View Single Post
Old November 26th, 2018, 01:39 PM

Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun Astroking112 is a penguin with a machine gun
Re: An Impactful Customs Creator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy Orang View Post
Now, that feels different to me - you'd be designing a unit to help Dund for the purpose of helping Dund - that's the 'Why?', SoV is almost incidental. (It's also a 'Why' I can absolutely get behind, I've long toyed with the idea of a Doggin squad to bond with Large Hunters - Dund, Feral Troll and Master of the Hunt could all use the help, if only I could find a figure.) I just think that a lot of people seem to be more focused on appeasing SoV judges than achieving a design they're happy with, and that personal customs seem to have become less valued with 'accepted' custom communities out there. I think that valued personal customs are something we could do with more of - a unit doesn't need to be pushed, filed, stamped, indexed, briefed, debriefed and numbered (sorry, been watching a lot of The Prisoner lately) to be worth note.
I guess that it would be fair to call it a "how" rather than a "why." If you look at it from that angle, then it's still an integral part of the design process (since in that example, the unit has to be acceptable to SoV to fulfill its purpose), but it isn't the inspiration.

Personal customs being valued less is definitely a shame. I have fun looking through everyone's random designs (and making my own for things that I'm a fan of), but that's naturally bound to happen when a subset of customs can become "official." The line between designers and fans has disappeared, and we're now seeing normal playtesting for potential "official" units in the same forum as customs that have no intention of ever entering the canon. They're two very different goals and mindsets, and I think that both are equally valid.

On an unrelated note, now I want that Doggin squad to exist, too.