View Single Post
Old March 30th, 2021, 01:32 AM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: The Pre-SoV Workshop

I thought that this draft was more inspired by the actual
Wulfings from Beowulf Wulfings from Beowulf
rather than D&D characters. If there's a D&D group called the Wulfing Hunters that these miniatures closely resemble, then that does beg the question of why they aren't those D&D guys.

More generally, there are lots of revisions being tossed around here. I have to confess that I'm not completely sure what direction you're aiming for with this design, @Shiftrex ; originally it seemed like the intention was to offer some kind of thematic Hunter synergy for units like Dünd and the Master of the Hunt. Any design that adds new synergy (especially any form of bonding) is going to attract more criticism than something that is standalone. That doesn't make the idea outright untenable, but it's worth noting that Hunter synergy is definitely an uphill battle, if that is core to your design goal here.

If it isn't, then I think that the design would be aided by focusing on what you view as the core. Pack Hunters / Coordinated Hunting and Lurking Hunter Strategic Hunter Bonding is largely getting lost in the weeds; if you want a 2-man squad that conditionally acts as a 4-man squad, then just do that (albeit I think it's worth noting that would also face scrutiny). Tacking on an engagement clause to Strategic Bonding feels like it's asking to be streamlined. This split focus was already present to a certain degree with the old draft being able to conditionally be a 4-man squad or bond with an unengaged Hunter, as I had indicated earlier, but it becomes especially apparent when those powers are separated and made more complicated.

I think that Scytale's dichotomy of simple powers exemplifies this quite well. Either draft is thematic, and the subtle changes between Isolated Prey and Hunting Pack hint at a theme. I thought that the submitted draft evoked hunting parties, but I'm not seeing that connection anymore with the change to Strategic Bonding. That makes me wonder why they can always move 4 unengaged figures but only attack with 2 unless they didn't follow their party leader (which can only be done when two of them are engaged). There's just too much going on there, and I think that it muddies a design that could otherwise very strongly evoke hunters.

It sounds from your posts that you want some kind of developing power to help them function better as a two-man squad--if that's the case, then some kind of movement synergy is plenty even if they don't get more than 2 attacks per turn--but really, the best route here is probably to take what you find most exciting about the design and focus on that. I think that the Wulfing could function very well as the hunting party following the big guys like Arktos and Himmelskralle into battle, but they could also go many different directions that each will appeal to different people more.

EDIT: I see that your most recent post now contains a similar sentiment to all of the focuses currently being too much, but I'll leave this post up anyway.