis alone. The fun to play simple game rules is just a bonus.

Last edited by Matt Helm; October 20th, 2011 at 05:21 PM.