View Single Post
Old April 10th, 2021, 12:32 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: TAF's Customs FELLOWSHIP OF THE RING - AMON HEN

I like a lot of your LotR customs overall! Here are some thoughts on the most recent set, along with a couple of others that caught my attention:

I love the idea of having some Treasure Glyphs and the forces of good mostly being heroes against some evil common squads. It feels very thematic. I'm not a huge fan of Lembas Bread, but that's entirely because it feels like a stronger Potion of Healing. That's mostly true for Bonding Heroes or in Classic Scape, though, since the flexibility to be able to use the Bread any time instead of after just revealing an Order Marker is quite powerful, even if it requires giving up an attack.

Mechanically, I feel like Abduct could be very powerful and/or frustrating for the Hobbits since it actively prevents them from doing anything for potentially the rest of the game if things are set up well enough (especially with Lurtz' movement power). Perhaps limiting it to only remove their ability to move or make LEAs would help? That way they could at least make an attack to try to free themselves, even if there are plenty of other Orcs surrounding them and making the attempt mostly futile.

Is Abduct intended to work against opposing small figures that are adjacent to medium+ figures that player controls, or medium+ figures friendly to that player?

Lurtz is super thematic as a captain, I think. I really like how instead of normal bonding, he has a movement activation synergy that ties really nicely into Abduct. Longbow SA is also downright nasty; the movement restriction is a good way of keeping it in check since he has to be developed somewhat independently, though. I'm not sure that I love that each power is completely mutually exclusive, but that's definitely for the best given how strong they are. I like how Longbow counters Boromir, too, if Boromir is already wounded.

Speaking of Boromir, the interaction between Horn of Gondor and One Shield Defense is pretty interesting. Most of the time, he'll probably only be able to reinforce one figure... But on the off chance that he whiffs and kicks the bucket early, he can potentially get a lot of leverage out of moving his allies. I assume that Horn of Gondor is intended to work even if he receives enough wounds to be destroyed?

The Balrog seems very powerful for its points to me. Attack subtraction is a very strong defensive power, especially as a passive benefit at 6 spaces on an 8L/4D figure. It's not quite as good as Raelin, but it's still better than a +1D, 5-range aura against all melee armies. With range, it's a bit easier to take down the Balrog, of course, but that's still a huge aura size to have to work around. Couple that with Jotun-like stats (losing out on 2 move and 1A for +1L and Whirlwind Strike/Chain Grab) and it seems a little crazy. I think that either bumping up the points or decreasing the aura size would help here. Of course, adding more Valiant figures capable of killing the Balrog also helps, too, if you were planning to make a Gandalf the White with better offensive power as well. The Fellowship will just be in a lot of trouble if they don't have Gandalf, then, which isn't unthematic.

That's all the time that I have for now, but I'll try to stop in again sometime to check out the Fellowship itself again. Nice work on these customs!