View Single Post
Old September 15th, 2013, 07:11 PM
Never CoN a CoN man

johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth johnny139 is a man of the cloth
Re: The Book of Captain Marvel (Genis-Vell) (Playtesting Pha

Alright, not what I wanted to hear, but I definitely trust TrollBrute on this one because I've suspected the same.

I'm thinking we lower the cap to 3, like he suggests, up the roll slightly (1-6), send him out again at 360 and hope for the best. Other thoughts?

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrollBrute
NAME OF THE TEST UNIT Captain Marvel

- THEME TEST/ Check to see if there are any powers or stats on the test unit card that does not accurately reflect the theme or likeness of what the character would and could do. Also consider destructible objects, and whether or not this characters powers should affect them.
Pass

- MIRROR TEST/ Check to see if the unit were played against itself, if there would be any loops that would upset the balance of the Game.
Pass

- BONDING TEST/ Compare the unit card with all possible currently existing Bonding abilities to make sure there are no continual Bonding possibilities that do not stop appropriately or do not stop at all. This is to prevent loops in Bonding.
Pass

- SYNERGIES TEST/ Compare the unit card with all possible currently existing synergies to make sure there are no factors that could break the game by making any unit too powerful or too weak.
Pass

- POWER CHECK/ Consider the test unit and all existing units and all glyphs to compare to and check for any powers that could be over amplified and break the game. Each power must define when it takes place, who or what it affects, and What are the stipulations on the power if there are any.
Pass

- FUN TEST/ Consider whether or not the design was fun to play.
Pass

- FUN COMPETITIVE TEST/ Consider whether or not the design was fun to play against.
Pass

- DRAFTING TEST/ Consider whether or not this design is worth drafting.
Pass

- USAGE TEST/ Consider whether or not all of the powers on this card were used or at least usable.
Pass

- STRATEGY TEST/ Consider whether or not the design offers any real strategy or interesting tactics to the overall game.
Pass

Army Test 1
- Does it pass, Yes or No? Yes.
- What should be the unit's point value? 370-390
- Give a brief overview.A loss here, but that's mostly because Mentallo was INSANE. Most of the the other Mutants couldn't touch Captain Marvel, but Mentallo was able to turn Ronan and the Kree Scouts against him, causing him to deal a lot of damage to his own team. Most of the damage that Marvel dealt out was through Cosmic Awareness.
Map: Custom

Units: Captain Marvel (370), Ronan (360), Kree Scout x8 (320) (1050) VS Professor Xavier (220), Jean Grey (180), Siryn, (140), Pyro (120), Mentallo (135), Toad (95), Angel (90), Shadowcat (80) (1060)

Unit Summary:
Damage: 5 Kree Scouts destroyed, 3 wounds to Ronan, 2 wounds to Mentallo, 4 wounds to Jean, 4 wounds to Pyro, 1 wound to Toad, 1 wound to Shadowcat, 3 wounds to Xavier.
Cosmic Awareness: 3 rolls subtracted from; 18 wounds inflicted.
Cosmic Madness: 1-6: 4 times out of 16 rolls; switched 0 times.

Spoiler Alert!

Army Test 2
- What should be the unit's point value? 360-380
- Give a brief overview.A rematch of the first game just with Mentallo replaced by Blink (more points, I know, but I honestly thought the Kree were going to win this one. They really should have, but Ronan's roll were awful). Captain Marvel did less damage, but it was a much closer game.
Map: Custom

Units: Captain Marvel (370), Ronan (360), Kree Scout x8 (320) (1050) VS Professor Xavier (220), Jean Grey (180), Siryn, (140), Pyro (120), Blink (145), Toad (95), Angel (90), Shadowcat (80) (1070)

Unit Summary:
Damage: 2 wounds to Blink, 3 wounds to Pyro, 3 wound to Toad, 2 wounds to Jean, 4 to Siryn.
Cosmic Awareness: 3 rolls subtracted from; 3 wounds inflicted.
Cosmic Madness: 1-6: 2 times out of 9 rolls. Switched 0 times.

Spoiler Alert!

Army Test 3

- What should be the unit's point value? 370+
- Give a brief overview.I wanted to see how Captain Marvel would fare against some larger attacks so I treid him against the Skrulls (which was also neatly thematic). He did much less damage with Cosmic Awareness, but he did more than enough with his normal attack. Had it not been for a couple of really untimely defense whiffs from the Kree heroes, this wouldn't have even been close.
Map: Mountain Spring

Units: Captain Marvel (370), Quasar (370), Kree Scout x4 (160) (1000) VS Super Skrull (Rl'nnd, 280), Super Skrull (Kl'rt, 340), Skrull Warriors x3 (330), Skrull Inflitrators x5 (50) (1000)

Unit Summary:
Damage: 3 Skrull Warriors destroyed, 5 wounds to S-S (Rl'nnd), 1 wound to S-S (Kl'rt).
Cosmic Awareness: 0 rolls subtracted from; 3 wounds inflicted.
Cosmic Madness: 1-6: 1 times out of 5 rolls. Switched 0 times.

Spoiler Alert!

A couple of losses here, I know, but that had little to do with Marvel. Game 1 was only a loss due to Mentallo being near-broken in an Xavier army and in Game 2 they were down 20 points against a tough team. Captain Marvel felt like a 400+ point figure in all 3 games. Even if they were the same cost, I would always draft him over Mar-Vell. Genis-Vell has 1 less attack and no Stealth Flying, but he has an extra Life (which is a big deal on a figure with Cosmic Awareness) and the possibility of getting an even higher attack. Currently, he's better than Mar-vell rather than worse and Mar-Vell can already feel undercosted at 400.

The big problem is that Cosmic Madness is a huge plus, rather than the negative it seems like it's supposed to be. I did everything I could to drive him crazy in the first two games (lots of attacks, tons of D20 rolls for him to effect...), and he didn't turn once. If you really want him to be switching teams more often, I would suggest capping the markers at 3. Even then, I would also bump the roll to a 1-7 or even a 1-8.